News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Gas Gage Accuracy

Started by gatling, June 24, 2006, 07:25:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gatling

Boys, my apologies in advance if this has already been covered...

My gas gage appears to be inaccurate.  It is approaching the red zone after about 3.6 gallons.  

Any comments?
Gatling

www.motofoto.cc

2006 KLR 650

2006 Tiger

NortonCharlie

SOunds about right, Mine the fuel light comes on at the bottom of the red then has a gallon left and the gage runs down to the stop pin which is empty
01 Dew Green 955i Tiger

02 Sprint RS

74 Norton 850 Commando

Sofalofa2005

mine doesn't move for the first 50 miles or so... it hits the halfway mark about 150 miles and then drops like a stone. Hits red about 185 miles and fuel light comes on consistently between 195 and 200 miles

jmoonx14

Quote from: "Sofalofa2005"mine doesn't move for the first 50 miles or so... it hits the halfway mark about 150 miles and then drops like a stone. Hits red about 185 miles and fuel light comes on consistently between 195 and 200 miles

That's exactly what mine does. Once I get the warning light I know I have about 1.5 - 2 gallons left. I have twice gassed up as soon as I get a consistant warning light and it takes just over 4 gallons to top it off. The gage is subjective and learning what it really indicates is important.

From experience on other bikes without any gage I have learned to reset the trip meter and gas up at the worse case mileage. In the case of the Tiger I focus on 200 miles between fill ups and the gage is just for eyeballing but I really dont put any weight in the fuel level that it indicates.

The odd shape of the tank makes it pretty meaningless anyway as any float would only show the level in the tank and not actual volume.
~ Joel

\'06 Tiger 955i armed with Oly E-500 dSLR and Oly Mu 810

Advwannabe

Even though I've only put three tanks through this bike, filling up as soon as the light starts coming on has been around 18l each time, meaning @6l left. So the light has been consistant even if the guage hasn't. The next question is do you get the full advertised 24l ( or whatever gallons us/Brit etc..) or something less?
No good deed goes unpunished
02 Tigger
02 Blackbird
75 GT380
IBA #33180

Advwannabe

Even though I've only put three tanks through this bike, filling up as soon as the light starts coming on has been around 18l each time, meaning @6l left. So the light has been consistant even if the guage hasn't. The next question is do you get the full advertised 24l ( or whatever gallons us/Brit etc..) or something less?
No good deed goes unpunished
02 Tigger
02 Blackbird
75 GT380
IBA #33180

tigerrob1090

i filled up on a trip to wales did 207 before light came on .. 03 tiger pretty good eh....!
tiger time not work time..........!

used2jeep

I think I usually put in 4.7 or so (US gallons) when the light comes on.  Then I fill it to the bottom of the neck.  +/- 44 mpg maybe...  I wish I could get the 50 or so but I didn't understand that mpg thread.  

HTH
AF&AM, AANOMS, IBA

Save $5 when you open a SmugMug account. Use the following coupon: R8d8tS3bmlzLw

Patrick the Scot

Yep, ignore the gauge and fuel up by mileage.  I fuel up when the trip-meter hits 240 miles. Done this way since new (8,500 miles worth) and works every time.
"As far back as I can remember... I always wanted to be a gangster" - Good Fellas

Texas Tech Red Raiders - 2008 BIG IIX NCAAF CHAMPS

gatling

Duh, these things have a fuel warning light?  Guess I gotta read that manual.  

I got exactly 49 mpg on the third tank, which I think is pretty good.  

Thanks for the feedback.

Gatling

www.motofoto.cc

2006 KLR 650

2006 Tiger

Bruincounselor

Quote from: "used2jeep"Then I fill it to the bottom of the neck.  +/- 44 mpg maybe...  I wish I could get the 50 or so HTH

Last weekend I made a 200 mile jaunt to visit w/savagetodd. 200 miles at 80 MPH w/strong wind = 50 MPG

200 miles the other way, same speed, same wind = 35 MPG - My worst highway mileage ever.

I do havve larger cs sprocket and HT bags so YMMV

Bruin
Bruin\'

JRO

Gas guage accuracy?

You must be kidding.
JRO

2006 Tiger

dancope

I have close to 34,000 miles on my '04 and I must say the gage is very accurate, to itself.  Fuel mileage changes with wind (see Oklahoma) and gets a lot better in montains, yet the tank takes the same amount at the same gage level. I would say just learn your bike.  Also, the light always comes on with 5 gals gone.

JRO

Quote from: "dancope"I have close to 34,000 miles on my '04 and I must say the gage is very accurate, to itself.  Fuel mileage changes with wind (see Oklahoma) and gets a lot better in montains, yet the tank takes the same amount at the same gage level. I would say just learn your bike.  Also, the light always comes on with 5 gals gone.

'Accurate, to itself'...  Well, that's one way of looking at it.

It does always read 'full', when it's full, and it does always read near 'empty' when it's just below half. So, I guess you could call that 'accurate'. To itself, that is.

The light, however: that comes on when it's got 1.1 gallons left - not 5 gone. It seems to be right on the money, too.
JRO

2006 Tiger

Cosidering the gauge markings are a "1" at the top and a "red" bit at the bottom with a line at half way. How do you expect to "gauge" (pun intended, sorry) its accuracy?

I've found that when the needle is at the half way mark, it's a good "gauge" of the range I'll get from that tank full, i.e. if I've done 110 miles at that point, I'll get 220 when the light comes on. So it's accurate enough like that for a bit of "fuel stop" planning.

I have thought, though, that it would have been better to have the light come on when the needle hits the top of the red bit. Then we could have got some indication of what's left as the needle was dropping through then red zone. Oh well!

I've consistently put 18 litres in when the light's just come on.

And, to answer an earlier question ; no, dont expect to get all of the remaining 6 litres out. I'd play safe and count on getting 4.5 litres(1 gallon UK). Well, actually I wouldn't. I fill up at the first convenient place after the light comes on.