News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Air box mod

Started by Sasquatch, July 03, 2006, 07:22:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sasquatch

While chasing down a cooling issue yesterday, I finally got around to modding my air box a bit.

Looking at the area of the three intake throttle bodies, then at the two snorkles in the center divider of the airbox, things did not add up.  At full bore, the center divider and the intake rubber snorkle are a restriction to flow.

So, I took apart my airbox and removed both.  I then calculated the area of the throttle bodies vs. the area of the intake hole (where the snorkle was) and added a couple more 1" diameter holes near the intake snorkle area.

Riding impressions:

Bike has a modified Morowaki Ti race can, race map, and K&N filter.

Bike actually lost a slight bit of grunt down low.  Very minimal.  For off road this may actually be nice.

Under full throttle, when you approach 5k rpms, it flat rips and snorts now.  Vastly improved pull.  SOPD (seat of pants dyno) thinks it could be in the 5-8 hp increase range.

Brother Number One

2015-16 USA & C.America: http://sawthingsclearer.com (click it, click it, click iiiit) 04 silver Tiger, Touratech Zega panniers, CCC titanium can, NWS hugger

Chris Canning

If you trawl through the history,you'll see i posted that mod well over a year ago,got it of a Tiger Yahoo site, a Dutch mag did a comparo between two bikes,i did mine well over a year ago.

¥TigerTamer?

Quote from: "Sasquatch"While chasing down a cooling issue yesterday, I finally got around to modding my air box a bit.

Looking at the area of the three intake throttle bodies, then at the two snorkles in the center divider of the airbox, things did not add up.  At full bore, the center divider and the intake rubber snorkle are a restriction to flow.

So, I took apart my airbox and removed both.  I then calculated the area of the throttle bodies vs. the area of the intake hole (where the snorkle was) and added a couple more 1" diameter holes near the intake snorkle area.

Riding impressions:

Bike has a modified Morowaki Ti race can, race map, and K&N filter.

Bike actually lost a slight bit of grunt down low.  Very minimal.  For off road this may actually be nice.

Under full throttle, when you approach 5k rpms, it flat rips and snorts now.  Vastly improved pull.  SOPD (seat of pants dyno) thinks it could be in the 5-8 hp increase range.

You didn't happen to snap any pics there, now  did ya Big Guy?

2005 Triumph Tiger 955i

2004 Triumph Daytona 955i SE (sold)

1995 Triumph Trophy 1200 (RIP)

Green Lantern

Come on, now. You can't talk that way to us and not post any pics. :smt026

tomla

you can get the same effect with less noise by removing the rubber snorkel, drilling a 1" hole across from it, and then drilling 3  1" holes in the divider plate, which is no fun to remove if you're going to do it cleanly.  Bonus, you don't lose all the low end the airbox was engineered to make.

erwinvw

again... for slow pokes like me,, any pics?!

Chris Canning

To be honest there's not a lot to take a picture of,just look through the slot were the filter goes and you'll see a blanking plate with two large holes,that blanking plate needs to come out,don't be tempted to try and open the two halfs of the box,get a Dremel or similar and cut it out use an air line or vacum cleaner to get ride of the mess,the problem with removing the snorkel you'll run the risk of water getting into the airbox.

If you not confident,i wasn't!!! i bought a spare airbox of e-bay for peanuts,it takes longer to clean the mess up than to cut the plate out!!

Chris Canning

I've seen some interest off the other site,this mod was done some time ago,and the bike to put it mildly has taken a pasteing engine wise and runs better than ever.

Stretch

Does the intake noise increase?  I love intake noise...

Chris Canning

No.i don't think it does,just gave the motor that bit extra when it gets really going,i found with the mod a K+N and a pipe,it pulls a 19 tooth sprocket just the same a stocker.