News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Time for Tires, give me some good recommendations!!!!

Started by kev187, July 10, 2006, 03:18:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kev187

Hello All

My silver 05 Tiger just had its 10 month birthday,  7400 miles & rear Michelin Anakee is showing some good wear.  I would guess around 8000 miles I will go for a new set.

For all those out there that went with something different, please share & let me know what your thoughts are?  I only moderately off road her, mostly fire breaks.  I was looking at the Pirelli Scorpion Syncs after seeing a couple tigers with them at the Pocono Raid this last weekend?

Anyway, throw me some suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Kevin

ThreePutt

Michelin Pilot Roads!
Tom

2006 Tiger
2009 BMW R1200 RT

georover1

Easy, Avon Distanzias.
Mmmmmm......Beer

\'99 Tiger,

kev187

Thanks for the ideas!

Both so far look like good options, have you ever taken the Michilin roads down trails or firebreaks?  

I am got 7000+ out of my anakee's I am looking to get at least that out of my next set.  I know there are a lot of options for these size wheels.

Brother Number One

2015-16 USA & C.America: http://sawthingsclearer.com (click it, click it, click iiiit) 04 silver Tiger, Touratech Zega panniers, CCC titanium can, NWS hugger

Sabre

Sorry to confuse things, but I have to respectfully disagree with the suggestion of Michelin Pilot Roads.  They are nowhere near as sure-footed as the stock Anakees were for the 99% pavement duty that my '05 Tiger sees.  Even after playing with pressures, I find them much less confidence-inspiring than the OEM Battlaxes on my Bonneville were.

It's not that they surprise me in a bad way, it's just that they will predictably give way sooner than I want when cornering. I'll go back to the Anakees after these wear a bit more (thrifty lad that I am).  One man's personal opinion, YMMV!
I could tell you more, but suddenly I am run over by a truck.

-Michael O\'Donoghue, How to Write Good

kev187

I appreciate everyones responses.  I think I am going to go with the Distanzia's.  I still do some off road from time to time, so need to stick with something dual sport.  I did not even know those Avon's were out there, thanks so much!

Oh, the exhaust is a Blue Flame pipe, sounds incredible!

tyrebyter

Pirelli Scorpion Sync. If you are on pavement mostly, they stick like glue.
\'01 Camo Tiger

\'98 Speed Triple

skully

Hi mate i don't know if you can get them over there :roll:  but i use metzler tourance great handling, and on a recent tour of france (3000 mls) the rear was brand new i started with 8mm of tread and only used 1.5mm so estimate in excess of 10 thousand for the rear :D  the front wear was not even noticable amount of wear, also grip was excellent :lol:  good luck skully
i\'m not a number i\'m a free man

skully

Hi mate i don't know if you can get them over there :roll:  but i use metzler tourance great handling, and on a recent tour of france (3000 mls) the rear was brand new i started with 8mm of tread and only used 1.5mm so estimate in excess of 10 thousand for the rear :D  the front wear was not even noticable amount of wear, also grip was excellent :lol:  good luck skully
i\'m not a number i\'m a free man

Jim S

Ok, my tuppence worth, 7000 miles on the Tiger now, just finished the Stella alpina, riding on what looked more like goat tracks than roads, also forest use here in Scotland. Tourances I found skittish in the wet, ok in the dry and so so offroad, the Anakees are much better on the road in the wet and same so so off road. The tourance are harder compound so last better, the Anakees are pretty soft, I reckon 5000 miles max tourances nearer to 8000 miles.

Over a decade on Africa Twins using Bridgestone trial wings, excellent all round tyre, apparently now you only get the battle wing but it's too road biased for my riding. Michelin T66's were ok as well but replaced by the Anakee I believe?

My honest opinion? I'd go with the Anakees, I can touch the pegs down on tar with my Tiger in the dry with the Anakees, feel safe in the wet. I'll put up with the low milage as it's a compromise for tyres you feel safe on. Heavy offroad use I'd advise TCK 80's.
04 Tiger and 97 Blade

HockleyBoy

Have got Anakees on my 05 Tiger and am on 9,600 miles, will probably need to replace them at 10,000 so I don't think they wear any worse than the others plus they are great in the dry and pretty sound in the wet.

I will be going with Anakees again (for my 99% road riding).

:)
05 Tiger Lucifer Orange (resting) 07 GSX-R1000TT K7 71 Triumph T25T 17 Tiger 1050 Sport

PaulBerg

After my original Anakees went square at 6k miles, I tried Dunlop D607. These give great confidence in corners , but straight line handling got a bit vague.

Next time I will try either,

- Bridgestone Battlewing (not Battlax) as they are getting a lot of good   reviews here in the UK, or

- Pirelli Scorpion Sync (I ad these on my previous Multistrada and they were superb in the corners)

Paul

TRKTEK

I just installed a pair of Scorpions.........I'll let you know how they work out.......

I did find them a bit spendy, but from scanning the ads from the States it would seem It costs significantly more for tires in Canada......

Anything that could be considered "leisure products" we pay a priemium for. :x

On the upside I have a fresh set of sticky tires to test in the twisties :lol:
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

John Kenneth Galbraith

klrbill

I thought this page was decent even if dated.  Good idea in collecting the info too...

http://faq.f650.com/FAQs/TireOpinionsFAQ.htm
Sincerely,

KLR Bill