News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Very High Idle Speed

Started by Badgerboy, July 12, 2006, 12:34:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Badgerboy

After having been out in some heavy rain a couple of weeks ago my 99 injection Tiger has been reluctant to idle properly it idles at about 2500 revs but will eventually drops to about 1200. I took it apart to check the airbox but that didn't help.

As it is fuel injected there are no adjustments possible so I called a Triumph dealer to enquire about them checking it out and they said £48 + vat per hour and couldn't book it in until August.

Does anyone know of anyone who can service Triumphs at a reasonable price in Herts/Essex/N.London.

Is this whole fuel injection thing really to do with emmissions or is it a conspiracy to keep us tied to dealer servicing, bring back carbs I say.

BTW has anyone tried a "Power Commander" or similar on their bike?

Any advice gratefully accepted.
Regards

Badgerboy

Clemski

Since my run in with a outrageous service bill, I have been making enquries about other Triumph dealers, and have heard good things about Haslemere motorcycles, might be worth trying them. :P
Just love riding my Tiger, anywhere and everywhere.

lookslikeyoshi

im having the same type of problem with a high idle.  It idles high when im riding around and put the clutch in when its in gear.  Then it seems to drop down to normal when i put it in neutral.  Is yours always high?  Could it be a clutch cable adjustment where the clutch isnÌt fully releasing?

Brother Number One

If it behaves differently when riding, compared to idling, it sounds like it couild be the stepper motor.  This is the thing that sits between 1 and 2 injectors and protrudes into the airbox.  It puts air into the engine for idle and then does it again, when riding, on the overrun so that fuel doesn't ignite in the exhaust.  I'm sounding like a right smartass but I happened to read it in the manual after I had a problem myself.  A guy at the bike shop said to dismantle the stepper motor and WD40 it, that usually does the trick.  When I got into mine, it turned out that the seal (between the stepper and the airbox) was dislodged; this explained my problem.

Good luck.
2015-16 USA & C.America: http://sawthingsclearer.com (click it, click it, click iiiit) 04 silver Tiger, Touratech Zega panniers, CCC titanium can, NWS hugger

Bruincounselor

Quote from: "Brother Number One"When I got into mine, it turned out that the seal (between the stepper and the airbox) was dislodged; this explained my problem.

Brother, you were lucky. Recently a Tiger rider came through town with a very sick Tiger. Turns out he had "lost" the stepper motor to airbox gasket when installing a scottoiler (he had no idea). There was so much crud in his motor there was no compression. The bike was new, but he had been riding in Alaska. Triumph would not help him as it was his own fault. He now rides a V-strom....

Be sure to check for the gasket anytime you remove the airbox.

Jim
Bruin\'