News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Rear suspender questions

Started by Bruincounselor, July 18, 2006, 08:31:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruincounselor

I recently acquired (for very little dosh) a new Triumph rear shock to replace my tired unit from 2000. I had originally planned on getting an aftermarket unit this winter, but the price is too good to pass up and gets me on a newer unit ASAP. At max preload I have 3+ inches of sag.....

Did the factory spring rate change between 2000 and 2005? Are the shock units compatable?

How difficult is the shock to change? What size tools are needed to make the change (is there Torx in the swingarm)?

Thanks,

Bruin
Bruin\'

Quote from: "bruincounselor"Did the factory spring rate change between 2000 and 2005? Are the shock units compatable?

Bruin

The obvious thing between 2000 and 2005 is that the swingarm changed in 2005. I would think that the shock changed as well. Can't help with details though.

Bruincounselor

Quote from: "Blacktiger"The obvious thing between 2000 and 2005 is that the swingarm changed in 2005. I would think that the shock changed as well. Can't help with details though.

BT - I'm hoping the spring rate changed. The shocks look the same, but have different part numbers in the Triumph catalog. Before I can make the swap I need to go buy the right Torx for the swingarm bolt. Does anyone know what size it is?

Bruin

Converting to a 17" front tomorrow
Bruin\'

Bruincounselor

To answer my own questions:

The shocks for the 2000 and 2005 bikes are very similar, but the newer unit is 2-3 cm (an Inch+) longer so I have decided not to use it.

The springs appear to be identical in diameter, # of coils, and length - leading me to believe they are the same/similar rate.

The upper and lower mounts use T55, which is the same size of the engine mounts.

Bruin
Bruin\'