News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

problems with front rotors

Started by pinetar, August 08, 2006, 01:55:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pinetar

I have an 03 tiger.  Last year I had to replace the front rotors.  The bike was still under warranty so they were replaced free of charge.  Less than a year later they seem like they are gone again.  When coming to a stop the bike jerks like crazy.  Has anybody heard of this problem?  I love the bike, but I'm concerned about this rotor problem.

UKPaul

A mate of mine had an 05 with the same issue, the front wheel was slightly out which caused the same shuddering when applying the front brake. In the end the dealer replaced the front wheel & rotors under warranty.

Green Geck0

Quote from: "pinetar"I have an 03 tiger.  Last year I had to replace the front rotors.  The bike was still under warranty so they were replaced free of charge.  Less than a year later they seem like they are gone again.  When coming to a stop the bike jerks like crazy.  Has anybody heard of this problem?  I love the bike, but I'm concerned about this rotor problem.

I've had mine replaced 3 or 4 times now. I've lost track. To Triumph's credit, they replaced the last set out of warranty.

Curtis Ross

Calgary, Alberta

TigerLady

My 05 is in the shop right now for new rotors.  Problem first noticed at 2700 miles and the shop told me it was the tires.  So, I replaced the tires (at 8K) and within seconds of riding from the shop the problem had not been fixed.  The dealer is now replacing the rotors.  

The only upside is that they gave me a Ducati Multistrada as a loaner :lol:   Gave me the keys and  said "Have fun.  We'll call you.  Keep track of your gas for reimbursement."  

To be honest, the only reason they did this is because they called me last night and said the bike was ready to be picked up.  Not true.  They screwed up and were willing to make it right.  Hopefully, the rotors will last more than 3K miles.

Rhonda

Sofalofa2005

if he helps you feel easier... I was worried at first...

Bought my bike last October. It had only 1,000 miles on it, but was told to be careful as a new front wheel had been fitted (+new tyre hence warning)... disks started warping again at 3,500 miles. Had them changed at 6,000 mile service (under warranty). Since then (now up to 15,000 miles) they've been fine...

3 sets of front disks in 6 thousand miles... I was very concerned, but everything's been fine since... they'll sort it eventually...

Russ

P.S. Have heard stories of Triumph replacing front disks on bikes out of their warranty too for free, so must be a concern for them...

Jim S

I'm sure I read somewhere there was an issue with front discs on some of the Tigers? I've an 04 and I've had no problems, bought the bike with 8000 miles, serviced at 12,000 and now sitting at 16,000 and no problems.

Damn, shouldn't have looked at the miles, that's doubled the miles in four months  :cry:

But it was fun  :twisted:
04 Tiger and 97 Blade

Chris Canning

The disc problem has been going on since 99!!!

pinetar

I just heard back from the dealer.  They said Triumph will come good for the rotors, but I have to pay for the labour.  They are sending rotors for an 06.  They say these are thicker and will disipate the heat better.  The dealer also suggested putting a different type of pads on (not Triumph pads....pads they have in stock).  All in all I am pleased with their decision in this matter.  I just hope this will rectify the problem.

mike

PEI Canada