News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Okay to use injector cleaner?

Started by stopwatch, August 12, 2006, 11:34:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stopwatch

Has anybody used gas additive injector cleaner in their fuelie cats? Good or bad results? Is it okay to do so? My '01 seems to need a second push of the button most of the time (cranks on first try... runs a few seconds, then dies).  THANKS...

tigerhund

I run it religiously in every motorcycle/car/truck I own.  I am not sure whether it does any good, but it makes me feel better.  I am curious to hear the responses of any professional motorycle/auto technicians on this matter.

When I put FI cleaner in my Tigers, I use 1/2 bottle in a freshly filled tank, being careful not to get the stinky mess anywhere but in the tank.

I buy it by the case at Wal-Mart.

MJ

geoff

My 2006 Tiger has now done just over 1000km. It has always started on the first attempt but does require 1 to 2 seconds of cranking to make it fire up. I have never observed it start and then die. Cleaning the injectors may be a good thing to try (it will not cost much). In Australia most brands of premium unleaded petrol already have an injector cleaning additive and I use one of these in my bike to keep the injectors in good condition. You could try an injector cleaning additive and see if it fixes the problem. However if it does not fix the problem it may still be a dirty or faulty injector and pulling the injectors in the workshop and cleaning/testing them on the bench is the only way to be sure they are good.

gatorwesty

My 01 goes through phases when it will do as you described. I think it is more of a tune issue. Presently it is firing right up with no issues. In six months it will change to the start and die, then restart with no problems phase.  Maybe when i disconnected the battery the last time it reset?

I cant really remember. I dont let it bother me though, cuz it runs like a tiger should.

kiwitiger

:idea: gatorwesty,

a small point of order --they dont " run as a tiger should" .... they purr and pounce !!