News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Two-Up Tiger

Started by HomeWrecker, October 11, 2003, 05:34:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HomeWrecker

Hello...I am considering getting a Tiger as a 3rd bike...my other two are a lighter weight bikes and I want something that would be good for two-up riding...more power, better passenger room. The 1150 GS would probably be a good choice, but I hate the weight distribution and price.

How are the Tigers for riding with a passenger?? Styling wise, I prefer the earlier model, and there's one on ebay now, just like RedMenances(sans sidehack). Most of my riding would still be solo, so I want something that's still a blast on the backroads...Thanks

MikeF

I ride 2up most of the time and it works great. My bike is lowered so when we go 2up I just crank up the rear preload all the way. We do sportbike like riding together and have no problem keeping up with my friends on their 1100GS. We came to a long straight strech of road and did a top speed run. A friend on his 1100GS was in front of me, he punched his before I did. At 100mph we started catching him, at 120 we started pulling on him fast enough that I had to back off so I would not run over him. Was that fast....I thought that was fast. So us 2up was faster the him on his GS alone. So I think that Tigers will do just about anything you could sanely want to do on a bike on the street. My wife loves the seating position better then the BMW F650GS we had before the Tiger and better then the Honda 919 with a corbin seat we have.

I've bought bikes on EBay Three times and have to say that I'd probably not do that again. The first on was great, as advertised. The second was nice but if I'd have ridden it before I bought it I never would have bought it. The third, well well just as that I was really disappointed in the conditon when I got it. But I blame myself for buying sight un seen. So be very careful with stuff you don't get a chance to ride before buying.

Doug95

HomeWrecker,

You'd love the Tiger 2-up.   It's a great bike  - plenty of power (even  the  older ones - which I have).   Visibility in traffic is great - another plus when carrying a passenger.   There are several older Tigers on Cycletrader.com.....some with extremely low mileage.   There's one from Centerville, Ohio, that's been listed on and off for a year.  Has less than 5000 miles (if I remember right), and you should be able to buy it for $4000, maybe less.  Used Triumphs, as I think I already said on another thread, are the best value in motorcycling, IMO.  Resale sucks, obviously,  but that's what makes them such a great deal on the used end.

Doug
If you\'ve never stared off into the distance, then your life is a shame.....

- Counting Crows

skoron

Agree with the others.  My '97 tiger suits my wife and I great.  Very comfortable (even with stock seat) and things like good hand grips from the luggage rack.  I have since put a Givi top case and my wife really likes the back rest and security (I may romp on the throttle with too much enthusiasm!).  

Great choice for two up.

Skoron
The ride\'s the thing, travel too fast and you miss the reason.

HomeWrecker

Thanks Guys... The low prices on the Tigers is one big attraction...I never buy something with the idea the "i'll get my money back"... just enjoy it, and sell it only if I really need to.

I also like to stay away from the more typical rides....there is so much good stuff out there, and you don't have to spend a bunch of $$. My other bikes are a MZ Skorpion and Cagiva 650 Elefant. I got the Elefant off ebay over a year ago and it has been GREAT fun, and no problems either

Chris Canning

I'm the same as Mike F,ride my tIger most of the time two up,i have to say for covering ground on it's the best thing i've ever had and jeeze i've had a few over the years,this is my third tiger we use it mainly for touring Europe on,and last june rode from Barcelona in Spain back to Birmingham in  the UK 1050 miles in 16 hours and that included a ferry journey that took over an hour.

sycamoredave

You should have no problem with two up on a Tiger.  I have a '96, and it does a great job handling the load.  The only complaint I have gotten from my spouse is that the Corbin seat slides her a bit forward of where she wants to sit.

8)
Dave Ewart

Mount Vernon, OH

\'96 Tiger

\'94 Honda PC800

\'81 Suzi GS750EX

flyingpackman

I would like to resurrect this question if I could.  

I'm thinking about buying a Tiger to replace my KLR.  The KLR seat is too short to ride 2-up for any distance farther than the corner store.  

Questions:  I'm 6'-1" so I sit back on my KLR seat a bit.  How tall are you? I'm afraid that I would have to sit at the front of the seat with my legs bunched up.  

With the bags on the side is it still comfortable for the passenger?  

I would like to add a big GIVI trunk to so we could go on a weekend ride.  Would this interfere with passenger comfort?

Thanks in advance for your comments.
LP

ThreePutt

I'm 6'3" and have a big GIVI top case.  My wife has plenty of room.  I clamped a couple of fold-up highway pegs to my crash bars, so I could stretch out.  They're working quite nicely.  If you care to look, here's a link to some pics.

http://www.tomneth.com/pegs/
Tom

2006 Tiger
2009 BMW R1200 RT

flyingpackman

Great info!  Thanks.  It's sounding like a better option all the time.  

By the way, where did you get the crash bars and foot pegs?

Happy Trail sells a crash bar/skid plate combo, but I like your crash bar better.

Also, what model is your GIVI trunk?
LP

apache

Im 6'2" and 240 or so. in my 30 years of bikes this is the most versatile bike Ive ever had. it truly has tractor like pull at  cruise speeds, say 3500 to 6000 rpm. from fire roads to our local canyons here on the coast, this thing kicks ass. My riding friend has a 04 GS. no offence to you bimmer owners but its to wide,expensive,etc. I paid $2400 for my 97 with 16500 miles. Triumphs have got the best bang for the buck around. Dont fall into the pay a bunch for a better bike(BMW).

ThreePutt

Quote from: "flyingpackman"By the way, where did you get the crash bars and foot pegs?

Also, what model is your GIVI trunk?

http://www.touratech-usa.com/

Top Case - E450 Simply

The pegs I picked up at the local Big Dog shop.
Tom

2006 Tiger
2009 BMW R1200 RT

flyingpackman

Thanks!

You have convinced me that it's time to seriously look at trading the KLR for a Tiger.  

I took my 14 year old on a ride this morning to run an errand.  He's a big kid and with both our fat butts on the seat the KLR doing the low rider.   There is definitely not enough room for two on the KLR.  

I want to find a used (2001 - 2004) tiger.  Other than the showroom I have never seen a tiger on the street where I live.  It may take me a while to find one that I like.   If anyone knows about one for sale anywhere near the Denver area, I would be interested in looking at it.

Thanks again.
LP

newmanr19

my wife pretty much hates riding on the Tiger; the seat is too high off the ground; pegs are mounted too high and not wide enough; and Corbin seat not too comfy on long runs - obviously others have done it and have not had problem; but a Goldwing it aint

flyingpackman

Not to get too personal, but how tall are you and your wife?
LP