News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Vibration

Started by mcilvenny, September 17, 2006, 07:12:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mcilvenny

My handlebars are vibrating more than normal at higher RPM, IÌve recently fitted new tyres which were balanced and IÌve since had the front balanced again. ItÌs getting to the point I cant run for more than a few miles at a steady speed before my hands are going numb.

What should I check or look for that may be causing the problem ???
EeeZeee Tiger

\"96\" Steamer

JRO

How many miles on your bike?  Could it be time for plugs and such?

You might also try modifying your handgrips.  Get a pair of cheap, gel dirt bike grips, cut the ends off, and slide the things over your handgrips.  Won't work if you have heated grips, but if you don't, then it makes wonderful, comfortable, thick grips.  Seriously reduces vibration, too.
JRO

2006 Tiger

kiwitiger

Have a look at your handlebar end weights - are they missing or loose ??

mcilvenny

Bike has covered 27,500 miles. I've recently serviced it and balanced the carbs, so I would say engine is ok. Bar end weights are on and tight and I've got heated grips fitted so that counts out one idea.

It's been suggested that the head race bearings may need tightening, the front wheel bearings may be at fault or the oil in the forks needs changing ???  

Not sure which to tackle first ???  Could the problem be on the back end, chain to tight etc ???
EeeZeee Tiger

\"96\" Steamer

iansoady

Tight chain often causes this. The accepted wisdom here and elsewhere is 45-50mm with the bike on the centre stand.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

sporthog93

I don't think steering head bearings will cause a vibration. If they are dinged hey cause aweave as you go down the3 road. Thast is the mos common thing with steerin g head bearings
Quote from: "mcilvenny"Bike has covered 27,500 miles. I've recently serviced it and balanced the carbs, so I would say engine is ok. Bar end weights are on and tight and I've got heated grips fitted so that counts out one idea.

It's been suggested that the head race bearings may need tightening, the front wheel bearings may be at fault or the oil in the forks needs changing ???  

Not sure which to tackle first ???  Could the problem be on the back end, chain to tight etc ???

DirtBiker

Have you checked to see if it's engine or chasi? I would get it up to speed then pull in the clutch if it goes away at least it's not the drive train (most likely). If it still vibrates it's probabley something to do with the tires, wheels, brakes, maybe swing arm?. Your new tire could have a flat spot also or a flaw in it. I would also try to pin it down if it's at a certain rev or is it a certain speed.

Toby

Ken_T_frm_CA

Have you ever ridden a Bandit 1200?  Now *there* is a bike that can buzz the handlebars!  If you want to fix that vibration, get the entire stock bar end weight assembly off a new Bandit 12.  This is a highly engineered piece consisting of about 6 parts for each side but HIGHLY effective.  It's designed to allow the end wieght to float opposite vibration in a series of rubber donuts within the handlebar.  I've used this fix on other bikes to great success.  However I don't feel the Tiger buzzes that bad.  Let me know how it works out.
Ken T. from Ca.

\"I don\'t approve of political jokes..I\'ve seen too many of them get elected.\"

95\' Trident, 02\' Bonneville, 06\' Tiger

http://www.labiker.com/members/index.php?cc63d31418542