News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

help!

Started by foster, February 05, 2007, 11:27:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foster

OK - I'm stumped.  I need some help.

2000 Tiger, purchased used with rash on tank.  Since then I've had a little biff on the bike.  So, the bike went in for 12000 mile service a month or so ago and I noticed a coolant leak a week later.  Replaced hoses and radiator cap and fixed tank while I was at it. Also took fairing off to adjust it a bit (was slightly tweaked after the biff.  So the bike's been out of service a month, maybe.  Put it all together yesterday (except the fairing) and the damn thing won't fire.  Turns over but won't light.   (always cranked right up before) I figured I must have missed a connection but I have searched and searched and can't come up with the solution.  There is a connector under the fuel distribution bar feeding the injectors but I wonder if that's a diagnostic connection??  I can't find anything that it looks like it mates to.

Any suggestions from the group?  I would appreciate any help.  I have spent about as much time and money as I am willing to put into this thing.  It's a sweet, comfortable bike but a pain in the ass when you have to pull the tank to get to the radiator cap and the airbox to get to the plugs.  Simple is sometimes better.........

Anyway, Thanks in advance for any assistance, guidance or suggestions.

iansoady

A couple of points -

1. The connector is probably the one for the fourth cylinder plug / coil (same looms used for tripes and fours)

2. Not sure if your bike has one but this sort of thing can happen if the tilt sensor is triggered

3. Do you have an alarm fitted? These can cause similar problems

4. Fuse?

HTH
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

foster

Good points, Thanks.

I wondered if the extra plug was there for a 4th cylinder since it looks like the same plugs for the injectors.

Don't know of a tilt sensor - bike's been down before and fired right up.

No alarm on bike.

Main fuse at battery is good - checked it right away.  Are there others?

Thanks again.  Hopefully some other folks will have ideas also.

Mudhen

Have you pulled a plug to see if you're getting spark?

What about the sidestand switch...just throwing out some stuff I've read before...

If I had a fuel injected 885 that had been over and wouldn't start I'd be checking compression...but since yours was just running you're probably good in that department.  Probably.  :-)
\'96 Steamer

foster

Mudhen,

Thanks, I have considered the sidestand switch but the bike's on the centerstand and in neutral.  It's always started like that before.  I actuated the switch a few times yesterday to see if that helped but did not try to bypass it yet.  It has been down on the side when I had my departure from controlled flight but that was over a year ago and it's started many times since then.

Update:

I have taken the tank off again today and checked everything I could related to the disassembly / reassembly but did not check a plug yet.  That was to be my next step but unfortunately, actuation of the starter must provide enough spin on the water pump to get the juices flowing because I just discovered a small coolant leak at the head gasket.   No coolant evident in oil but this leak must have been there when I took it apart to  replace hoses and radiator cap.  There was coolant in a number of areas from the leak so I must have missed this and assumed the easy repair.

I may putz around with it some more but will likely sell it for parts.  I've put enough time and money into this thing and would rather be out riding my KTM than stuck in the barn working on the tiger.  What a shame- it's got such a sweet engine.....

Screw it. I'm going skiing for a week and am not gonna worry about it.

Mudhen

Where are you located?  I just put a deposit on an '06...which is much too nice for me...
\'96 Steamer

foster

located in western North Carolina.

foster

OK - I'm back on the issue and am not certain about head gasket.  The coolant I saw could have been left over from the leak.

Since returning from vacation I have determined that I have spark and the bike will fire using starter fluid so the issue is fuel.  Turning the switch on generates the whine of the fuel pump and when I pull the fuel lines from the tank, they drain fuel so it seems like the injectors may not be working????

Is there a way to test them? Or could I not have enough pressure going to them even though I have fuel in the lines and the pump makes noise?

While painting the tank, I had it suspended from the rear mounting hole - could this possibly have created and issue with the pump??

Any ideas out there?