News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Head gasket

Started by erwinvw, March 19, 2007, 10:52:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

erwinvw

Not sure but I may have mentioned this previously..

In the fall I notice my 2000 Tiger has a coolant leak, seems more predominant on the left cylinder, but as it's on the side stand it's more noticeable.

I ran it and changed the oil as I seen it was slightly milky,

Parked it for the winter. My question is, should I have completely drained the coolant?  I plan on changing the oil , firing it up and trailering it to the dealer.

I'm not planning on riding it, so did I jsut ruin my motor by parking it.

Now I know why my low pressure oil light flashed once last fall,, likely the oil was too thin with coolant in it!  Figure I'm looking at least a grand CAD just for the basic head gasket replacement....

Hopefully nothing else was affected.   Maybe I'll tourque the hell out of the head bolts and trade it with the dealer,, :shock:

Chris Canning

My first 900 that i bought(new) in april 99 lasted 6 weeks before it blew the head gasket.

Bruincounselor

Quote from: "Chris Canning"My first 900 that i bought(new) in april 99 lasted 6 weeks before it blew the head gasket.

My 2000 has leaked at the head every fall I've owned it (2 years now). My dealer has done warranty work so far; but I may be running out of goodwill on such an old bike. I cannot afford a new one, so hopefully it won't leak this fall.

There appears to be an issue with the head gasket on the 885i that was resolved with the 955 head. I'm guessing the aftermarket isn't going to make a gasket for our 2 year run. My dealer suggests heated storage and also suggests I ride it with the leak because it will go away with operating temp. Suggestion one seems reasonable here on the plains - #2 is a bit frightening.

I may have to try it next spring anyway.

Bruin'
Bruin\'

erwinvw

Wow. I cant imagine a dealer telling you to ride it as is when the bike heats up.. sure the leak stops,, the water pump is going and everything expands, but what about all that coolant... was it getting in your oil like mine is.

can't be good for seals  or bearings... I like my Tiger , but after spending a good amount to buy it,, from a person who was immaculate with it in every way, I am just stunned that it leaks. I don't hear of this with any of my riding pals.  I really on the fence about keeping it or not.

My dealer did say last summer,"just keep an eye on it",, when I discovered the odd drop of coolant, but now it's cold and leaking more.

Bruincounselor

Quote from: "erwinvw"Wow. I cant imagine a dealer telling you to ride it as is when the bike heats up.. sure the leak stops,, the water pump is going and everything expands, but what about all that coolant... was it getting in your oil like mine is.

I never had coolant in the oil. Just (?!) weeping and drips on the injector side of the head. I wouldn't have a problem waiting to see if it goes away with warmer temps - but if it didn't I'd be off the Tiger for a month waiting for a repair.

My dealer is pretty sure that Triumph will take care of leaking in the future, but won't put it in writing. I don't know what options I'm left with if it leaks again in the fall - I can't see Triumph paying for an out of warranty repair; even with 2 documented repairs to the same. It sure would be nice to get a 955 upgrade....

I will keep this list posted if I continue to have this issue.

Bruincounselor
Bruin\'

erwinvw

I got the bike out  and started her up for the first ride of the year..

as in previous post,  the leak disappeared after she heated up and after about 20 minutes riding the oil appeared fine and was not milky looking...

Is this leak a  problem I should learn to live with?

600scoobs

Quote from: "erwinvw"I got the bike out  and started her up for the first ride of the year..

as in previous post,  the leak disappeared after she heated up and after about 20 minutes riding the oil appeared fine and was not milky looking...

Is this leak a  problem I should learn to live with?

Iv noticed a slight droplet of coolant on the side of mine went on a bike run last sun took over an hour of slow riding so got well hot but the level dosent seem to be dropping in the overflow tank. :? only owned it for 2 weeks so far done a 200+ miles though.

I shall leave it for now but got to take it apart soon tank/rad/pipe to respray the front of the engine so may just tweak the head bolts whilst it's easy to do so? :wink:
Bikes are for riding all year not to polish on a sunday showing off to neighbours !

Lordy

I posted the following on on the Technical Thread... any comment or suggestions are very welcome.

"Hi,

I am after info/experience on the following please. My '04 Tiger has done around 13800kms and has had all serviceing done meticulously (by me qual. mechanic) inluding coolant and b/fluid changes by time.

The engine has developed a weep at the head gasket at the rear of the engine on the L/H cylinder. It is at the rate of 3 or 4 drops a day so it is very minor at the moment. There is no overheating, milky oil, coolant loss etc.

I contacted the local dealer who tells me the following:

* This model head gaskets design will "wick" coolant out.

* This is not a problem.

* Retensioning Cyl Head Gasket will not fix the problem.

The fix I had suggested to me was to ensure the area is dry and apply a Loctiite Product that "wicks" into the gasket and will reseal the porous part of the gasket.

Anyone have any info/suggestions/experience with this type of faut?

Thanks"
I have been an off road rider for more than 35yrs on and off.  This is the biggest chookie I have had.

\'03 Lucifer Red Tiger

Lordy

I "wicked in" a generous application on a cold motor and left it apprx 12 hrs before riding the bike. The weep marks were very noticably lessened so when the engine cooled down I repeated the process. There is now no sign of any coolant leak from under the head. It seems to have been sucessful, my only worry now is will there be internal weeps that I cannot see until I have a full blown head gasket failure. I guess time will tell.

Lordy  (Peter)
I have been an off road rider for more than 35yrs on and off.  This is the biggest chookie I have had.

\'03 Lucifer Red Tiger