News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Fuel sender unit question

Started by Jim S, March 26, 2007, 02:48:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim S

Ok, last time I ask, I can't stand the light on the dash and the guage reading empty. Regardless of how much petrol's in the bike the light is on now. Occasionally it goes out but doesn't last long before it's back on.

I did ask about this last year but with winter I've not been bothered by it but now I'm back on the road for spring I need to address this.

Has anyone changed the sender unit and has this solved the problem?

I know taking off the tank's a nightmare but I can't stand this light any more! Service is due so I'll pop the tank for the service and would swap out the sender unit if that would work?

I'm only asking prior to buying a sender unit and finding this a waste of money! Any thoughts before I order it folks?
04 Tiger and 97 Blade

Green Geck0

I spoke to my mechanic about this awhile back. He said it's a common thing for the fuel sender units to fail on Triumph's. He said you can take it apart and try to clean it. Results may vary.

Although I've had my tank off many times, I never did change my sender. What I did do and it has helped was change where I get my fuel. Don't asked me why but this seems to have helped.

Curtis Ross

'02 Tiger

Calgary, Alberta

iansoady

I've struggled with the same problem on mine and have gone as far as dismantling the sender and cleaning up the PCB the float runs on. Fine when I put all back together but now the light is on again......

You can do without the gauge by substituting a 13 ohm resistor for the sender which turns the light off and shows a full tank all the time, and using the trip like we used to in the good(?) old days. But that's not ba solution, rather a bodge.

You'll find lots of other people have had the same problem.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

Jim S

Thanks Ian,

I think I'll go down the road of a new sender unit but I'll let you all know how I get on in the future.

Thanks again.
04 Tiger and 97 Blade

600scoobs

Iv got the same problem only just got the Tigger though and I found the tank came off easy looked hard but simpler than many japaneese machines.

The fuel pipes just pop out via race type spung fittings no faffing about with tight pipes,1 small breather pipe has to be pulled off then you just take battery out 2 bolts and it's holder removed then just 1 big bolt and another at headstock,also the indicator holder's at the faring have to be removed only 3 bolts each takes about 20 mins hows that a nightmare??.

Make sure you have a large sheet or towel to place it on mine was half full so heavy too,looked at the sender but looked clean and annoying they cost £55 for a new one

:smt013
Bikes are for riding all year not to polish on a sunday showing off to neighbours !

Jim S

Honda tank, lift seat, two bolts and lift off, no nightmare, Triumph, 14 bolts, some awkward, half hour job, I'd say a nightmare when you're busy enough without spending a couple of hours poking about with a sender unit.

Ok, removed the sender unit, I can't see anything obvious. It did work better when I first put it on, possibly the wires? Butchered off the connector and reconnected the wires, no better.

I reckon a new sender's the way forward. If they're £55 so be it. I'll report back once I've fitted it. Better bloody work!
04 Tiger and 97 Blade

Stretch

In my 26 years of riding, this is the first bike I've ever had with a fuel gauge.

I would feel better about the whole sender-replacement surgery issue if the new senders were any better than the originals, but replacing a piece of shit with another piece of shit is counter-productive.

I think when mine goes tits-up (as they all seemed doomed to become), I'll just pull the bulb from the dash, replace the gauge with an oil temperature gauge or something and get gas before 200 miles, just like I've been doing for ages.

$.02

Jim S

Well, that's not a bad idea mate,  I suppose if it wasn't for the fact it's a three yr old bike and standard is supposed to have a fuel light and guage I'd do the same. But with no reserve tap I'd rather have the guage and light. It worked fine for two yrs, just past the warranty, so I'll just fork out and get a new one, it worked fine up to then.

Agreed, seems to be a piece of shit alright! It's the only fault I've had with the bike and it's been pretty annoying. I've ordered a new one but won't get the price till tomorrow, I'll let you all know the outcome.
04 Tiger and 97 Blade

Stretch

Very true.  Having no 'reserve' puts a wicked kink the whole idea.

klingklang

I always ask myself if I can fit an another company fuel sender. But I have not much Idea whos company may use a fuel sender similar. I'm pretty sure this one is not exclusive to the triumph. There is full of japanese and chinese companie that make fuel sender unit. There must be one fitting there that works better.

Jim S

Agree totally, must be better out there surely.

As it sends faults back to the ECU it would have to be a good match though.

I'll have a look around although I'll probably have the new one by the end of the week.
04 Tiger and 97 Blade

Bought my Tigger in Aug 02 and the sender went wrong shortly afterwards. It was replaced on warranty and has been faultless ever since. I did find out that they can be prised apart and the fault is that the inards are not smooth and the float gets caught up on the windings or something like that. If you can get it apart, clean up the moving parts and all will be well again.......apparently.

600scoobs

Iv just ordered a brand new one so hopefully sort my probs,Im going to plug it in with side pannel off 1st to check it outside the shop so if it dont work it can be refunded and or problem looked at further.
Bikes are for riding all year not to polish on a sunday showing off to neighbours !

600scoobs

Just got the new sender unit & fitted it at 1st saw no movement  :cry:  after a slight disapointment thought Id better fuel up then it works  :D  no more fuel light dazling at night and anoying by day.

klingklang

If you have been in north america 600scoobs, I'll probably asked you to ship your used one to me. I'd like to have a look on it.  If there is anybody around here who have a non working one and kind enough to ship it to me (I'll pay shipping) let me know.  I just like to dismentle one....kind of working deformation.