News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Reallly want a Tiger

Started by okie54, April 16, 2007, 04:14:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

okie54

New here. Trying to decide on what Tiger I want. I want to start touring again. I am in Love with the 955i but like the fit and finish of the new Tiger. Don't plan on getting off road but would definatlely see myself on a gravel rode. Still like the 955i. Currently have a 2003 Bonneville America but it would not be able to the distance I have in mind while packing for solo camping tour. What is a "Girly" tiger. Thanks

Doc
You can\'t always get what you want.

motoexplorer

I've got a 2006 955i and she's grrrrreat! I live outside of Los Angeles, CA and took her up to Grants Pass, OR last year for 2 weeks (camped most of the way). This year I'm going up to Oliver, CANADA. Haven't rode or even sat on a new 1050, but it doesn't seem as practical as my Girly for the riding I do.

BTW...I also own a 2002 Bonnie America and took it on a 2 week trip from Los Angeles, CA to Denver, CO for the Triumph Across America ride. The Bonnie ran great, except through the high altitude of the Rockies.

[/url]

JRO

You will probably have to make up your own mind about whether you want an '06 or an '07.  I find the previous model better set-up for touring, and for carrying passengers.  Wind protection on both sucks, so figure on cutting down the stock windsheild, or getting a taller/wider windscreen.  If you are going to be lugging groceries and laundry, get a top box.  The side cases are nice, but they don't really hold enough, on their own.

Neither bikes are serious off-road machines.  An '06 is adequate for unimproved roads, though.  I read the '07 is a little less so, but since it's lighter, I doubt it's much less capable.  As far as I'm concerned, these tall-suspension bikes are the ultimate for real-world riding.  They don't care about pot holes, RR tracks, cracks and crevices in the road, ect.. They hop curbs nicely, too.  A Goldwing or LT is great, as long as the road is perfect.  I haven't found any perfect roads, though.  The minute you hit something like an expansion joint on a bridge, they bottom out.  Tigers don't - best ride I've ever had.

You will love sitting up high, also.  It feels so much more secure, either in traffic, or travelling long distances.

The '06 is probably going to be cheaper... Last years' models always are.  It's bigger, more comfy, and carries more junk.  But you choose whichever.
JRO

2006 Tiger

bloaker

JRO, nice response - not too biased,  but I will add a bit.  Taking a new Tiger off road is like taking an FZ1 off road.  Take from that what you will.

I rode the 07 Tiger and certainly enjoyed my ride.  But I find it to have more in common with a Speed Triple than the Girly.  The suspension is much sportier, the power is not as smooth, but certainly more powerful, and I did not find the seating position as comfy.  But that is just my take.  

The new tiger is a civil sportbike in my opinion.

okie54

JRO thanks for the opions. How is riding in N.E. Oklahoma. I was born and raised in Ardmore and rode my Norton all over southern Oklahoma. But nobody has answered one of my questions. What is a Girly Tiger?

Doc

TigerTrax

1. Girly Tiger:   From about 2001 - 2003 o4 2004 Triumph had

some graphics over the headlights that looked like 'eyebrows' ...

thus 'girlies'.

2. Florida:

There are a bunch of Tiger riders in FL ... many ride to the Tiger Ride-In events.  Join us in June at Wellsboro, PA    June 21-23.
\'Life\'s A Journey ..... Don\'t Miss A Turn\'

Stretch

Quote from: "okie54"What is a Girly Tiger?

Quote from: "TigerTrax"Girly Tiger:   From about 2001 - 2003 o4 2004 Triumph had

some graphics over the headlights that looked like 'eyebrows' ...

thus 'girlies'.

2002 Tiger

My '05 doesn't have eyelashes.

JRO

I've been in the Tahlequah area, for 8 or 10 years, but I was raised and lived around Hughes and Pontotoc counties.  I used to know Ardmore, well.  Had a friend who lived there for some time... Ran a grocery store.  Used to lead a little dog around, on a string...

There are plenty of hills and twisty roads in N.E. Oklahoma.  Very scenic.

Like everywhere else, there's also Farmer Brown.  Up this way, he tends to pull out onto the road, with a semi loaded with chickens, unlike cattle or produce, down your way.  Not much drilling equipment up here, at least.

There's even more vermin deer than down your way.  Only a fool would race through this area after dark.  Between Tahlequah and Muskogee, 25-mile four-lane hiway, you can usually see deer carcasses; sometimes three or four.  At night, if you watch, you'll see living deer.  There's a game preserve all around you.  In the Spring, you might get lucky, and see 20-30.

Lots of clubs and riding groups come through here in the Summer, along with the lake and river traffic.  Riding along the Illinois or around Tennkiller is quite scenic, if you don't mind the drunks and idiots.  We get quite a death and causualty rate, each Summer, from cyclists who enjoying their ride, but who weren't born with the sense God gave geese.  I have a buddy with a dive shop on the West side of Tennkiller Lake.  Three separate fatalities on the road out front of his shop, last year (pretty expensive bikes, too).

Actually, going around the lake is quite fun.  On the East side, there are beautiful winding ways through forest covered hills.  Perfect place to try out your cornering skills... Except some of the stupid downhill curves are banked OPPOSITE.  People who live around there, have been complaining for years.  There's some great little restraunts to stop at, too.  And then there's the shops, where some beered-up vacationer is always trying to dart out on the road in his dually, bass/ski boat attached, just when you come over a rise.  Exciting.  

Yeah, you can have fun going around the lake.  If you're sensible, that is.

The river is worse.  Oh, the road is better, although still a wandering adventure.  It's unbelievable that the speed limit on State Highway Ten isn't 35mph, but it's not.  It seems to attract even more drunks and pedestrians, what with all the little canoe resorts.  My daughter worked at one, last year.  Twice some drunk ran into the resort's bus.  Head-on, on both occasions.  One was a bike... No more drunk, that time.

In town... Well, it's a college town.  It's worse than some places, better than others.  The most dangerous thing on the streets are college girls (and boys), with the obligatory, sugically-attached cellular telephone.  Same problem, everywhere, but here we have a greater concentration of them, I suppose.

Some of the riding groups passing through are semi-local - meaning they probably come from Tulsa, or someplace civilized.  They're never a problem.  On occasion, however, you get these idiots travelling through.  I've seen a broad in a pick-up, leading a gaggle of cruisers, racing through the center of town, laying on the horn and running through red lights at 50mph, more than once.  The law likes to pick on isolated riders; college kids, mostly, racing or pulling wheelies.  20 or better acting really dangerous must be too much work.  

Sometimes, I really wish the Weekenders would take up playing bridge, instead of 'biking'.

I can do without the 'scenic' rides, myself, and enjoy a trip on a nice, safe, 80-90mph four-lane, more.  Or a rural hiway, through a safely shabby countryside.  I use a bike for transportation, just about every day there isn't snow or ice on the street... Or I'm not hauling kids around.

Anyway, were you to come this way this Summer, the best part of the trip (to me, that is), would be up Highway 69.  I guess it's kind of like living on the Tahlimena Drive.  The scenery is great, but if you live there, it's 'old hat', and you also get to hear more about the accident rate.

So, yeah, I'm pretty careful, up this way.  I always have been, to tell the truth.  Sure, I'll test my speed limiter.  On an Interstate.  I retired from popping wheelies, but I only did them on abandoned off-roads, anyway.  I'm plenty foolish, when and where I think I can get away with it.

How is it up here?  Awww... It's great.
JRO

2006 Tiger

M.T.

Geez, man.   He just wanted to know what a Girly is.
-RainRunner Extrordinaire

okie54

Thanks for the info. I am just trying to figure out how to keep my Bonneville America and acquire a Tiger. The decision is not whether to get one or not..but how long I want to live in the dog house or be single.

JRO

Nah, M.T.. He asked how the riding was, up my way.

Just go ahead and git the Tiger, dude.  You won't have to be single.  Take a look at this:

http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2359163 ... 3998Bbbrth

See?  Everytime you buy a Triumph, this is what happens.  Isn't that how you got your current gal?

And if you're staying down in Florida, the weather is nice - right?  So, having to stay in the dog house can't be too bad.  What you got to complain about?
JRO

2006 Tiger

Bear

Quote from: "okie54"Thanks for the info. I am just trying to figure out how to keep my Bonneville America and acquire a Tiger. The decision is not whether to get one or not..but how long I want to live in the dog house or be single.

No woman is worth not having a tiger!!! :smt097  :smt061
2006 Black Tiger
Street Triple (Minister for War & Finance)
DZR 250 K6 (Kids)
KTM 600
TT600
XT250
KT120

Two things are infinite : the universe and human stupidity; I'm not sure about the universe.

WIDGIN

I've been told that the "Girly" name for my tiger came from the fact that the sensual shape of the gas tank makes it look like a womens breasts, albiet a little saggy.  Who am I to argue about straddling such a thing.    :wink:
WIDGIN (When In Doubt, Gas It Now)
BRG 2005 955i R.I.P.

gatling

I have a Tiger and I love it.  Recently took it through about half the Baja peninsula.  Wonderful machine!

Gatling

www.motofoto.cc

2006 KLR 650

2006 Tiger

TigerTrax

SO how can we get some of you guys to show up at Kamiah, Idaho

July 29-31 at the Tiger Ride-In?  

So far we've got about 25 riders claiming to be there.

We have 3 event sites this year.... this is our furthest West.....

June 21-23 Wellsboro, PA

July 29-31  Kamiah, ID

Oct 4-6  Jasper, Arkansas ( Home of the Ride-In ) ( Awesome Place)

Contact me direct ... mailto:TigerRide-In@cox.net">TigerRide-In@cox.net
\'Life\'s A Journey ..... Don\'t Miss A Turn\'