News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Weeping Head Gasket

Started by Anonymous, April 17, 2007, 03:05:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blacktiger

Hi,

I am after info/experience on the following please.  My '04 Tiger has done around 13800kms and has had all serviceing done meticulously (by me qual. mechanic) inluding coolant and b/fluid changes by time.

The engine has developed a weep at the head gasket at the rear of the engine on the L/H cylinder.  It is at the rate of 3 or 4 drops a day so it is very minor at the moment.  There is no overheating, milky oil, coolant loss etc.

I contacted the local dealer who tells me the following:

* This model head gaskets design will "wick" coolant out.

* This is not a problem.

* Retensioning Cyl Head Gasket will not fix the problem.

The fix I had suggested to me was to ensure the area is dry and apply a Loctiite Product that "wicks" into the gasket and will reseal the porous part of the gasket.

Anyone have any info/suggestions/experience with this type of faut?

Thanks
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

erwinvw

Read the post on general forum posted by me.. same thing.. I dont agree that leaking is normal......mine started exactly the same way,,, now my oil is milky... just ordered the gaskets and its getting done soon.. trade to follow maybe :(

blacktiger

I "wicked in" a generous application on a cold motor and left it apprx 12 hrs before riding the bike.  The weep marks were very noticably lessened so when the engine cooled down I repeated the process.  There is now no sign of any coolant leak from under the head. It seems to have been sucessful, my only worry now is will there be internal weeps that I cannot see until I have a full blown head gasket failure.  I guess time will tell.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

Lordy

I finally got to speak to Tech head honcho here in Australia about my problem. His reaction to what i was told about loctite wicking in etc was as expected, my informant was giving me poor advice. ( That is the gist of his statement LOL )

He had me (cold engine) loosen off the head-studs and re-tension to specs + 10 ft lbs on both increments then angle torque the studs to 90deg.  

Before I did the re-tension i was walking out to a green puddle under the bike of about  5cm (2") diameter.  Now it is completely dry.  Only time will tell as to the permancy of the fix but all I can do is keep checking for water escaping into the sump or onto the ground.

I will keep you guys informed if there are further developments

Cheers

Peter
I have been an off road rider for more than 35yrs on and off.  This is the biggest chookie I have had.

\'03 Lucifer Red Tiger