News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

windscreen opinion

Started by german, April 19, 2007, 08:07:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

german

Hello fiends,

As we know this item has been broached.

What is your opinion regarding the windscreen?

I am trying to find the correct one for me (tall 1.90m).

1-The stock WS is too bad due to it generate a lot of turbulence, of course reflected in my  head.

2-I added an acrylic extension of 10cm, is better but the head  vibration continue.

3-Now, I am riding with a short WS, apparently this is the solution, but my helmet receives all the insects.
Tiger 05´, Tiger 09´ ABS, CB550 76´

greg

Oh my gawd it's that old chestnut!

Some put up with it, some aren't affected, and some find a cure but not always the same one.

My solution to it was:

1. Fit an MRA Varioscreen

2. Fit mirror wideners.

Worked a treat for me, and I unloaded the totally crap Triumph standard and touring screens on e-bay, and a sport screen too, which was actually great in fine weather but not so good at other times.

I predict you will get other solutions too, the thing is it can get expensive if you don't get it right first time.
2004 Girly.

tcbezza

I agree with Greg's suggestion of an MRA screen and mirror widens. I have had this on the silver Tiger for a year and it works well.  :D
Trevor

800 Tiger Road
79 Guzzi V50
72 BSA A65
56 BSA B33

Brooks Short

I replaced the stock windshield with a MRA Vario but I also replaced the stock mirrors with barend mirrors from Rhinomoto.

Rhinomoto made me a custom adapter for the 955 Tiger handlebars which they now offer as a standard fitting. The mirrors are 3" CRG barend mirrors. They offer a better view to the rear and have completely eliminated any buffeting from the handlebar mouinted stalk mirrors.

Yopu can check out the barend adapters and CRG barend mirrors at:

http://www.e-securedsite.com/RHINOMOTO/ ... %20Mirrors
One Less Car

Brooks Short

Here's a photo of the CRG barend mirrors.
One Less Car

Brooks Short

One more try posting a photo of the barend mirrors
One Less Car

Brooks Short

Sorry, no photo. You can use the link in my previous post.
One Less Car

JRO

I prefer the CeeBailey's 8"taller & 6" wider screen.  Haven't tried any mirror extenders, but this screen really takes the wind off.
JRO

2006 Tiger

WIDGIN

How are the CRG's considering vibration?  

Is the field of vision as good as the stock mirrors?

Do you think this approach provides less buffetting than using simple wideners such as SW-Motech Wideners?

I'm very interested in them but hate to lose my "CAT O-ring cruise control."
WIDGIN (When In Doubt, Gas It Now)
BRG 2005 955i R.I.P.

Brooks Short

The CRGs are better than the stock stalk mounted mirrors and much better than using mirror wideners. They are slightly convex so they have a slight wide-angle point of view. They show no vibration because they aren't on stalks.

They can be adjusted to show traffic directly behind you as well as the entire neighboring lane. Their view is from the outside edge of the saddlebag to just more than the entire adjacent lane. They are easily adjusted and stay where they're set.

For me the MRA was a big improvement over the stock windshield. Getting rid of the stock mirrors and installing the Barend CRGs was even more of an improvement.

I don't see how the CRG mirrors would interfere with your O-ring between the handgrips and handlebar.
One Less Car

WIDGIN

Brooks,

Thanks for the quick reply. The o-ring sits in the little grove on the bar end when not in use.  Looking at the photo from the site, it appears that the groove on their bar end is where the mirror clamps.  Anyway, considering your satisfaction, it sounds like I need to order a pair of these in the near future.  As you said, the MRA was an improvement.  If these further reduce the amount of buffeting by that much I'll be happy.
WIDGIN (When In Doubt, Gas It Now)
BRG 2005 955i R.I.P.

The Midnight Rambler

For those of us in UK (where we wear our swords on the left apparently) there is a similar product from Motrax.

http://www.motrax.co.uk/index.php?page_ ... uct_id=704

While I haven't tried them on the Tiger they work well on the Velocette, and here we are talking far more vibration.

They are quite convex so you won't see the law at great distances but they are great for general use.

They retail on many large shops for about 30 quid a pair.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!"
― Hunter S. Thompson

Advwannabe

On another windscreen related idea, I was scanning the latest issue of "Two Wheels", an Oz bike mag. In it they are doing up a project Wee-Strom. This machine too suffers from the dreaded buffetitis.

One thing owners have found success with is spacing the screen out from the fairing, thus creating more space to allow the pressure behind the screen to equalise better and thus less buffeting.

Well I figured this was sensible, cheap and worth a try. I used some HP fuel hose and longer screws to achieve the spacing, 15mm on the bottom mounts and 8mm at the top. This was to tilt the screen a little to the rear and get the top lip closer to my helmet.

The results are quite promising. Up to now, with the Eagle +125 screen and mirror wideners the buffeting was a lot better than stock, but the buffeting was still bad enough for me to run no screen around town and short trips.  

With the spacers in place there is a small improvement at 120km/h but the big change is at 140 plus. Here most of the high frequency buffeting is gone and I no longer need to wear ear plugs at higher speed. Its still noisy, but not uncomfortably so.

So once again, not a complete fix but another step improvement, and another thing for fellow tortured souls to try!

For some reason my photobucket account won't flash up but will post pics when it does

CHeers
No good deed goes unpunished
02 Tigger
02 Blackbird
75 GT380
IBA #33180

Advwannabe

O.k here goes:

The screen mod:

and the bike:

doesn't look too hideous and the benefits are subtantial. If I get time will experiement with different spacers

Cheers
No good deed goes unpunished
02 Tigger
02 Blackbird
75 GT380
IBA #33180