News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

buying a 99 Tiger

Started by Idaho525, May 12, 2007, 08:19:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Idaho525

I am looking at selling my KTM525 thumper for a road-worthy Tiger, and am wondering what all I should be sure to check or ask about when I go to take a 99 that I'm looking at for a test ride and checkout.  It has Triumph detachable bags on it if that will make a difference.  I know a lot changed on the 99's, so am wondering if many gremlins have showed up over time on the newer design.  I'm hoping to make it to Kamiah for your sumer gathering, even if I haven't acquired my next bike by then.  Just live down the river a ways in Lewiston Idaho, so it'd be a shame to miss a gathering of the "pride".  Thanks for any insights you can provide.

Bruincounselor

No major issues.

The 885i engine has been known to puke the head gasket - this seems to only happen when temps get pelow freezing and to only some bikes. A couple of threads on the subject:

http://www.triumph-tiger.com/phpBB2/vie ... php?t=3145

http://www.triumph-tiger.com/phpBB2/vie ... php?t=1107

If you have heated storage this is certainly not an issue. If  you don't it will likely never happen anyway.

Otherwise no issues. One benefit of the 885 is the larger electrical output - great for heated clothing, lighting etc. MA's has engine guards for the older girly, most other accessories fit. I recommend selling the useless factory bags and getting Happy Trails bags if you plan on doing any distance riding, especially off road.

I too plan on attending the Idaho ride in, although I need a place to park the ride for a week in Missoula or Bozeman. I will be on my 885i.
Bruin\'

Idaho525

Thanks for the links,  they made interesting reading.  I'll be sure to look that area of the engine over to see if there seems to have been any problems.

Mudhen

Another issue the 885i's can have is with the crankcase breather.  If the bike tips over the breather can pump oil through the airbox and into the cylinders...then buh-bye motor...

Simple fix to reroute the breather, though.  If you're planning on taking it off road it's probably a good insurance plan.

Let us know how you make out!

Pat
\'96 Steamer

Advwannabe

Hi Idaho525,

I know very little about the 885i but wish you well in your search. You may get a shock from the weight difference between Tigger and your Katoom.

Thanks too for the explanations Mudhen,

Does the crankcase breather fault occur with the 955i?

Cheers
No good deed goes unpunished
02 Tigger
02 Blackbird
75 GT380
IBA #33180

Mudhen

Quote from: "Advwannabe"Does the crankcase breather fault occur with the 955i?

I've never heard of it.  Not sure if Triumph rerouted the breathers on those or why they don't have the issue...
\'96 Steamer