News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Wilbers mis-fit shock

Started by nortwoodstiger, May 14, 2007, 06:19:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nortwoodstiger

My Buddies and I installed Wibers fork springs and shock this weekend on my 00' and we ran into a little problem. The two spacers that hold the collar and needle bearings in place at the bottom of the shock were to big. We struggled for hours with it and got it half way in by pounding it with a BFH, not good. We decided to pull it out and grind an 1/8 " off each spacer. It went right in with a little slop on either side. The stock shock just falls in place no tightness at all which I assume is the correct parameters. The bike rides like something out of my dreams, it's a completely different machine. I rode it about 125 miles from my buddies house with no ill effect. Is my shock good to go? Or should I get Wilbers to send me the right spacers. {That might be hard because they aren't being imported at this time} Did anyone else have a problem? Or were we suppose to use other tools, techniques or black magic to get it to fit? I'm a little worried about crud getting at the needle bearings. Does anyone have some insight on this? :?: :?:
Ride til it hurts

2004Tiger

Are you saying the needle bearing is exposed to all the dirt the tire flings up? If the bearing has no seals and depends on surface-to-surface fit of spacers you may be in trouble. Find a way to seal out the dirt. Can you drill, tap, and install a grease fitting?
2004 Tiger. Black is beautiful. If I don\'t ride a little every day I get a little crazy.