News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Tiger almost down

Started by Guest, May 17, 2007, 05:03:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Today,Kay (on her 650wee) and I took off for Columbus Oh this morning in the rain.Knowing that we would be out of the weather by going west in the first  60-70 miles,we left Marietta,Oh on rt 550,then hooked up on 555 (aka triple nickle) We were out of the rain by the time we hit 555,but the roads were still wet.This is a very nice scenic country/farm land with plenty of twisties up and down hill thru the foot hills .Because of the wet roads,speeds were held to a very comfortable level.Coming up hill around a left hand sweeper around40/45 mph bolts a deer right off the bank in front of me.Hitting the back brake first,I end up in a slide to the right.I,m now at about a 30 degree angle and sliding,let off the brake and manage to straighten up just missing the deer by a few feet.Close call.Long story short,we spent the day in Columbus,having time to stop by The Iron Pony.great place if you ever get the chance to stop by.The homeward bound leg wasn't as exciting,but,I did get her out and a chance to breath.We ran 70 east to 77 south back to Marietta.Ran 80 to 115 mph all the way back.Felt veeeery goood

Happy Trails

Mike

ME-Rider

Whoa!! That was close.
Ride to Work, Work to Ride

wonko the sane

Just curious, how did you avoid the high-side?  Letting off the rear brake during a slide often (obviously not always) results in a high-side crash.
The world is a book, and those who don\'t travel, read only a page.

St. Augustine

JRO

I hate deer.  You should make a complaint to the Fish & Game Dept..  If they like those deer so much, why don't they keep them off the road?

Then again, it would just be a waste of breath.  I've been complaining to them for years, and they still let the deer get all over the road.
JRO

2006 Tiger

greg

Quote from: "wonko the sane"Just curious, how did you avoid the high-side?  Letting off the rear brake during a slide often (obviously not always) results in a high-side crash.

Because it's a Tiger mate, very hard to upset.
2004 Girly.

well wonko,you're right,and it was fully expected.I think by turning the front wheel with the slide,almost a natural movement trying to keep straight and still having a little balance (not much) I avoided being thrown from the bike by my knee tucked up against the tank.It wasn't a gracefull recovery by no means.looking back I may have even bounced my right foot off of the ground to stay upright.Ya,it wasn't one of those cool Highspeed slides,more like an out of control rag doll on a bicycle :lol:

Happy Trails

Mike

2004Tiger

Perhaps a condition that contributed to the slide (wet road) also prevented the rear wheel from hooking up when the brake was released, thus avoiding a high side?
2004 Tiger. Black is beautiful. If I don\'t ride a little every day I get a little crazy.