News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Tallish riders, any adjustments to be made?

Started by Nobiman, October 04, 2007, 10:02:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nobiman

Hey all, the wife and I have been thinking about getting an adventure type bike for some time now and figured that we'd end up on a KTM since we already have several in the garage. We were out tooling around today on our Motard(ed) KTM's when we stopped at a local dealer to browse thru and I saw a used Tiger sitting in the corner all lonely. After a short talk with a salesman, we were out on the road test riding the beast. Needless to say I was very impressed with just about every aspect of the bike and may be making a deal on it in the A.M. The only complaint I could come up with is the seat to peg distance, its a bit cramped feeling as I am 6'2" with a 34" inseam. Any tall Tiger riders out there? Is it an issue? I know you can get taller seats (which means a taller wind screen too) but does anyone make a lower foot peg for these bikes? I have done this recently on my KTM 525 EXC with a set of fastway pegs that can be installed in the normal height or an optional height of 3/4" lower. This along with a tall firm seat made a huge difference in comfort over the long haul.

A little about the bike:
Its an '04.

30,000 miles, kinda high IMO but the bike is still very tight and runs like a top.

New chain, sprockets and Michilen tires.

No oil or coolant leaks after a real hard 2 up 20 mile run, engine is clean top to bottom.

No evidence that its ever been down.

It will probably need a clutch in the next few thousand miles, the handlebar adjuster only has about 3 threads left on it before it is bottomed out and I tried adjusting it but it made very little difference in clutch engagement when measured off of the bar. It does not slip under hard roll ons or clutch feathering with 2 on board.

Original asking price was $6995.00 but within 5 minutes of my return from the test ride, it was $5800.00. From the pricing research that I've done tonite, I'll probably be offering $5000.00 or a little less when I go back because of the somewhat high miles.

Am I missing anything? I know this is a common type of question on motorcycle boards as I am usually answering them instead of asking them, but hey, ya gotta go to the source if'n ya want good info, right?

Any and all comments or suggestions are welcome and appreciated.

Thanks, Randy :)
Bikes in the stable now:
\'07 525 EXC-
\'02 KTM LC4 640-  Motard bike.
\'01 KTM LC4 400- Wifes \'tard.
\'06 KLX 250 H6F- Wifes Dualsport
\'03 Honda VTX 1800 Torque Monster.
\'00 KX 500

AMA Member

HockleyBoy

The seat height can be adjusted up on Tigers, there are three settings I think. Worth taking the seat off the one you are test riding to see if it is on the lowest setting as they often are.
I don't know about lower pegs but a number of people have fitted highway pegs to make longer journeys more comfortable.
Hope this helps.
05 Tiger Lucifer Orange (resting) 07 GSX-R1000TT K7 71 Triumph T25T 17 Tiger 1050 Sport

Bruincounselor

I think Buell pegs for the Uly will lower them a bit. Touratech has pegs available for the Tiger too.

http://tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,9
Bruin\'

Nobiman

Thanks guys, thats the kind of info I was looking/hoping for so I can get serious about this beautiful bike. I'll check the seat height adjustment as soon as I get 'er home.

Man Stretch, I just "thought" I had height/leg issue's!..... 6'7"?!! I promise that you'll never hear me complain again. :P  The seat mod looks like a must do IMO.

I also will be making a run for the bord.........um, Buell shop, for those pegs BC, that looks like a very simple mod for the return of another inch or so of leg room!

So no issue's with 30,000 miles I take it?

Thanks again, I'm off to start the haggling process. Im gonna start it at $4800 and hang pretty tight right there. The dealer slipped and stated that the bike had been sitting in the corner for several months collecting dust, and you dont see to many Triumph Tigers around here, so I doubt it gets much attention.

Randy.
Bikes in the stable now:
\'07 525 EXC-
\'00 KX 500

AMA Member

Stretch

30,000 miles is just broken in good.  Make sure it's had it valves adjusted at the 24,000 mark (it needs to be done every 12,000).

What color is it?  Just curious.

Post pics when you get her home.

Nobiman

Its silver and theres not a mark on it. I just made my offer to the stealer and he didnt like it much :shock: , he countered the $4800 offer with  $5600. Then I faxed him some examples found on Cycle Trader, both were '03's, one had only 9300 miles for $5800 and the other had 20,000 for $4990. I'll let it stew with him for a while and see what happens. I may end up in the low 5's before its all over, but not much higher.

Randy.
Bikes in the stable now:
\'07 525 EXC-
\'00 KX 500

AMA Member

gary martin

i bought my (silver) 04 tiger with about 1,100 miles on the odo from a triumph dealer late last summer for $6,800.  i think i got a good deal, just F.Y.I.
West Penn BMW - a small contingent of trouble makers.  04 Tiger-Gromit; 04 Guzzi evT-Jezebel, princess of pleasure and pain; 84 Honda CT110-Little Red Riding in the Hood; 70 BMW R50/5-Dudley

nightrunner

Sorry if this is 205 but have you made sure the eccentric hub is in the higher position?  Tigers use an offset axel-in-hub to adjust the chain.  It can be rotated upward or downward resulting in two possible ride heights at the proper chain adjustment.

Anyway I hope the sale works out.  The tiger is  good choice.
Cheers
Scott

Seeking adventure and peril

Nobiman

Quote from: "gary martin"i bought my (silver) 04 tiger with about 1,100 miles on the odo from a triumph dealer late last summer for $6,800.  i think i got a good deal, just F.Y.I.

Boy I'll say, sounds like you got a steal of a deal Gary and I appreciate the info. I cant believe that people buy motorcycles and let them sit most of the time! We put 1100 miles on our gaggle of bikes in a month or so. We put a little over 300 miles on our Motards this week so far, it would have been more but I found this really cool bike yesterday (yup, the Tiger) and I've been Google-ing and searching for info and specs ever since.

Randy.
Bikes in the stable now:
\'07 525 EXC-
\'00 KX 500

AMA Member

Stretch

http://www.hermys.com/triumph/tiger/2004/

To compare features with other years, just change the year in the URL.

gary martin

Quote from: "Nobiman"
Quote from: "gary martin"i bought my (silver) 04 tiger with about 1,100 miles on the odo from a triumph dealer late last summer for $6,800.  i think i got a good deal, just F.Y.I.

Boy I'll say, sounds like you got a steal of a deal Gary and I appreciate the info. I cant believe that people buy motorcycles and let them sit most of the time! We put 1100 miles on our gaggle of bikes in a month or so. We put a little over 300 miles on our Motards this week so far, it would have been more but I found this really cool bike yesterday (yup, the Tiger) and I've been Google-ing and searching for info and specs ever since.

Randy.

oh, yeah, i forgot.  i'm also 6'2" with a 34" inseam so i appreciate this thread.  i wish my pegs were a little lower but i like the seat height when i pull up beside harleys in the next lane at a red light . . . i try not to look down on them :wink:
West Penn BMW - a small contingent of trouble makers.  04 Tiger-Gromit; 04 Guzzi evT-Jezebel, princess of pleasure and pain; 84 Honda CT110-Little Red Riding in the Hood; 70 BMW R50/5-Dudley

Nobiman

Quote from: "Stretch"http://www.hermys.com/triumph/tiger/2004/

To compare features with other years, just change the year in the URL.

Nice Stretch, I like that link that you posted.

Boy, I've really been doing some digging on this bike and the more I read, the more I like it. 104 B.H.P. is plenty to get the job done for sure, and a few more ponies than the the 950 KTM that I've been slobbering over for the last year or so, with the cost of about 60-70% of a comparable KTM.

Well, back into cyberspace for more research (slobbering) and such.
 :roll:

Randy.
Bikes in the stable now:
\'07 525 EXC-
\'00 KX 500

AMA Member

Stretch

I looked  l o n g  and hard for the right ADV bike, and finally settled on a Girly.  I've had zero regrets.

pit0rz

Just for comparison sakes...  I just picked up this '03 with 5K miles on it.  Came with a bunch of add ons.  Gel seat, Off Road pipe and tune, 3 piece luggage, Motolights, Cee Baileys screen.  $5000.  Found it on Craigslist.
Steve P.
'03 Tiger - Luci