News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

'02 Tiger front suspension travel... ?

Started by aebbern, November 25, 2007, 07:21:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aebbern

Does anyone know what the front travel is claimed to be on an '02 Tiger?

I just finished making up some brackets to raise the front fender on my Tiger by 30 mm (wanted more clearance for mud riding). The clearance now between the top of the fender and the fairing is about 185 mm (with forks fully extended). I should have checked this before making the brackets... but worried that maybe I haven't left enough room for the forks to fully compress.

I have heard that the '05 and '06 Tigers had 170 mm of front travel, and the earlier bikes had more. I have checked the owners manual, service manual and all the usual suspects on the Internet... can't find any reference for an '02.

Thanks,
Andy
\'02 Triumph Tiger
\'04 Suzuki DR650
\'79 Laverda 1200

thundergod

aebbern

Thanks - at 170 mm travel I should have no issuse with the raised fender.  Staying upright in the mud is another matter, unfortunately I won't be able to blame the fender for my falls anymore.
\'02 Triumph Tiger
\'04 Suzuki DR650
\'79 Laverda 1200

Advwannabe

Dragging this one up again after thumbing through the Tigger workshop manual at my dealers looking for something else:

Front fork travel................200mm
From Vin no 198875...........170mm

I don't know what year model that Vin corresponds to but it should be easy to compare with yours. My 02's Vin is in the vicinity of 144000. The Vin the travel changes at is the same Vin where the geometry changes so maybe 04 models?
No good deed goes unpunished
02 Tigger
02 Blackbird
75 GT380
IBA #33180

Stretch

I suspected 170 was wrong, as that's the listed front travel for 2005-2006 models.  There were significant suspension and swingarm changes for those years compared with 1999-2004 model years.

iansoady

Quote from: "Advwannabe"Dragging this one up again after thumbing through the Tigger workshop manual at my dealers looking for something else:

I don't know what year model that Vin corresponds to but it should be easy to compare with yours. My 02's Vin is in the vicinity of 144000. The Vin the travel changes at is the same Vin where the geometry changes so maybe 04 models?

Mine is actually 198874 so should be the last before the change and is an 04 MY. I'm led to wonder whether it is actually the last 04 built.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

Stretch

Hey, that's pretty cool.  Ian has the last bike of the run.

aebbern

Quote from: "Advwannabe"Dragging this one up again after thumbing through the Tigger workshop manual at my dealers looking for something else:

My '04 (Vin in the 130s) has max travel of 185 mm.  I pulled the fork caps and compressed the shocks with no springs... 185 mm is all I can get from it.

Cheers,
Andy
\'02 Triumph Tiger
\'04 Suzuki DR650
\'79 Laverda 1200

Advwannabe

aebbern wrote:

QuoteMy '04 (Vin in the 130s) has max travel of 185 mm. I pulled the fork caps and compressed the shocks with no springs... 185 mm is all I can get from it.

Can't argue with your measurements there, but it does show at least that you have more than 170.

I'm interested in your Vin. I'd have thought they were sequential but your 04 has an earlier Vin than mine? (144s). Can any Tigger gurus shed light on this?

Oh, and Ian, you better hang on to your Tigger, last of the 'good' ones  8)
02 Tigger
02 Blackbird
75 GT380
IBA #33180

iansoady

Quote from: "Advwannabe"Oh, and Ian, you better hang on to your Tigger, last of the 'good' ones  8)

That's what I thought. When it's as old as the Velo I might sell it.........
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

aebbern

Quote from: "Advwannabe"I'm interested in your Vin. I'd have thought they were sequential but your 04 has an earlier Vin than mine? (144s). Can any Tigger gurus shed light on this?

I screwed up... my Tiger is actually an '02, not '04.  Got mixed up with another bike there for a second.

Cheers,
Andy
\'02 Triumph Tiger
\'04 Suzuki DR650
\'79 Laverda 1200

Advwannabe

CHeers for the update Andrew,

Let us know how the raised guard performs. The Gnarly look of Stretches kit looks awesome, but I'd like to keep the look close to stock
02 Tigger
02 Blackbird
75 GT380
IBA #33180

aebbern

Quote from: "Advwannabe"Let us know how the raised guard performs. The Gnarly look of Stretches kit looks awesome, but I'd like to keep the look close to stock
Got out in some good mud this past weekend.  The raised fender worked perfectly.  Raising it 1" seems to provide just enough clearance for the mud to fling off my TKC before it accumulates to the point of locking the wheel.  I'm very happy with this mod.

Cheers,
Andy
\'02 Triumph Tiger
\'04 Suzuki DR650
\'79 Laverda 1200