News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Tiger 1, WRX 0 (with pics)

Started by Coastie, February 05, 2008, 06:44:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coastie

So I was on my way to work Friday morning at about 6am going down the 101 South in the fast lane when a WRX starts tailgating me. He was about 10ft behind me. I flashed my brake lights, nothing. So I gradually slow then hard accelerate, nothing, he's still on my butt. He then changes lanes and passes me. I lose sight of him and continue on my way. Traffic slows him and I eventually catch up to him. As I'm passing him on his passenger side I look over and shake my head at him and raise my hand in a "Why?" gesture then continue on my way once again. Several minutes pass by and I am now in the #3 lane. I look in my rearview mirror to see the WRX a couple feet behind me doing about 80+ then literally 1/2 a second later he comes into my lane and sideswipes me on my left hand side. I go into a speed wobble and he ricochets to the left. He overcorrects to the right and goes into a spin directly in front of me. (Ever seen a passenger door of a car in front of you at 70mph? Pretty scary) His tires regain traction and he plows nose first into a pick-up truck. They both ricochet a couple times off the guardrail onto an off ramp. I'm able to keep the bike upright and come to a stop about 1000yds away on the shoulder of the Hwy. I called 911 and tried to walk back to the collision but got hit by some debris so I hid in front of my bike until CHP got there. I followed the CHP back to the scene on my bike. When we got to the scene the CHP would not let me talk to the driver of the WRX. They thought I was too upset or somethin. Hehe

No injuries to anybody involved including me.
WRX- totaled
Pick-up- towed away, don't know if it's totaled (probably)
Tiger- minor scratches and paint exchange on the crash bars and loose clutch lever, I continued on my way to work after the CHP were done.

...and yes, I am attempting to press charges against him.

Lessons learned:
1. Road rage is nothing to take lightly
2. Pay more attention to my surroundings (I started to become complacent living up in NorCal)
3. Suck up your pride and just change lanes to avoid a tailgater
4. My bike is a freakin tank!

As my friend Jeff always says, "ride safe"
Jim
http://tigertriple.com/forum/album_pic.php?pic_id=60

http://tigertriple.com/forum/album_pic.php?pic_id=59

http://tigertriple.com/forum/album_pic.php?pic_id=58

http://tigertriple.com/forum/album_pic.php?pic_id=57

http://tigertriple.com/forum/album_pic.php?pic_id=56

MadridTiger

good story, nice pics, nothing worse than an idiot enraged! you should see the fun I have commuting 100 kms into Madrid! glad to hear you escaped any damage! 8) you gotta love the brit build quality
MadridTiger[size=84]The IRISH Cat[/size]
ยด07 955i in black,

abruzzi

He hit you on the crash bar?  That's fucked up.  That's a long way from clipping a corner cutting you off, or something like that.

Textbook definition of schadenfreude.

Geof

ridin gaijin

Coastie, the best thing about that story is that you are OK.

The worst thing about it is that the WRX driver wasn't killed.

Do you have a claim against his insurance for your damaged crash bars...?

Again--main thing, you got home all right. That's how we win.
2005 Tiger in Lucifurry Orange. Always something new it seems...

Stretch

I fail to see how a driver deliberately bumping a motorcycle isn't attempted manslaughter.

ThreePutt

Quote from: "Stretch"I fail to see how a driver deliberately bumping a motorcycle isn't attempted manslaughter.

I agree.  Glad you're OK.
Tom

2006 Tiger
2009 BMW R1200 RT

HappyMan

Holy crap Batman!  That's screwed up.  Glad you are o.k.  Just goes to prove my point that they are all out to kill me. :shock:
Life is hard.  It\'s even harder if you\'re stupid. - John Wayne

Life\'s too short......Let\'s ride! - HappyMan

http://ridedualsport.com

wvmike

Quote from: "Stretch"I fail to see how a driver deliberately bumping a motorcycle isn't attempted manslaughter.

I have to agree on this also.Glad you recovered from the wobble,those are hard to get out of.Only ever had one,and it was a job.Glad your ok.Gotta know,I picture some little scrawny snot nosed kid being a supposed badass.Usually the case. Keep us informed how it turns out

Mike
You can\'t shake hands with a fist
01 tiger 955i
05 klr
08 KTM 990 S
what could possibly go wrong?

HockleyBoy

Sounds like a very close thing, just shows you never know what is going through someones (often tiny) mind when they are behind the wheel.
Glad to hear you are ok and your Tiger only sufferred minor damage, it is not often the case when a bike is involved.
05 Tiger Lucifer Orange (resting) 07 GSX-R1000TT K7 71 Triumph T25T 17 Tiger 1050 Sport

Mudhen

:shock:

Glad you're ok.  Good lesson, too...I never hesitate to do that - ride up next to people that have cut me off or done something stupid and get in their face to shake my head or point at them.

No more, I guess.  I'll take something from this.

Thanks for sharing.

Pat
\'96 Steamer

paulie

wow, glad to see youre OK!

as much as i love subarus(i own one), this guy sounds like he derserves whats coming to him. agreed that it should be attempted manslaughter. i say take em to the cleaners if you can.

:evil:
Current Bike: 2005 Tiger in Silver.
Former Bike (also my first): 1980 KZ650

aeronca

glad your ok, i see that stuff all the time on the 405 in renton wa. car's suck!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you take care.
Steamers Rule!!!
It's Tire, not Tyre

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!

2004Tiger

Quote from: "Coastie"So I was on my way to work Friday morning at about 6am going down the 101 South in the fast lane when a WRX starts tailgating me. He was about 10ft behind me. I flashed my brake lights, nothing. So I gradually slow then hard accelerate, nothing, he's still on my butt. He then changes lanes and passes me.
Apparently he was pissed at you because you did not yield the fast lane to him. In Colorado it is illegal to use the left lane unless you are actually passing another vehicle, irrespective of your speed compared with the speed limit. A good rule. He had to pass you on the right.

Regardless, his attempted murder was not justified. I'm glad you and Tiger are all right.

Colorado passed this law a couple of years ago because it was obvious that clueless drivers were holding up traffic in the left lane, resulting in road rage. I can't say that the law has changed anything, people have not changed their habits, the law is ignored and I have not heard of any instances of enforcement. Riding Tigger, I am often tempted to use the median shoulder to pass such vehicles, but I am not that crazy yet.
2004 Tiger. Black is beautiful. If I don\'t ride a little every day I get a little crazy.

Mudhen

Quote from: "2004Tiger"In Colorado it is illegal to use the left lane unless you are actually passing another vehicle, irrespective of your speed compared with the speed limit.

I LOVE THAT LAW!!!
\'96 Steamer

thunderthud

I just saw your post.  Glad you are OK.  Luckily I have not had to deal with road rage on my bike, it is bad enough in a car, but I prefer my pick-em up truck to stand up to the aholes.  I just bought a used set of those same crash bars and your picture confirms what I thought, some of the best $ one could spend to protect you bike.

00 Girly, blue