News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Poor finish/quality

Started by alf885, February 17, 2008, 06:28:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alf885

Is it just me or am I being over fussy? I've noticed a couple of areas of less than, well, shiny bits on my 06 Tiger.

Oil lines from sump to cooler look a bit tatty but worst of all the banjo bolts and washers are showing signs of rust. I'm not expecting a chrome like lustre just better than corroded.

The bottom yoke (triple tree?) shows signs of a rusty red crud starting to build up too.

Rear wheel nut and chain adjusters not pretty either.

Are Triumph going backwards, my '96 S3 is mint, no corrosion at all even after 11 years?

Have other owners experienced the same with the Tiger and by the way what do you clean the exhaust header pipes with? alf

sanjoh

Are you storing it outside?
01 Tiger
00 XR650R
84 VF1K
05 R6

alf885

Quote from: "sanjoh"Are you storing it outside?

Mostly I have, yes. However, it's been well covered during my ownership and cleaned off before being covered. Apart from the items I mentioned the remainder of the bike is fine that's why I suspect the quality of them.

I'll tidy it up no bother and in due course I'll replace those fasteners/washers. I have noticed one or two other Tigers that have suffered similar problems but wondered how widespread other owners experience may be with finish/quality issues. alf

HockleyBoy

The finish on my 05 is less than great after a couple of winters, I have the varnish coming off the front mudguard and nose fairing (in quite large patches which will need a respray), both of which started with stone chips but have got progressively worse. Most of the fixings don't look that great either.
I also noticed yesterday that the black paint is flaking off the rear brake.
Not all that impressive considering the bike is cleaned regularly, dealer  serviced and kept in a garage.
05 Tiger Lucifer Orange (resting) 07 GSX-R1000TT K7 71 Triumph T25T 17 Tiger 1050 Sport

oldrider

Quote from: "alf885"Is it just me or am I being over fussy? I've noticed a couple of areas of less than, well, shiny bits on my 06 Tiger.

Oil lines from sump to cooler look a bit tatty but worst of all the banjo bolts and washers are showing signs of rust. I'm not expecting a chrome like lustre just better than corroded.

The bottom yoke (triple tree?) shows signs of a rusty red crud starting to build up too.

Rear wheel nut and chain adjusters not pretty either.

Are Triumph going backwards, my '96 S3 is mint, no corrosion at all even after 11 years?

Have other owners experienced the same with the Tiger and by the way what do you clean the exhaust header pipes with? alf

Clean it all up and spray it (bike) with ACF-50 every now and then. Cheers John.
Seek first to understand, then to be understood.

TigerTrax

Just a tip for you all...

Over the years I have found that 'One Touch'  TIRE DRESSING FOAM is
a great way to clean and shine a black engine.  Spray it lightly and dab it with a paint brush.... cleaning out the tightspots..... then wipe it down and let it dry...
\'Life\'s A Journey ..... Don\'t Miss A Turn\'

Yukon

An 11% mixture of Hydrogen Chloride (Toilet Bowl Cleaner) will make the exhaust pipes look like new.  My local dealer gave me this tip but he refuses to stock this item.

HappyMan

Quote from: "Yukon"An 11% mixture of Hydrogen Chloride (Toilet Bowl Cleaner) will make the exhaust pipes look like new.  My local dealer gave me this tip but he refuses to stock this item.

I've got to try that.  Does it work only on chrome pipes?
Life is hard.  It\'s even harder if you\'re stupid. - John Wayne

Life\'s too short......Let\'s ride! - HappyMan

http://ridedualsport.com

Yukon

Quote from: "HappyMan"
Quote from: "Yukon"An 11% mixture of Hydrogen Chloride (Toilet Bowl Cleaner) will make the exhaust pipes look like new.  My local dealer gave me this tip but he refuses to stock this item.

I've got to try that.  Does it work only on chrome pipes?

The Tiger's pipes are stainless steel.  This works on stainless only and should not be used on chrome.

HappyMan

QuoteThe Tiger's pipes are stainless steel.  This works on stainless only and should not be used on chrome.

Good info!!! Danke!
Life is hard.  It\'s even harder if you\'re stupid. - John Wayne

Life\'s too short......Let\'s ride! - HappyMan

http://ridedualsport.com

DirtBiker

Don't use "Simple Green" on your engine it dulls the finish right away! Other than that my 01 is holding up great. I ride in rain, mud, snow (very little snow). store it indoors and all is good.

blacktiger

Quote from: "DirtBiker"Don't use "Simple Green" on your engine it dulls the finish right away!

These engines go dull no matter what you use. It's like the paint oxidizes. I've found some (what we call) "T cut" paint cutting stuff brings the shine back for a while. Or, just wipe it over with Motrex 645 Protect & Shine every time you clean the bike.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.