News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Tiger recalls - fuel connectors

Started by Bliker, February 27, 2008, 04:28:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bliker

I have an 04 Tiger with the plastic quick connect fuel lines. Were those covered under a factory recall? If they were I never received notice. I just happened to come across a post on ADV Rider and it sounded like they may be covered under a recall, with metal fittings. I have my tank off now and one of the connectors on the tank leaks when unconnected.
2004 Tiger

Stretch

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/

Click on 'Search Our Recall Database' and then follow the directions.

Quoted:

TRIUMPH RESPONDED TO ODI'S INFORMATION REQUEST ON FEBRUARY 23, 2004. IN ADDITION TO THE MY2000-2002 TRIUMPH DAYTONA AND SPRINT MODELS, TRIUMPH IDENTIFIED THE FOLLOWING ADDITIONAL MODELS THAT WERE BUILT WITH THE SAME FUEL LINE FITTINGS: 2000-2003 TT600, 2002-2004 SPEED FOUR, 2004 DAYTONA 600, 1997-2004 DAYTONA T595 & 955, 1997-2004 SPEED TRIPLE 855 & 955, 2000-2004 SPRINT RS 955, 1999-2004 SPRINT ST 955, AND 1999-2004 TIGER 855 & 955. THE MAJORITY OF THESE MOTORCYCLES WILL BE INCLUDED IN THE RECALL. A MODIFIED CONNECTOR WAS INTRODUCED LATE IN CALENDAR YEAR 2003, WHICH DOES NOT APPEAR TO EXHIBIT THE DEFECT. MOTORCYCLES BUILT AFTER THE MODIFICATION WILL NOT BE RECALLED. TRIUMPH IDENTIFIED 13 UNITED STATES AND 6 UK COMPLAINTS. ONE US COMPLAINT APPEARED TO BE RELATED TO A POSSIBLE CRASH WHERE LEAKING FUEL CAUSED A LOSS OF TRACTION. AFTER ODI'S REVIEW OF TRIUMPH'S DOCUMENTS, FOLLOWED BY A DISCUSSION OF RELEVANT FACTS WITH TRIUMPH, THEY MADE THE DECISION TO CONDUCT THE RECALL. THE RECALLED VEHICLES WILL HAVE THE PLASTIC FUEL CONNECTORS REPLACED WITH A SIMILARLY DESIGNED ALUMINUM CONNECTOR. THIS INVESTIGATION IS CLOSED.

Bliker

I guess I should have done a search before I posted. I found this. I'm hoping This covers all 04's.

Recall ID #21915
Recall ID #21915 - FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE:DELIVERY:HOSES, LINES/PIPING, AND FITTINGS
Recall ID #21915 - FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE:DELIVERY:HOSES, LINES/PIPING, AND FITTINGS
Recall Date    APR 07, 2004
Component    FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE:DELIVERY:HOSES, LINES/PIPING, AND FITTINGS
Motorcycle Affected    TIGER
Potential Motorcycles Affected    18998 Recall Details
Recall Date
APR 07, 2004

Motorcycle Affected
2004 TRIUMPH TIGER

Summary
ON CERTAIN MOTORCYCLES, THE FUEL CONNECTOR LINKING EACH OF THE FEED AND RETURN FUEL HOSES TO THE FUEL PUMP MOUNTING PLATE MAY FRACTURE FOLLOWING IN-SERVICE HANDLING.

Consequence
FUEL COULD ESCAPE FROM THE FRACTURED BODY OF THE CONNECTOR ONTO THE ENGINE OR SIDE OF THE BIKE. FUEL LEAKAGE, IN THE PRESENCE OF AN IGNITION SOURCE, CAN RESULT IN A FIRE.

Remedy
DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE CONNECTOR. THE RECALL BEGAN ON JULY 30, 2004. OWNERS SHOULD CONTACT TRIUMPH AT 1-678-854-2010.

Potential Motorcycles Affected

Notes
TRIUMPH MOTORCYCLES (AMERICA) LTD
2004 Tiger

Stretch

Quote from: "Bliker"OWNERS SHOULD CONTACT TRIUMPH AT 1-678-854-2010.

Ah, very nice.

Bliker

Stretch, I believe it was your post that I was reading on ADV Rider. I guess I'll give the dealer a call tomorrow to see if my bike is covered or not. I'll replace them either way.
2004 Tiger

Stretch

Really?  What did I say?

Nevermind, it was probably bullshit.   :mrgreen:

pit0rz

Bliker, I assume you used this page on the Triumph US site...

http://www.triumph.co.uk/usa/4799.aspx

Anyways there's the link if anyone needs to check their bike out.
Steve P.
'03 Tiger - Luci

CBAT

I checked my '96 and there was nothing to report. I guess that's a good thing.  :D
Bruce

Chris Canning

The recall only covers the male part,having had the female part shear off and dump a full tank of fuel over a red hot motor,i wouldn't bother with Triumph,if you intend keeping the bike,fit the metal version(male and female).
http://www.rideteamtriumph.com/tiger.htm

Bliker

I was looking at mine and that's what I have, metal male connectors and plastic female connectors. I guess I'll just order the female pieces. I know Bike Bandit has them for about $22 apiece, not sure if they're plastic or metal.
2004 Tiger

Bliker

Well I think I got everything figured out. Chris was correct, the recall only covers the male end, and mine are already metal.  I ended up ordering two metal female ends and two O-rings for the metal male ends.  It's going to be about $40-$45 shipped to the house. I ordered them from Team Triumph (Wisconsin). I talked to Atlanta triumph, but they claimed they only sold the female connectors in plastic and had never heard of the metal female connectors. The do sale the male connectors in metal.
2004 Tiger

flux

Quote from: "Bliker"I talked to Atlanta triumph, but they claimed they only sold the female connectors in plastic and had never heard of the metal female connectors. The do sale the male connectors in metal.

That shop sucks.  I hear the one in Chattanooga is much better.

Bliker

I've always heard Atlanta Triumph was the best shop to go to in the Atlanta area. I had my valves and throttle bodies synced by them, with no problem. If you know of somebody better, speak up. The only other Triumph shop in the area, that I know of, is in Cumming Ga. They are a family owned shop, nice people, but I'm not sure how their  mechanics are.
2004 Tiger

Stretch

Atlanta Triumph-Ducati are very good folks to deal with.

Not taking anything away from the shop in Cumming, I simply have never been there...

http://tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,4042

FullMonte

Quote from: "Stretch"Atlanta Triumph-Ducati are very good folks to deal with.

Was your opinion formed before or after the feces hit the fan and the subsequent employee shakeup at that shop?  Not trying to discount your experience there Stretch, but several local Blokessportbike forum members (who own Triumphs & Ducs)have made it clear to stay away from ATD.  Have things gotten better since the staffing changes at ATD?