News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Rear Shock - Swingarm Removal

Started by Bliker, March 03, 2008, 03:39:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bliker

I am in the process of removing the rear shock and swingarm to  grease the bearings. Can the Swingarm and shock be removed (as one unit) without taking the rear shock off first. I have the top bolt of the shock loose and the muffler off. I'm just trying to avoid having to take the header pipes off. I'm hoping that once I have the swingarm bolt out that it will lower out as one piece. It's on 04 Tiger.
2004 Tiger

Chris Canning

You can do that if you want,but why!!,when i put my Ohlin on,knocked the bottom shaft out from the right side without a problem,you most certainley do not need to take the headers off,it's close,just need a thing bar to knock it out with.

Bliker

I'll take another look, but it doesn't look like I have enough room. The end of the header pipe is directly in front of the right side hole. I just thought it might be easier to take it off as one unit, since they have to both come off anyway.
2004 Tiger

randel

I think you should be able to do that. I replaced chain (endless) on my '01 Tiger and didn't disconnect rear shock, I only removed swingarm pivot bolt, but I believe there is enough room to remove swingarm and  shock together.
2001 Roulette Green Tiger

Chris Canning

I found the hassle wasn't getting the shaft out,it's getting the nut back on the end when your putting it back together,now that is a pain.

As for getting the shaft out,i used a thin(squeeze between the header and in the swingarm hole) bar to drift the shaft out with the nut loose but still on to protect the thread when the shaft starts to move take the nut off.

The other thing before you start,have the bike on the side stand,take the blanking plug out of the swing arm,spray loads of WD or similiar,better still leave it overnight befoer you start.

Bliker

Any tricks on getting the two thin spacers to stay in place while installing the swingarm. I put a little grease on them to get the to stick, but they are still pushing out when I try to install the swingarm. :evil:
2004 Tiger

Bliker

Any tricks wood be helpful. I can fit the swingarm in easily with just one spacer, but add the second and it is to tight to slide in place. A had to pound the swingarm with a rubber mallet to get it out. It was really tight.
2004 Tiger

randel

I had exactly the same problem! Problem is, there are small recesses for spacers in frame. Use grease to hold the spacers in place in recesses and then carefully slide swingarm in place. If you try to install spacers with swingarm, there is not enough room.
2001 Roulette Green Tiger

Bliker

That's exactly what I've been doing, little grease and stuck in the frame. I just can't quite get the arm to slip in without dislodging one of the spacers. I tried it with one spacer in the frame, just to see how close it was to fitting,  and it went on with little trouble.  I have to be about 1/2 mm from fitting. The spindles on the shock and swingarm came out easily,but the swingarm was really tight pulling it away from the frame. I'm going to the basement to give it another go tonight. I had to give up last night, and walk away, before I decided to get the sledge.
2004 Tiger