News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

New Helmet Advise Needed

Started by McGuiver, March 09, 2008, 04:29:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

McGuiver

I know this topic has been covered in the past, but it doesn't appear that it's been discussed recently. I need a new helmet, and I'm a bit overwhelmed with the amount of choices out there! What helmets are you guys wearing, and how do you like them??? I have a BIG head, and it is sometimes hard for me to find a lid that fits me. Just as importantly, I want a helmet that vents well,  is fairly quiet, and has a removeable liner that is washable.......oh and I'm hoping to spend around 2-300 dollars. Anyone care to chime in on this one??? Thanks guys!!!
2006 Caspian Blue Tiger

2005 GasGas 450 FSE

Dr. Mordo

First, there are some great closeout places for cheap helms.

http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/
http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/common/Frontpage.jsp
and I've seen some good deals on
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/

Second, I really want the new HJC Sy-max II with flip down sunscreen. It has two visors, one is clear, the other is tinted and is up in the helmet.  When you want tint you push a lever and you have tint.  Then push a button to retract.
1999 BMW F650

1996 Tiger

SilvrSRT10

Check out the Scorpion EXO-700. I just bought one off Ebay for $130 (2xl) shipped. It is DOT/Snell cert., has a removable liner, fog free shield and lots of vents. I've read a lot of good things about the helmet but haven't had a chance to test it myself yet. It's been compared to helmets 3X it's cost.

There are some neat dual sport helmets out there now that pull double duty. They work as both a street helmet with the flip up shield but has the MX look with the visor. Shoei Hornet, Arai XD are a couple to look at. They go for around $350-$450 though.

TigerTrax

Capn Quack loves his Scorpion.

I like my Shoei 8000 and am looking at a new Shoei Multitec.

Several guys like their Nolans.

Some like HJC.

Blah ... blah ... blah.

But if you are a Tiger rider wind noise and buffeting are your enemy.
You can help reduce with a change in windscreen and widening placement
of your mirrors.

I think once you've done that... then you can pick a helmet that is
comfortable to wear.

PS... wear ear plugs.... foam type are best unless you have customs made.
\'Life\'s A Journey ..... Don\'t Miss A Turn\'

CBAT

I like my Nolan N102-Com. I really like the flip down sun visor and the modular chin bar. I wear glasses and it makes donning and doffing much easier. The inner sheild also works good against fogging. I have a large round head, 7 1/2, and the XL fits like a glove.
Bruce

sanjoh

Quote from: "TigerTrax"But if you are a Tiger rider wind noise and buffeting are your enemy.
You can help reduce with a change in windscreen and widening placement
of your mirrors.

I think once you've done that... then you can pick a helmet that is
comfortable to wear.

PS... wear ear plugs.... foam type are best unless you have customs made.

Just widened my mirrors with these

Reduced the buffeting but still there.  I'm ready for a new helmet as well.  Tried the Caberg Justimo(sp?) and like it a lot.  Gonna buy the Caberg Trip which replaced the Justimo.
01 Tiger
00 XR650R
84 VF1K
05 R6

noivson

Tried a lot over the years. Fat Head also.
Settled on the EXO 700 in '05.
Feeling frisky this spring, splurged for the 1000.
We're under a blanket of snow so my riding has only been local.
Plenty of features, interior tinted shield, anti-fog lever for stop lights.
Vents operate with gloves on. Chick pads are inflatable. 2XL= $300.00.
online..... :)
Ride More-Worry Less! \'05 Lucifer Orange \'S\'

Tonto

Bought the Caberg Justisimo GP recently as my Arai tour x was misting up really badly and the Arai visor scratches very easily making night driving look like a ride in kaleidoscope, the Caberg is great in rain, water just runs off it and it doesn't mist up, the anti scratch finish means night time riding is a much nicer experience and the flip down sun visor is a neat touch, but it is a very noisy helmet, the modular design means air noise almost totally blocks out engine noise and I like to hear my engine, it doesn't have the really nice peripheral vision that my Arai has and the quality isn't anywhere near as good either, so I think I am going back to the Arai as soon as the weather improves and then get out the Caberg when winter comes back around.

paulie

i LOVE the look of that Caberg! the sunshade looks to be the bee's balls. Its too bad it doesn't vent very well, and is apparently a bit noisy.

yea, helmets are such a personal choice. what works for one, may not work for another.

i'm also in the market for a new helmet, so i will certainly be watching this thread.  :)

i took a chance on a web purchased nolan x-lite helmet. it didnt fit right in the cheeks, and CIMA told me replacement parts(thicker pads, etc...) were not available for my model because it was discontinued. oh well, i got it for a steal, so not too big of $ loss. it will be a nice helmet for my passengers at least! :D

i'm currently looking into HJC, as my old CL-12 fit awesome and was pretty quiet, despite the complete lack of venting. i can't even feel any difference with vents open or closed. i'm thinking of either the CL-MAX or the CL-SP.. we shall see!
Current Bike: 2005 Tiger in Silver.
Former Bike (also my first): 1980 KZ650

WIDGIN

If I were looking for something to replace my Arai XD, I'd probably get a Shoei Hornet since they've come to the USA.  :P
WIDGIN (When In Doubt, Gas It Now)
BRG 2005 955i R.I.P.

FullMonte

I've got a Shoei Hornet and love it.  My normal street lid is a Shoei RF1000 so it fits perfectly.  The Hornet is really a dualsport helmet and I've only used it twice on the Tiger (for a total of 520 miles) and it performed surprisingly well.  Great venting, acceptable noise level (I wear plugs), and good outward vision conspire to make this a keeper.  The visor doesn't tug as much as I thought it would but you definitely know its there, especially over 70mph.  That being said, high speed slabbing is not the Hornet's forte.  Dual sport riding in the woods is where it excels.

HockleyBoy

You might want to have a look at the Schuberth Concept, ticks all your boxes and has the tinted internal sunshade. Looks like a quality helmet and right now they are on sale for £149 in the uk which equates to about $300.
05 Tiger Lucifer Orange (resting) 07 GSX-R1000TT K7 71 Triumph T25T 17 Tiger 1050 Sport

jakes10mm

Just picked up a Bell Apex Matrix from Motorcyclesuperstore.com.  Couldn't pass up on a Kevlar DOT/Snell 2005 helmet for $90.  So far, I'm liking the helmet, but I've only had it a few days and on my head for about 2 hours total.  Happy with the quality....and much better fit than my wife's old helmet that is one size too small.  The Scorpion EXO-700s and EXO-400s were the next options.

Also check out:
ironpony.com (just got a close-out Teknic Monsoon Gortex jacket from them)
tonker.com
imotorcyclestore.com
06 Tiger 955i

wuff

I have a large head as well I wear a 3 to 4 x depending on the lid. I just bought a Vega Altura for $96.00 out the door. Pretty good lid but it is not real quiet. Although it does have a removable liner and has pretty good venting. Granted it is not a Shoei or Arai but it is not in the same $ range either. Good luck on the helm. Let us know what you wind up with.
No matter where you are, You are there.

abruzzi

I just ordered a Shoei Hornet from parts411.com---$360 shipped.  More expensive than I usually pay for a helmet, but they look pretty:

Geof