News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

General questions from prospective buyer

Started by Jrod, March 12, 2008, 02:44:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jrod

I'm in the market for an adventure bike and the Tiger is currently at the top of my list.  

First, it looks like you guys have a great forum with lots of info.  

I've owned Triumph's in the past, but this would be my first Tiger and I have a few questions before I pull the trigger.

- Is it possible to run an additional fuse block (bluesea type) for additional electronics?

-How hard is it to get to OEM heated grips if not already installed on the bike?

-Will the alternator handle running additional electronics/lights?

-How bad is the maintenance at the dealer/what are the service intervals?

From what I've gathered on the forum crash bars are a must, and if off-roading at all I should have the sump,oil cooler,radiator guards?  I'm also curious about the stock seat; are there any options other than Corbin, or the Triumph gel seat?

My last question has to do with year models.  I'm looking at 05 models because I prefer the look of the cast wheel, but are there other year models that seem to be a better all-around bike?

Thanks in advance, and sorry for the long winded post.

cbxtc6

Welcome!

1.  No problem adding an extra fuseblock.
2. The OEM heated grip kit is expensive, but very straight-forward to install.  I'd say it's a 3 beer job.
3. Depending on how much extra amperage you'll be pulling, I'd suggest a battery/volt meter installation, just to keep an eye on things.  I run both high beams, electric grips, liner, and GPS with no problems.
4.  Dealer service tends to be expensive, but to do it yourself is quite easy.  Buy a copy of the factory manual off ebay for $25.  Intervals are 12k for valve clearance check.  I do oil/filter every 5k.
5. Yes, I'd say crash bars are a must, since mine have saved some plastic damage a few times.  I'd like to add sump and radiator guards, since I am doing more and more off-road.  
6.  I ran the stock seat, bought a Corbin, and loved it, but it limited my foot-to-gound ability.  I didn't liek the gel.  I now run with the stock seat, with sheepskin for long runs.
7.  Model years is a personal thing.  I'd get an earlier steamer (855 - carbs)if you're donig more off-road.  Any of the 955s are great.  Spoked or cast wheels are your basic choice.  

Best of luck, and have FUN!

M

bahtiger

cbxtc6 gave you good answers. Just thought I would chime in to point out that someone just listed a nice, clean '05 Tiger with 12,000 miles on sport-touring.net for $6,000. Looks like a great deal to me.

Jrod

That bike is on ADVrider as well, and I've got my eye on it.  I'm waiting for an insurance check before I pull the trigger, but I expect it soon!

ridin gaijin

Tigers are deathtraps. Anyone planing to ride any significant distance on one ought to have their head examined. Also, don't you live like right next door to Triumph USA?
2005 Tiger in Lucifurry Orange. Always something new it seems...

Stretch

Gaijin jests, as he has a several-thousand mile trip coming up shortly, and many of us have also done similar trips on our Tiggers.

They just eat up the miles.

I believe Triumph USA is in Newnan, near the Alabama border, an hour or so south of Atlanta.  Alpharetta is north of the ATL.

oldrider

In my humble opinion, Tigers are an excellent road bike, by that I mean "almost any" kind of road will do and the Tiger will do it with you!

If you ride a Tiger like a chook chaser, (trail bike) it will eventually sort you out!

Tigers have their own way of doing things, ride it like it tells you to and you will be amazed at just where and how you can go riding together.

If you want perfect conditions behind the faring and screen, don't buy a Tiger, (or any other venture bike) just get yourself a Gold-Wing or something.

Buy a Tiger for what "it" can do and "you" will become a very, very, satisfied motorcycle owner indeed. Cheers John.
Seek first to understand, then to be understood.