News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Front end feedback

Started by Jrod, March 29, 2008, 02:31:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jrod

So I took delivery of my 2001 Tiger today and rode it for the first time.  Granted I have been without a bike for around a year it definately has a different feel from the front than my sportbikes had.  I can't tell if it's because the front wheel on the tiger is 19" vs th 17" that was on the sportbikes, but it has a really vague feel - almost like the pressure is low, but it's not.

Has anyone else experienced this, or is it just down to the fact that it's a different bike with a different feel?

Thanks!

JetdocX

No the forks are shit.  Get some stiffer springs and emulators in there and all will be well.

I had Traxxion Dynamics do mine.  Me likey!
From parts unknown.

flux

Lowering the forks in the triple clamps helped the feel for me...I don't have the $ for fork reworking right now so this is a good temporary solution.

John Stenhouse

And while your at it get a white power rear shock, totally transforms the bike.
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

Stretch

Cheap and quick... changing to a bit heavier fork oil might help the situation a bit.

Mustang

Making some preload spacers about an inch thick make a world of differance ! :D

+1 on the heavier oil too ! try some 15 wt fork oil  :wink:

sanjoh

That vague feel is pretty scary, especially in the sand.  More than anything, I think the rake is to blame!

Has anyone fitted a steering damper on their tiger?
01 Tiger
00 XR650R
84 VF1K
05 R6

HappyMan

I think Fano did but it wasn't simple.
Life is hard.  It\'s even harder if you\'re stupid. - John Wayne

Life\'s too short......Let\'s ride! - HappyMan

http://ridedualsport.com

Stretch

Hm.  Coming off of a cruiser like I did, I didn't find anything wrong with the Tigger's handling.  But if I had spent time on a sportbike, it's quite possible I would be looking for a fix also.  Interesting.

Bruincounselor

Quote from: "JetdocX"No the forks are shit.  Get some stiffer springs and emulators in there and all will be well.

+1 Race Tech did mine. Once you do that be prepared to ugrade the rear sponge too. Works built one for my weight.

Swapping to a 17 front rim will quicken the steering significantly, but doesn't make the fork legs stiffer..... I've never needed a stabilizer for my street riding.
Bruin\'

fano

Quote from: "sanjoh"That vague feel is pretty scary, especially in the sand.  More than anything, I think the rake is to blame!

Did somebody mention steering damper?
http://tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,3457

JUICEDTD

Quote from: "sanjoh"That vague feel is pretty scary, especially in the sand.  More than anything, I think the rake is to blame!

Most any bike will feel terrible in the sand unless you have a steering stabalizer locked out. Even then if you not on the gas the front end gets pretty sketchy. I run a scotts steering stabalizer on my dirtbike for desert action.(crf 450x)
06 Tiger
05 CRF 450x
pw 50 (sons bike)

sold: 08 KLR, 07 Drz 400sm,

blacktiger

If you're trying to make the Tiger feel like a sports bike, forget it. The Tiger is much heavier and has twice the suspension travel than a sports bikes' forks.
You can spend money on emulators or revalving but I'd experiment with fork oils up to 15W. Put slightly more oil in there and maybe heavier springs.
Another thing to get right is the tyre pressures. If it's off the book pressures (F=36/R=42psi) it can make it feel terrible.
You've really got to accept that it's never going to be a sports bike.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.