News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Advice on buying 2003 Tiger

Started by diggerT, April 04, 2008, 11:54:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

diggerT

I have been offered a 2003 2,600 mile tiger 1 owner full dealer service history.
Is there anything I should check over/ask before commiting to buy?

It is from a reputable dealer

Cheers

DiggerT

pit0rz

Make sure the fuel fittings recall has been performed.  Other than that, enjoy!
Steve P.
'03 Tiger - Luci

iansoady

And the correction to the crossed-over coolant pipes to the expansion tank.

Other than those things, nothing really to worry about.

It always surprises me how few miles some people do on their Tigers - that's only 500 miles a year or so. Unless of course it's a typo....
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

Mustang

Quote from: "iansoady"It always surprises me how few miles some people do on their Tigers - that's only 500 miles a year or so. Unless of course it's a typo....
Actually it is just not tiger specific , we would ALL probably be suprised at how many people buy a new machine to recapture lost youth or for whatever other numerous reasons there are and quickly discover it is not what they thought it was going to be .......it then sits sadly in the garage until the day the owner decides it is time to make room ,or has a new fancy and then one of us lucky bastards get a really sweet deal on a 5 year old bike that is still NEW !
Digger are you keeping the steamer or are you trading in on the 03 ?

diggerT

I love the Steamer but I use the bike everyday and do bike training at weekends and the steamer is great but needs constant attention for minor irritations, last week I put it onto reserve and the pipes or filters were blocked somewhere and the headlights started only to work on full beam. Not really massive problems but I do need a bike that is more reliable as I don't have my own car anymore. In an ideal world I would keep both!

I also want to do a few more tours and as I am not particularly mechanical, don't want to be worrying about it breaking down.

Overall the Steamer is a great bike and I have had a lot done to it such as the sprag clutch, hagon shock, new progressive springs etc but it is a 15 year old 60k bike so you have to expect the odd niggle.

I anyone is after one let me know as I don't think I can afford two bikes but love the Tiger in all forms

Mustang

you are on the wrong side of the pond ......or I would buy your steamer in a heartbeat !

diggerT

Well I have bought the above bike and it's great, everyone asks me if it is brand new it looks so good.
One question I have is about altering the clutch span, it is quite a stretch for my smallish hands (ah!), any ideas to get round this, not a major problem just a niggle.

iansoady

Easiest way is just to allow a bit more free movement in the cable (and the old trick was to put a chain spring link over the cable between the lever and mount - but that probably wouldn't work on the Tiger). I believe that the lever from some other Triumph models will fit but that you lose the handguard.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

blacktiger

Quote from: "diggerT"Well I have bought the above bike and it's great, everyone asks me if it is brand new it looks so good.
One question I have is about altering the clutch span, it is quite a stretch for my smallish hands (ah!), any ideas to get round this, not a major problem just a niggle.

Was it a Gedges bike?

As for the lever span. Some people reckon that adjustable levers from some  Kawasaki models fit. Got any mates with Kawasakis?
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

diggerT

I got it from Laguna at Maidstone who sold it originally and have serviced it, luckily when they quoted the price over the phone they didn't realise it had a centre stand and factory heated grips so that was a result.
I don't know any kawasaki owners but will ask around, any particular models?

Off to Belgium this weekend to try it out properly....

Cheers

DiggerT

blacktiger

Quote from: "diggerT"I don't know any kawasaki owners but will ask around, any particular models?

Off to Belgium this weekend to try it out properly....

Cheers

DiggerT

ZZR1100 rings a bell from memory.

Enjoy your trip.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.