News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Broken Fuel Pump Connector

Started by Bruincounselor, April 16, 2008, 05:03:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruincounselor

Sunday was a tragic day in the garage:

I was routing some wire for my new GPS and pulled the tank. When reinstalling it I felt some resistance and then heard a loud POP and it slid in easily. Turns out the tank was pressing on the left side of the front fairing and actually snapped the little wing off. It doesn't look too bad and I can live with it for now. You need to be 4 feet tall to see the damage. That'll teach me to pull a full tank off the Tiger. I then proceeded to nick an O-ring inserting the fuel connector - glad I keep a few spares handy.

But the bigger calamity was that after I got it together the bike started and died. And it wouldn't restart. It turned over great, battery 1 year old.  I discovered I had broken the female connector that attaches to the fuel pump - just the very end that securely latches to the male connector. Apparently the fuel pump had electrons long enough to get up to pressure before the connector slipped apart.

I can't see a way to bypass this connector because the male end is part of the tank. The only way to get the connector from Triumph is to buy the entire harness ($$$$$). Does anyone have a connector laying around?
Bruin\'

iansoady

Is it just the latch that's broken? I did that with my fan connector & just used a cable tie to hold it together.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

Bruincounselor

Quote from: "iansoady"Is it just the latch that's broken? I did that with my fan connector & just used a cable tie to hold it together.

I thought about that, but I'm wary of losing power when I absolutely F-ing need it. This is a critical connection.
Bruin\'

CvPiper

Is it the L shaped connector that plugs into the fuel pump/metal plate on the tank?
2005 Tiger 955i, Lucifer Orange
3 Box Luggage
Rider and Pillion Gel Seats
Touring Screen
TOR Can
Scottoiller
Autocom (Work in Progress)

CvPiper

Is the part on this picture?
2005 Tiger 955i, Lucifer Orange
3 Box Luggage
Rider and Pillion Gel Seats
Touring Screen
TOR Can
Scottoiller
Autocom (Work in Progress)

Bruincounselor

Quote from: "CvPiper"Is the part on this picture?

No. It's the connector that is part of the main wiring harness that attaches to the plug on the side of the tank.
Bruin\'

blacktiger

Can't you break the connector completely and get the actual metal bits out of it and just individually push them on?
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

Bruincounselor

Quote from: "blacktiger"Can't you break the connector completely and get the actual metal bits out of it and just individually push them on?

Sure. I could, but what's going to keep the connectors together? This is my fuel supply were talking about.

Am I an idiot?
Bruin\'