News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Fuel mileage

Started by pit0rz, April 19, 2008, 04:45:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stook

Quote from: "pit0rz"I see my '03 tank capacity is listed at 6.3 gallons.  Assuming I could squeeze 40mpg out of her, that gives us a range of 253 miles.  My fuel light comes on at 200'ish miles. Looks to be a little more than a gallon left at fill up so it sounds accurate.  What are you guys seeing in the mileage department?  Most of my riding is backroads, some commuting, Little or no Interstate.  I'm pretty easy on the bike.

2006 bone stock (as far as engine and drivetrain go) - I get very much the same as Geoff (48 - 50 MPG pretty much no matter what). I ride a reasonable style and I tend to stick to the highway speed limit, not the bike's speed limit but I'm not above lighting it off now and then "just for the fun of it" given the right opportunity. Doesn't seem to hurt mileage, but I'm sure a more aggressive riding style would cut mileage back in a hurry.

blacktiger

On my '02 with standard can & tune, I've fitted a 19T front sprocket, K&N air filter and Irridium plugs. On mixed roads I usually go 230~240 miles before the light comes on. Working on UK gallons that's 57~60mpg. I think that's about 48mpgUS.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

pit0rz

41.5 MPG on this last tank...  :x
Steve P.
'03 Tiger - Luci

jmurguia

I just bought my '06 2 weeks ago...has Staintune setup and getting POOR mpg. About 30 mpg in mix use.  It has just under 12,000 miles and due for service.  I'm sure it will improve with service.

It is running very rich - I remove the baffle after a few days and it was covered in very dark, black soot...any ideas why? (This is my 1st fuel injected bike)
2006 Triumph Tiger - BEST BIKE I\'VE OWNED!

haulin' daze

05 with Thunderbike can, off-road tune and 195 lb totally ripped (yeah right  :lol: ) rider. 99% commuting all different times of day. 50% rush hour snarl, 50% wide open roads.
Average about 46 mpg. I have a 19 tooth in my basement, just not sure if I want to put it on. I'd love to average 50 mpg.
What tire pressures you guys running with?

clayrat

made a 20t sprocket for 06 tiger ,revs 3700  at 100kh =60mph  returns 20 km a litre or 60mpg  : cruisen  around 4000 rpm .aceleration is no problem as u are right in torque range .sprocket clears swingarm .These tiger moters are very usable low down even with a tall gearing ..
fastest is best

Gavin Blod

My '01 955i with the TOR exhaust and my Father's stock '06 both were getting exactly 50 mpg on our recent trip. This included two lane, mild off road and interstate riding.

I was pleased with the results considering how much fun the bikes are.  :D

jmurguia

Help - '06 is still only getting 36 MPG, even after 12,000 service!
(Service + rear brake pads = $549.89) Using Supreme (@91 Octane).

Staintune exhaust, not sure which map, weigh 160 lbs...

Rode 300 miles today in the Texas Hill Country at a brisk pace, with panniers and Oxnard Tailbag = @ 34 MPG...incredible motor though!

Also, gas gauge worked before service and now only indicates 110% full all the time...

Any ideas how to improve my mileage? Gas Gauge? (Headed back to dealer about both issues)...
2006 Triumph Tiger - BEST BIKE I\'VE OWNED!

John Stenhouse

So on your 300 mile trip how many tanks, two? If so, I can get mine to do that sort of figure. Two ways, 80-90mph will bring the mileage down and also be careful of how you fill up, if you just brim the tank and give up then I get about 170 miles(english miles) til the light comes on. If I brim it and then trickle the last bit in with the bike upright I can get 200 miles til the light and closer to 230 if I'm taking it easy and cruising.
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

stook

Quote from: "jmurguia"Help - '06 is still only getting 36 MPG, even after 12,000 service!
(Service + rear brake pads = $549.89) Using Supreme (@91 Octane).

Staintune exhaust, not sure which map, weigh 160 lbs...

Rode 300 miles today in the Texas Hill Country at a brisk pace, with panniers and Oxnard Tailbag = @ 34 MPG...incredible motor though!

Also, gas gauge worked before service and now only indicates 110% full all the time...

Any ideas how to improve my mileage? Gas Gauge? (Headed back to dealer about both issues)...

I have to assume that either something is wrong with the bike or else you're really flogging the fool out of the thing.

I can cruise at 80 on the interstate with stock panniers and large Givi top box fully loaded (plus me at 200 lbs) and still get 50 mpg. Or, I can crawl up and down hills on fire roads and never get out of second or third gear and still get 50 mpg. My Tiger is a bone stock '06 with 6,100 miles on it. The only way I could get 34 mpg would be to ride 80 in 5th gear for a couple of hours. Speaking of which, are you using 6th gear much? I know that sounds like a stupid question  but I've talked to new Tiger owners who just couldn't remember to shift into 6th either because their old bikes only had 5 speeds or because their old bikes didn't have the torque the Tiger does and they needed to be in lower gears in situations where there is just NO reason to downshift the Tiger.

Just got back from a 1200 mile trip through the Ozarks and most of that riding is very comparable to Hill Country roads. If anything, the hills are a lot steeper in the Ozarks than in the Hill Country. I still got 50 mpg whether on the mountain roads, twisties or unpaved roads.

My gas gauge dives straight to "empty" if I overfill the tank. After I ride the top gallon out of it, it comes back to normal and is actually pretty accurate. I usually fill up somewhere around 200 miles, but I'm comfortable pushing it out to 250 if the situation warrants doing so.

Not very helpful to you in diagnosing your mileage concerns, I know, but maybe it's at least confirmation that you need to keep looking for the solution.

simonxrv

I tend to find that my gauge sits slightly higher when i'm on the move and the sinks down a bit when i stop at.  I though it was just changes in speed etc but checked it sitting at a smooth constant speed and its still the same, it will sink slightly when i stop.  As for the fuel light, does my needle have to be well into the red for it to come on, as i still haven't seen it one yet?

goosen2002

Quote from: "sanjoh"Has anyone found taller gearing (ie 19 tooth counter) to reduce fuel consumption?

I put a 19 tooth sprocket on over the winter and my milage has gone from 50 to 54 mpg. I was a bit surprised as I also fit  an oxygen bypass sensor and had heard this eats into you milage.
Black 2002

goosen2002

Quote from: "blacktiger"On my '02 with standard can & tune, I've fitted a 19T front sprocket, K&N air filter and Irridium plugs. On mixed roads I usually go 230~240 miles before the light comes on. Working on UK gallons that's 57~60mpg. I think that's about 48mpgUS.

I just read this after posting my last reply. It sounds like Blacktiger and i are enjoying the same benefits from having done the same things. I did all this on my black 02 , plus ( as stated before) the oxygen sensor bypass.

Maybe the great milage is because the bike is black?
Black 2002

looch

I figure I lost about 150km's of range by fitting the TOR and the 10121 map. I don't remember the exact numbers when it was stock, but I was getting 40-43 mpg with the TOR set-up.

It was fun, but I have since switched it back and installed the 10120 "Wayne-Amended-AF" tune. I should have some good data by mid summer.
Looch

blacktiger

Quote from: "goosen2002"
Quote from: "blacktiger"On my '02 with standard can & tune, I've fitted a 19T front sprocket, K&N air filter and Irridium plugs. On mixed roads I usually go 230~240 miles before the light comes on. Working on UK gallons that's 57~60mpg. I think that's about 48mpgUS.

I just read this after posting my last reply. It sounds like Blacktiger and i are enjoying the same benefits from having done the same things. I did all this on my black 02 , plus ( as stated before) the oxygen sensor bypass.

Maybe the great milage is because the bike is black?

Yeah! Less air resistance with black. Especially at night because the air can't see you coming.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.