News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

ridin's stupid tire question

Started by ridin gaijin, April 30, 2008, 04:26:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ridin gaijin

05 Tiger = 150/70 on 17" rims, as is duly noted in the Tire thread. A pal has a hardly-ridden rear Anakee which I could really use, as my rear Pilot is toast, smooth and buttery. He rides a KLR.

His is a 130/80 on 17" rim. Possible...?
2005 Tiger in Lucifurry Orange. Always something new it seems...

TigerTrax

There is a 1" difference in rim width with the KLR vs Tiger.
I wouldn't do it.

I think the Anakee is a 140/80 and 150/70 size that you should use.

My 2006 Tiger came with Anakees.... I really liked them. I replaced with Tourance... would suggest Anakees!
\'Life\'s A Journey ..... Don\'t Miss A Turn\'

JetdocX

I like my new Anakees even though they cost so fookin' much.  Air down in the dirt and you almost have knobs, IMO.

Lookin at running Maxxis next time around for a look see.
From parts unknown.

Tiger-G

I'd be careful.

There's nothing worse than a "rim" that's too tight !!  :oops:  :lol:
Safe Riding.

Regards,
Graeme.

WIDGIN

Quote from: "JetdocX"Lookin at running Maxxis next time around for a look see.

I much prefer my Maxxis to the Anakee's that came on bike.  Much better offroad, however their life sucks.  I just ordered a new rear Maxxis to replace one with just under 3K on it.   :roll:  

For comparison, I got 5K out of Anakee rear (however, 2K were from previous owner who certainly didn't ride as hard as I do.  Therefore, I estimate I'd probably get 4K out of new Anakee rear).  After I wear out this Maxxis, I may try a set of TKC's to see how they compare.
WIDGIN (When In Doubt, Gas It Now)
BRG 2005 955i R.I.P.

JetdocX

You will not be impressed with the wear you get out of the TKC's, but you will love them in the dirt.

They are pretty good on the road, too.
From parts unknown.

sanjoh

01 Tiger
00 XR650R
84 VF1K
05 R6

ridin gaijin

Thanks guys.

FWIW I've had 2 sets of Anakees and really liked them. The perspective on the Tourances is interesting; but they do cost less.

In general I expect much shorter life out of offroad tires (softer so's to be more grippy, no?) and realistically on-road riding will be 90% of my Tiger's immediate future. So I'm looking for a tire that's "mostly street but handles dirt without falling over very much." Could be the Anakees again.

TigerTrax

FYI...
I pulled 12,000 miles + on my Anakees  on a '06 Tiger.
\'Life\'s A Journey ..... Don\'t Miss A Turn\'

JetdocX

You ran them until you could see the air inside? :shock:
From parts unknown.

Patrick the Scot

Mike, call me on my cell or email me at my work email.  

I am changing out my rear tire tomorrow to a spankin new Anakee.  I am taking off a two-year old 150-70-17 Anakee that only has 2500-3000 miles on it.  I am going through ABQ on 5-18-08, and you can have it if you want.  It is in perfect shape, it is just that the local Yamaha shop (who is looking at buying the Triumph dealership, btw) has SMOKIN' deals on tires right now.  I'm getting a new rear Anakee, installed, for $126 plus tax! Too good a deal to pass up.
"As far back as I can remember... I always wanted to be a gangster" - Good Fellas

Texas Tech Red Raiders - 2008 BIG IIX NCAAF CHAMPS

fano

Way to go Patrick.   :thumbsup

ridin gaijin

Quote from: "Patrick the Scot"Mike, call me on my cell or email me at my work email.  

Hey man. Called you on Friday, left a msg...I'm psyched about the chance to meet you! Are you able to spend any time here, or just passing through? I assume you're driving, so on business...?

Patrick the Scot

Quote from: "ridin gaijin"or just passing through? I assume you're driving, so on business...?

Passing through ABQ on the Saturday, 17th May, on a seven day run on the Tiger!

I got the rear tire swapped and it is ready for your bike.  Call you soon.
"As far back as I can remember... I always wanted to be a gangster" - Good Fellas

Texas Tech Red Raiders - 2008 BIG IIX NCAAF CHAMPS

ridin gaijin

Aw, man, awesome, Can't wait. After all these years--!