News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

FAQ type questions

Started by jawad, May 01, 2008, 09:04:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jawad

Greetings all happy riders,

I am new here.  Is there a forum FAQ?  The one I see is only about the forum software.  

I got myself a pristine 98 Steamer with a Truimph-Givi top case and giant engine guards.  The previous owner put 3K in 10 years.  I have put another 2k in about 4 weeks.    Mostly running around in San Francisco, and N Cal twisties, and a tiny bit of dirt.

I love everything about this machine.  My minor complaints are:  Front end dips a lot when I use the front brake.  Giant Cartoonish Tiger graphics.

My newbie FAQ-type questions are.
Is there a shop manual that people prefer?
Here is one that I have found so far
http://www.themotorbookstore.com/trium19.html

How do I adjust the idle on this? I guess I will wait for the shop manual.  The owner's manual sucks.

Are there side hard bags that I can buy off the shelf somewhere?  (or are used or modified ones my only choices?)

Thanks.  Be safe.

aeronca

thats the book i've got - works pretty good for me. you can tweeeeeek the idle via a small adjuster located just below the petcock. if you look you'll see it and you can dial it up or down. not too much though.  sounds like a nice bike - things to look out for are coils. if they crap out, get the nology replacements and you'll be happy(ask me how i know). never ever try starting it with a low battery or you will expierience a pain in your wallet like never before(sprauge clutch). other than that there really great bikes,  welcome aboard.
Steamers Rule!!!
It's Tire, not Tyre

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!

JetdocX

Welcome!  There are good and really ultra-stupid design issues with this one, but it all adds up to the character of the machine.  The owners are pretty laid back and happy to help.

I'd recommend the Triumph shop manual as it is very good, IMO.

Before you go screwing with the idle speed make sure you have the idle mixture set correctly and the carbs synched.

How many miles on the bike?  5,000 only?  Wow!

There is no maintenance and mod FAQ per se, but the forum search function works very well on this site, plus the kids play nice here if you ask dumb questions.

There is no real trick to doing the 6000 mile service, but be aware of a few things.  All the rubber on your bike is probably ten years old.  Your coolant is probably original and your brake fluid will look like green slime if it's never been changed before.  Triumph sells a tool for changing shims, but an inmate here makes a mo' bettah one, is that you, Nightrunner?  Sorry, I can't remember.  If you have been doing much dirt riding, your air filter is probably clogged.  The air filter is one of those "WTF were they thinking?" items I mentioned earlier.  I have a fix, I think, as soon as my two-stage angled Uni-filters come in from Texas.  

The stock suspension is shit.  Look into a heavier spring for the forks and possibly aftermarket rear shock or Sasquatch can rebuild yours, spring and valve it to fit your riding style.

Welcome.  Hope to see you around the hills here.

What color?
From parts unknown.

nightrunner

Welcome.  Nope, not me with the valve tool, but it sounds interesting.

First let me say that this is best Tiger forum going; especially for the steamer.  Having said that, one of the Yahoo groups has, or used to have, a FAQ file.  You can also go to Advrider and search for the Tiger threads in the Beasts forum.  Seems like there have been several threads where one or more of us has posted lists of steamer issues to know.   And you'll see a lot of familiar screen names.

On your front end dive, note that Racetech makes cartridge emulators for the Tiger.  Fresh oil might help too, and you could go from 10 to 15 wt oil.

You can have the shop install a new air flter box for you, or you can take it apart yourself and clean the old one.  If you do, put a thin coat of  wheel bearing grease or vaseline on the rubber boots in and out of the carbs.  Carb removal willl be a snap after that.  First time's a bitch though.  The airbox slides straight back to give you just enough room to wrestle the carbs out.  Then you can take the airbox out.

Congrats on the new bike.  Most steamer owners get addicted.
Scott

Seeking adventure and peril

MontanaBBQ

Mustang is the one for the shim tool.  Here's  a link I found in another post:

http://www.geocities.com/mustanggarage/shim_tool.html

I've used the Triumph factory service manual for years - it has been a great help.  I'm not much of a mechanic, but the book (and some great info from the forum) has guided me through it all.  It was pretty spendy - maybe $75.00 from Baxter Cycle in IA.

Enjoy the new steamer - everyone does!

Doug B.
Billings, MT, USA

Mustang

you won't have to touch the valves on the beast until around 20 k for mileage , when it starts to spit and backfire , you got tight intakes ! :shock:

JetdocX

Quote from: "Mustang"you won't have to touch the valves on the beast until around 20 k for mileage , when it starts to spit and backfire , you got tight intakes ! :shock:

Unless you ride like Cos. :twisted:

I had to change 10 shims at 28,000 miles.   Some went more than two sizes.  I don't think the clearances were checked until then on mine. :wink:
From parts unknown.

Mustang

I'm afraid to check mine again ! :shock:  #1 cyl. is taking a pounding and there are only 3 sizes of shim left before it's time for a valve seat job and new valves  :cry:

Mustang

Quote from: "nightrunner"Welcome.  Nope, not me with the valve tool, but it sounds interesting.

First let me say that this is best Tiger forum going; especially for the steamer.  
On your front end dive, note that Racetech makes cartridge emulators for the Tiger.  Fresh oil might help too, and you could go from 10 to 15 wt oil.

You can have the shop install a new air flter box for you, or you can take it apart yourself and clean the old one.  If you do, put a thin coat of  wheel bearing grease or vaseline on the rubber boots in and out of the carbs.  Carb removal willl be a snap after that.  First time's a bitch though.  The airbox slides straight back to give you just enough room to wrestle the carbs out.  Then you can take the airbox out.

Congrats on the new bike.  Most steamer owners get addicted.

+1 on this site is best !

15 wt oil will help greatly as well as adding some spacers about an inch thick on top of the springs to give some preload . but you will still get some dive , it has long legs , you'll get used to it ! :D

They are bullet proof !
             STEAMERS RULE ![/size]