News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Road Trip Prep

Started by cbxtc6, May 05, 2008, 08:13:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cbxtc6

Hey all,
  Started getting my '06 ready for the long haul next month.  I'm planning on taking the 'girl to the Yukon, and Alaska - I figure ~12,000 miles total.  She's already got 16k on the clock.  So far:

GPS, Throttlemeister,  and tankbag mounted!

Cheap-ass radiator covers and highway foot rests:

I even started throwing some basics into the trunk; fishing kit, first aid, tools, fuel bottle, etc.

I'm toying with the idea of NOT taking the panniers, as I THINK I can get away with everything in my tankbag, topcase, and on the back seat.  Simple and lighter is better, no?

Any ides, tips, suggestions will be welcome!  Departing N. Illinois June 17th.  See y'all on the road!!

ridin gaijin

FWIW I'd go the opposite way--do fit the panniers and skip the top box and whatnot. It'll keep your center of gravity more reasonably squat, and those panniers may help protect you in the event of a get-off.
2005 Tiger in Lucifurry Orange. Always something new it seems...

fano

Quote from: "ridin gaijin"FWIW I'd go the opposite way--do fit the panniers and skip the top box and whatnot. It'll keep your center of gravity more reasonably squat, and those panniers may help protect you in the event of a get-off.

+1 what he said

eldiii

My right pannier is my tool box; tool rool w/ hex & box wrenches for all nuts/screws, one adjustable wrench, tire repair kit (for tubeless), rags, superglue/duct tape (you never know) wind screen cleaner (bug off?) and chain lube.

The other pannier is for general storage as my top box holds my heavy riding jacket (when I'm not wearing it), liner, long johns, etc.

I also have a an over sized tank bag for the things I want to have at arms reach (flashlight, energy food, etc.  Currently I have it wired for XM Radio, cell phone, Starcom 1.

Go test ride a Buell and get a free Camel Back as fresh water on long trips is a must.  

When I go to Ride-In's I usually camp and using a surplus parachute bag, pack a sleeping bag, shave kit, inflatable mat, small cook stove and a tent.

I'm not sure if your camping but this has worked for me.

eldiii

paulie

i guess i dont have many tips, other than the standards.. don't make any setup changes on the bike right before, and load up the bike a few times with the gear you plan on taking, so that you can get the packing method down.. there's usually space that can be saved in there SOMEWHERE..

i'm planning my first long distance tour of the northern rockies and pacific northwest for this summer, so i'll be watching this one ;)

i plan on taking some weekend camping runs beforehand to get my procedure and packing setup in order.
Current Bike: 2005 Tiger in Silver.
Former Bike (also my first): 1980 KZ650

cbxtc6

Any thoughts on bike spares?  I think I'll bring a set of rear pads, since I'll be in a lot of gravel/dirt, and maybe some rear wheel bearing seals.  Clutch cable?  Anything else?  I mean, zip ties and duct tape only go so far...
There are a few (like 2!) Triumph dealers enroute, and one in Anchorage, so it's possible to get some items along the way.  

But, of course, I'm trusting the Triumph to make it worry free!

8)

John Stenhouse

If your doing the Dalton etc. maybe a fork seal or two.
See stretchs trip on the wee strom
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

Stretch

snakebasket

I did the Dalton on  my 05 Tiger last year. It was hard on brake pads, fortunately I had spares, as tje gravel just seemed to eat them. Also took spare clutch cable (that way it won't be needed) , fuses, zip ties , gaffa tape and tyre inflator/repair.  I fitted bash plate , engine barsm fender extenders. The Tiger performed just great. Have a great trip

snakebasket

Also, fit headlamp protectors or tape them up, the trucks just throw loads of crap up at you.

Stretch

Bro, if you're doing gravel roads in Alaska and Canada, PLEASE put a proper bash plate on your bike.  Some of the rocks on those roads are huge.  I lost count of the number of times I heard that loud *CLANG!* coming from the Strom's skidplate.  The cases, exhaust, and oil cooler would have been toast without one.

Your Tigger will love you for it.

hupomatic

I have nothing to add other than have a great trip! Ride safe.

FullMonte

+1 on the skidplate and the Camelback.  I just got back from a 4500 mile 11 day trip out west on my Tiger last night.  I bottomed it twice in Valley of the Gods on the whoops (going too fast, oops :wink: )and the Camelback keeps you hydrated.

cbxtc6

I'm working on a bash plate.  Since I have the Triumph centerstand, what are my options again?
Yes, I have a camelback in my tankbag, so I can keep hydrated after those long Northern nights by the fire  :friday
I've alse become a sheepskin buttpad believer.  

Thanks for all the tips guys!  I'm STOKED!!

snakebasket

I fitted a modified early style KLR bashplate, nowhere near as good as a Touratech etc, but £5 off ebay and with a bit of work can be fitted using the original Triumph fittings, even with a centre stand.

I too would like a sheepsking buttpad!