News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Steamer Gear Change Lever REFURB/ UPGRADE

Started by Mustang, May 12, 2008, 12:56:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mustang

Ok any of you who own a steamer know how sloppy the gearchange lever becomes over time .
There are two roads you can take
1. New Lever from triumph is $95 and the mating linkage lever for the shaft is 45 bucks  hhhmmmmm.....$140 bucks and it wont totally fix the issue .

Road # 2  . Ding Ding we have a winner  *****
1st remove the pedal from bike

drill out the riveted on rod linkage to the pedal , toss the linkage in the trash . I also determined in my untrained mind that the pedal arm is too damn heavy which is what causes the rivet joints to loosen over time , so I drilled a few holes

New coat of black laquer

Install new rod end linkage from McMaster Carr , p/n 6275K53
I didn't need a new bushing but for 5 bucks you can get one from triumph and press it in . While I was this far into it I made a new knurled aluminum spring loaded folding tip ala Honda dirtbike style .

You can fix the sloppy linkage the same way on the shifter shaft by ordering a lh threaded version of above rod end
Total with 2 rod ends and 1 bushing from triumph $25 . nice and tight and fully rebuildable for next time  by just replacing the rod ends .
****Note the rod end hanging down not hooked to anything goes to my forward control shifter .*****

Stretch

Sweeeeeet!

I'd like to see pics of your forward controls also.

Mustang

next time I go out in garage will take more photos .
WooHoo looking closer at the pics my tigger is a dirty little girl aint she . Obvious I haven't cleaned her up since returning from my little ride .

Next installment will be how to save a fortune on headstock bearings . yep tigger needs em bad .

Stretch

How'd your trip go?  I can't seem to find your Ride Report.

Hint, hint.  Nudge, nudge.  Wink, wink.  Say no more.  :mrgreen:

Mustang

You are not the only lazy bastard around here  :ImaPoser
Trip went great
Tigger didn't use a spot of oil in 7500 miles , ran like a charm and only threatened to toss it's chain in LA if I didn't repair it right then and now !
The Maxxiss Presas I stuck on for this trip won't be considered for the long haul again , back one was shot to hell in Wyoming after 5000 miles and I taught it a lesson and rode it all the way back to NH it looks almost like a slick with a big flat spot across the center . 1 Day of rain out of 18  the weather gods were on my side .
Jack Frost could have left me alone though going thru the rockies in Utah and Wyoming .

I will post a report soon though , ***cough cough *** :shock:  :wink:

Stretch

Glad to hear it went well.

And thanks for posting your How-To's.

JetdocX

You da man mustang.  Can I send my tigger to live with you for a few months??? 8)

My silly .02, this should be in the steamer forum (tech discussion, etc) and the prior mirror repair as well?  I never look here for maintenance and modifications help.
From parts unknown.

Stretch

Quote from: "JetdocX"My silly .02, this should be in the steamer forum (tech discussion, etc) and the prior mirror repair as well?  I never look here for maintenance and modifications help.

ETA:  You are correct, this write-up is of a repair of a Steamer-specific part, and should therefore belong in Steamer Tech.

The mirror repair specifically?  Eh... that repair really can apply to nearly any bike, so even though that specific mirror does exist on a Steamer, the thread itself can be placed in Farkles, as it's a modification...?

After a couple conversations with Abruzzi, we decided that the Tech forums really weren't all we wanted them to be, so I started trying to get things organized by moving mods, farkles, and other shiney bits into their proper place.  

In truth,  most modifications ought to be posted in Farkles, but for some reason they rarely are.  But once things get a bit more organized and the pattern becomes recognizable, research and posting ought to go quite smoothly...

We'd like to see the Tech forums become more of an illustrated 'Hall of Wisdom', with How-To threads about valve adjustment, changing and balancing tires, suspension tuning, and the like.

We're just trying to get the place a bit more organized, and we have to draw the lines somewhere.  You know how it is.

JetdocX

I would call this a fix for a common issue.  It's not stock but it looks to my like it works better than stock.  I just don't think to look here for specific Steamer related fixes because by going to the Tech forum, I supoosedly don't have to wade through all the girly and roady stuff to get to what I want.  And there is a fair amount of girly related fixes, that are now also here?

Not user friendly for me but it's not my website, so I'll STFU.

And not looking to get into a flame war over anything like this, just registering my disagreement and my .02.

Edit:  And the girlies have a solid 1 piece shift lever, right?  Unfortunately the roadies have gone to a steamer-looking arrangement, so this may work for them and if so, my point is now moot.  Sorry.
From parts unknown.

Stretch

Quote from: "JetdocX"I would call this a fix for a common issue.  It's not stock but it looks to my like it works better than stock.  

ETA: I agree that this (the shifter repair) is a Steamer-specific repair, and ought to be in Steamer Tech.  Point taken, and I shall move this thread there.

QuoteI just don't think to look here for specific Steamer related fixes because by going to the Tech forum, I supoosedly don't have to wade through all the girly and roady stuff to get to what I want.  And there is a fair amount of girly related fixes, that are now also here?

Regular repairs and maintenance threads are in the bike-specific Tech forums where they belong.  I started on this project because within each Tech forum, there were so many threads about luggage, screens, and skidplates mixed in with repair and maintenance threads, that a fellow had to sift through a lot of unorganized topics to find what he was looking for.

All I'm trying to do is separate the mods and Farkles from the true Technical threads, and put each in their proper place.

QuoteNot user friendly for me but it's not my website, so I'll STFU.

It's not what we're used to yet, but in getting things better organized here, it should make things easier to find.  Honestly, I'm not doing any of this to make the site hard to use.  My goal is the exact opposite.  

It's not my site either, and your comments are always welcome.  As you can see from my moving this thread, your input is valued.

JetdocX

Thanks, Stretch.  I agree about the bags, skidplates and other generic bike stuff belonging in one place.

This troublemaker signing off, now. :lol:
From parts unknown.

Stretch

No sweat.  Thanks for your help.

Mustang

I agree with jetdocX most of the stuff for steamers is not usually very Girly applicable. I'm bad for posting where I did , I just got all giddy like a girl with a new forum room . :bowdown I'll do better next time promise .
jetdocXYour steamer can come out here to play anytime you want and we could pimp her out in a day , like extreme makeover :friday

JetdocX

Quote from: "Mustang"jetdocXYour steamer can come out here to play anytime you want and we could pimp her out in a day , like extreme makeover :friday

Bitch needs to learn some respect......that's all I'm sayin'. :lol:
From parts unknown.

CrazyTed

I'd like some more information on the shifter tip you installed.  Mine has had it.  All the shifter tips I find are the ones that bolt from the top.  Where did you find one that would bolt to the horizontal hole in the Tiger shifter?
CrazyTed
Va Beach, VA
97 Tiger 885 Chili Pepper Red
06 KTM 450 EXC