News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Girly Headlight Bulb Replacement

Started by Stretch, May 14, 2008, 12:55:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eatalotapeaches

Quote from: "Tigger_rider"Hi All   Thought I would throw in a little mod I did the last time I changed bulbs. I was tired of trying to adjust headlights with the plastic off so I removed the 2 adjusting screws from each light assembly and silver soldered a 7 inch section of a heavy duty drain snake flex from home depot onto the bolts and a 1/4" screwdriver bit onto the other end. A trip to the hardware store got me new quick nuts? (the push on washers you have to break to remove the bolts from the light assemblies). Now to adjust the lights when I load all the touring junk on back I just have to take a screwdriver to the ends of the cables that are just under the triple clamp. I put clear plastic tube over the flex so nothing would chafe. Works great and ends the adjusting hassle.   OLY

This sounds like a great idea.  Got any pics?  I'm not seeing it in my head just yet.
2003 955i Tiger, Lucifer Orange 50k

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: "Tigger_rider"silver soldered a 7 inch section of a heavy duty drain snake flex from home depot onto the bolts and a 1/4" screwdriver bit onto the other end.

I think I saw a note about that mod on the Yahoo lists, guess it was you. Sensible mod, any pics?
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Nimrod11

Do all Girlies have both H4 bulbs? Mine has one side that is high beam only. The other is both high and low beam. I think this varies, or not?

Any recommendations on bulbs?
----------
Tiger 2004

Mustang

Quote from: "Nimrod11"Do all Girlies have both H4 bulbs? Mine has one side that is high beam only. The other is both high and low beam. I think this varies, or not?

Any recommendations on bulbs?

USA models have both low beams on and both high beams come on when switched to high beam

other markets have one low beam depends on what country the bike was first imported to

Nimrod11

Mustang,

I think my bike is a lot like the ones sent to Germany - one clue is that the service manual is in German  :)

I know one light is low and high beam and the other is high only. When in low beam, only one side is on.

You can see it here
----------
Tiger 2004

Nimrod11

So, anyone know what bulbs I need?
----------
Tiger 2004

Timbox2

Quote from: "Nimrod11"So, anyone know what bulbs I need?

The standard bulb is a regular H4 Lucas 472.
2016 Tiger Sport

Nimrod11

----------
Tiger 2004

HockleyBoy

05 Tiger Lucifer Orange (resting) 07 GSX-R1000TT K7 71 Triumph T25T 17 Tiger 1050 Sport

moose

I have an H4 55/60 (dual filament) in the dip side and the full beam side has an H4 single filament (spelling)

KuzzinKenny

Quote from: "moose"I have an H4 55/60 (dual filament) in the dip side and the full beam side has an H4 single filament (spelling)

you either have a standard bike with no relay upgrade or yer bulb is duff  :roll:

http://www.tigertriple.com/forum/viewto ... ght=relays

fitting an extra relay gives ya both low and high beams !!

KK
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly

KuzzinKenny

Quote from: "Nimrod11"So, anyone know what bulbs I need?

as said above !! they`re both H4 !! while yer in there why not get xenon bulbs !! a bit more $$££ but worth it for the extra light for the same wattage !!

http://www.osram.com/osram_com/Professi ... index.html

there are other makes of this type of bulb !!

KK
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly

moose

Quoteyou either have a standard bike with no relay upgrade or yer bulb is duff

I have no relay upgrade, the reason being is the mainbeam side lens has no pattern to dip the light to the left.  They are both different lenses, one with pattern (main and dip) and one without pattern Main only.

Nimrod11

Quote from: "KuzzinKenny"while yer in there why not get xenon bulbs !! a bit more $$££ but worth it for the extra light for the same wattage !!

Thanks for the info and tips, KK.

I did plan to go for a xenon but am still unsure what is what. It seems to me there are "xenon like" bulbs out there, costing something like $10 to $20, but other, usually with a reactor or ballast, go for as much as $500!

Are the simple bulb replacements, no wiring involved, an effective solution? When you say "more $$$$", how much do you mean?
----------
Tiger 2004

jphish

Havent had the Tiger long enough to comment about their H-4 bulbs. But -  my experience with the Uly H7s is: the MORE $... the LESS life. Sylvania Ultras or Silverstars give me about 3-5k mi @ $50 a set. The cheaper standard bulbs last 2-3x as long and are half the price. I dont ride at night much - too many animals & crazy people trying to kill ya. So 25% more light from the Ultras doesnt matter much in my case. j