News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Neduro's Tire-Changing Class

Started by Stretch, May 19, 2008, 05:50:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coachgeo

Quote from: "Rocinante"Or don´t use anything at all, except tyre irons and brute force. I...
They are just using brute force differently.

How about this.  Brute force applied by a ratchet strap around tire thru spokes. Chunk??of wood or tall socket orr is pressed into bead?  Might need something on the other side too?  but basically idea is tightening the strap forces the object to push the bead downward.

I don't know if the strap putting pressure on other parts of tire will resist the shape change of tire and not allow the bead to break

This is untested idea
COACH POSER (Till Tribota Tiger's done & I'm riding it)

Hemibee

Quote from: "Rocinante"Point is, at least for those that take the bike to odd places, how do you do a roadside puncture fix if you need all those tools?

Dag

I agree with you but there is still a few pointers in the videos that help with repairs made on the road or in the boonie's such as placing the tube on first instead of after you have the first side of the tire on.  This can also be done when repairing a pucture in the tube, don't remove it completely from the wheel, leave the valve stem in place to assist in reinstalling the tube.  My hardest part of repairing tires on our race bikes has always been getting the valve stem back in without having to fight the stiff sidewalls.

My point being, there is always little tricks others use that can help you, regardless of the system they use to repair flats or change tires, but  YMMV.
2004 KTM 450 EXC
2001 Triumph Tiger (Gone)
2013 Triumph Tiger 800XC

"Male menopause is a lot more fun than female menopause. With female menopause you gain weight and get hot flashes. Male menopause - you get to date young girls and drive motorcycles."  John Wayne

Rocinante

Quote from: "Hemibee"I agree with you but there is still a few pointers in the videos that help with repairs made on the road or in the boonie's such as placing the tube on first instead of after you have the first side of the tire on.  This can also be done when repairing a pucture in the tube, don't remove it completely from the wheel, leave the valve stem in place to assist in reinstalling the tube.  My hardest part of repairing tires on our race bikes has always been getting the valve stem back in without having to fight the stiff sidewalls.

My point being, there is always little tricks others use that can help you, regardless of the system they use to repair flats or change tires, but  YMMV.

Absolutely, and I didn´t mean to dismiss everything in the videos, I was merely refering to the big tools that were suggested. If you instead do the repair at home without big tools, you´re better prepared if and when it happens in the rough.

Maybe I´m a bit big mouthed about this. Come to think of it I had been a biker for ten years before I removed a tyre for the first time. And I did it simply because I had to, since we were far from any help.

I agree with you about the valve stem. It´s a pain i the ass, and if you can locate the puncture and only pull the necessary part of the tube, the job is so much easier to do.

Dag
www.dagjen.no
Once upon a time through North and South America:
www.rocinantestravels.com