News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Valve Job Needed

Started by JetdocX, May 21, 2008, 08:04:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JetdocX

My intake valves are beating themselves into the head.  I'm down to zero clearance on five intake valves after only 5000 miles. :evil:

My options?  I know some of you can't manage to kill your engines, but I seem to be doing a bang up job.  

I never see 885 engines for sale here or on Fleabay.

We will know more once the head is removed and disassembled.  

Looks like I need a spare bike now. :evil:
From parts unknown.

Mustang

:shock: you aint done yet unless your shims are down to 2.0's and even then you can still fudge a little bit and have the 2.0's ground down on a surface grinder at a machine shop to gain a couple more thousand's
you should be able to get at least 1 more adjustment out of it .

Then you will need to keep it out of the 6k range on all day rides  :D
start saving your money for 6 new intake valves  and springs and then get the seats in the head cleaned up and you will be good to go for another shitload of miles .
Also keep in mind when searching flea bay that the 885 steamer engine shares the same head with the first generation speed triple and the sprint and the trophy , only the cams are different on the 4 models !
Also check with BAXTER CYCLE in Marne Iowa he may have a head
http://www.baxtercycle.com/

JetdocX

It only took 5000 miles for those valves to go to zero clearance.  I'll just suck it up and buy new valves and get it done now.
From parts unknown.

Mustang

Quote from: "JetdocX"It only took 5000 miles for those valves to go to zero clearance.  I'll just suck it up and buy new valves and get it done now.

good man ! the intakes run about 45 bucks apiece from the stealer ....oops I mean dealer

seriously though check with Baxters they may have a complete head ready to drop on .they get salvage bikes sometimes

JetdocX

Just spent $900 on parts for the head. :shock:

This bike shall heretofore be referrenced as , "The Money Pit". :evil:
From parts unknown.

Mustang

mines been a bit of a pit this year too !.............but they are ten years old now so to keep em going   :5moped they need tlc and some new bits now and then  !

JetdocX

I think the valves should last longer than 32,000 miles.

I don't need an economist to tell me these valves are in recession.  Exhaust valves to the left and intake on the right.  

See those shiny rings on the intakes?  Thats where they have been receding into the seats in the head.

Nice! :evil:
Four way custom valve grind, baby!

I'll post some pictures of new valves for comparison when I get them next week.

I think I could have gotten a cheaper head-job a few miles east of here and my bunger would not have hurt so much afterwards. :evil:
From parts unknown.

Cos

I'd make fun of you, but after bike night i gotta come up with some new ones.  :lol:

I'll let you know when i get the new shock so you can laugh right back at me.

JetdocX

Cos, you should sell that Girly and just buy a scooter. :P
From parts unknown.

Cos

I can't, we're all sold out.  :lol:

Iain

WOW.

If I was you I would take a serious look at your cylinder honing. Valves should NEVER wear that fast unless you have a major air filter not working/dust issue (that is why you would check your cylinder walls) or you just got a bad batch of valves (unlikely since they all appear to have worn the same).

There has to be a reason...

JetdocX

Hey, I named my son Ian.  Just forgot to spell it correctly we found out later.... :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Cylinder walls are perfect.  I can still see the crosshatching and no scoring at all.  My money is on a bad batch of valves.

The air filter is a joke, for sure, so I'm adding some foam Uni-Filters upstream of the snorkle for added protection. :wink:
From parts unknown.

Iain

Sounds like you looked into it well enough. That is a pretty damn impressive grind, the valve seats are probably in great shape still if the valves were that soft. Too bad you can't just have the new valves ground to match... :roll:

PS- Two I's are better than one, and I for an I... (that's probably enough of that)

JetdocX

Well, it's done.  Took the Steamah for a 180 mile ride today and she seems like her old self (minus the receeding valves, I hope).

I hope this is it for unforseen problems.   :roll:

Thanks, Truimph USA for taking almost a month to get the parts to me.  Assclowns! :roll:
From parts unknown.

BR

JetDocx,
I'm curious.. with all new valves going in, what prep work did you have done on valve seats in the head?  Light re-grind or lap the new valves in?
Nice pics of your worn valves.... The early Kaw Concours had the same issue with a bad batch of valves. If I recall correctly, they would "tulip" and sink into the heads, reducing valve clearance just as yours did.
Regards,

Brendan
'98 BRG Tiger