News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Bumpy Anakee's

Started by HappyMan, May 30, 2008, 02:18:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HappyMan

I've got a new set of Anakee's for my Tiger in the garage but I've got a trip this weekend and I don't have time to change out the tires before I go.  As my front tire has worn it has developed bumps in the tread pattern.  I've still got enough tread left that I don't mind taking the trip on them but I thought I'd ask if this has happened to anyone else.  Is this normal for the front Anakee to develop bumps as it wears?  It's in a regular pattern around the entire tire so it doesn't give me the feeling that it's a buldge ready to blow.  They have a little over 6000 miles on them.
Life is hard.  It\'s even harder if you\'re stupid. - John Wayne

Life\'s too short......Let\'s ride! - HappyMan

http://ridedualsport.com

HockleyBoy

I am on my second set of Anakees and cant say I have noticed anything like that, got 12k out of my last set and am up to 6k on the replacements. The only problem I get is the usual flat spot from too many motorway miles.
05 Tiger Lucifer Orange (resting) 07 GSX-R1000TT K7 71 Triumph T25T 17 Tiger 1050 Sport

littlefield

Sounds like cupping. An undesirable but not uncommon condition caused by flexing of the tire under load. It can cause the tire to shake, not track properly, be squirrelly, etc. If it's not exhibiting bad behaviour and there's tread enough tread left it should be okay.

goosen2002

Quote from: "HappyMan"As my front tire has worn it has developed bumps in the tread pattern.  I've still got enough tread left that I don't mind taking the trip on them but I thought I'd ask if this has happened to anyone else.  .

If you are talking about the cupping, it seems to happen often enough, BUT I had these areas in the treads that looked like worms. I had also put quite a few miles on it, although I can't remember how many. I asked my Triumph dealer about it when I was there and they had a look. There was some, hummming and haaaing but they said the wormy pattern looked a little strange. I had the tire replaced and they kept the old one to show to the Michelin distributer. The end result was a partial refund on the tire. The new one seems fine so far. I also read somewhere that people were getting air or something like that inside the layers of the tire. Maybe, that what it was.
Black 2002

cbxtc6

My original (front) Anakee on my '06 had the same thing on it when I changed it out - at 12k miles.  Weird.  I replaced it with the tried, and true Tourance.

HappyMan

Sounds like I should be fine.  These are round circles that are coming out of each little triangular pattern of the tire.  It's on both sides and on every triangle.  Looks like it's starting to grow knobbies.  I could definitely get a few thousand more miles on it but since I was changing out the rear I decided to replace the front since it seemed a bit unusual.  I intend to change them out to TKC's after my trip to Glacier.  Thanks.  I'll take any other input you've got but it seems like it will probably be fine for the six hundred miles or so I'll put on it this weekend.
Life is hard.  It\'s even harder if you\'re stupid. - John Wayne

Life\'s too short......Let\'s ride! - HappyMan

http://ridedualsport.com

Mustang

I've had dunlop's d604 , michelins t 66 , metzlers tourances , pirellis scorpions , and Maxxis Pesa detours on my steamer at one time or another and they all get funky wear after 5-6k it's the nature of the beast with the long legs and dual sport tires , heavy front brake use will really get some wierd wear going on . The good ol Tourance does the best though and it does the best with 40-42 psi in it .

Yukon

I've got about 7500 miles on my anakees and the front tire began to produce a significant amount of road noise around 5000 miles.  Performance is still very good.  Looks like I'll get another 2500 before I'll need to replace it.

wasions

Mine were cupped pretty badly at 13K, but I bumped up the pressure and rode.  Didn't lose any grip, still stayed with the ningbats in the curvies.  Just taking them off at 26,150 (miles).
Steve

Gear up!

<*}}}><

\'06 Tiger, \'99 DR350