News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Signal lights.

Started by Easy Tiger, June 02, 2008, 12:52:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Easy Tiger

So, my first question.

My signal lights seem to be intermitant(yes I know there supposed to be) but sometimes the switch works and sometimes not. Is this common? Any sollutions to this fault?
2002 Triumph Tiger 955i

Easy Tiger

Come on folks! Nobody out there has ever had this problem? Is it easy to remove the switch and clean the contacts?
2002 Triumph Tiger 955i

abruzzi

<joke>Did you know that Lucas invented the intermittent wipers?</joke>

Does the failure happen equally left or right, or is it one direction that it happens more?

Also, does jiggling, tapping, massaging the switch bring it to life? I'm just wonering if it's the switch or possibly the flasher relay.

Geof

Easy Tiger

It happens equaly on both sides. Hadn't thought of the relay. I thought maybe it'll be contacts in the switch. Can the switch be stripped down?

Cheers.
2002 Triumph Tiger 955i

paulie

yea i guess if it were me i'd rip it apart then decide nothing was wrong, but clean everything up anyway. then it will work.

at least, that's my SOP  :lol:
Current Bike: 2005 Tiger in Silver.
Former Bike (also my first): 1980 KZ650

Easy Tiger

OK folks, here's the latest. I took the assembly off the handlebars and gave it the best clean I could. The fault is still there, it doesn't seem to make any sense. There is no different physical feeling in the operation of the switch but it'll work then after turning the ignition off and trying again sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Very odd. I tried wiggling the harness but that made no difference, same with the plug. Do you have to buy the whole assembly or can you just get the switch?
2002 Triumph Tiger 955i

2004Tiger

Did you do any electrical tests on the switch when you had it out? If the contacts work, the problem could be in the flasher.
2004 Tiger. Black is beautiful. If I don\'t ride a little every day I get a little crazy.

TigerTrax

What manufaturer would have that kind of malfunction as a 'normal'
occurance? None.

My advice.
1. Get a service manual.  ( about $20 on ebay )
2. When it comes to electrical .... think SIMPLE.
    Catastrophic things only occur when something major happens...
    then a whole bunch of things happen at the same time.

Do a thorough check....
PS: Start at the bulb. Look for loose/corroded contacts/connections....
       yadda, yadda, yadda......

That's how most of us learn the Tigers
\'Life\'s A Journey ..... Don\'t Miss A Turn\'

Easy Tiger

Thanks guys. One dumb question, where is the flasher relay? Is it behind the instrument cluster?
2002 Triumph Tiger 955i

Silverstripes

Yep its behind the cluster, in the group with the twin light relays under the rubber boot thingy.

I think its the lower of all the relays.