News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Fork gaiters

Started by kev w, June 02, 2008, 11:08:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kev w

Hi All,
I wonder if someone can help me?
I have a fantastic '05 Tiger which is my first bike which I have owned for a year now since passing my test.
A few weeks back I found a 5 inch split down the back of one of the fork gaiters. Looking inside I could see water sitting on the fork seals so decided to loosen the clip on the other one to check that and found the same along with a very rusty seal clip. There are 'drain' holes in the gaiters but these obviously don't let out all of the moisture/rain water. I have now removed both of them one being no use any way with the split.
Anyway two questions.
Are they needed? most other bikes don't have them.
Would neoprene type covers be suitable as there are some that could be removed to dry/clean them?
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Kev
\'05 Tiger 955i
\'85 Honda XL600R

katoomon

Quote from: "kev w"Are they needed? most other bikes don't have them.
No, not needed, but you should peel the dust cover back occasionally and wipe out the grunge that will accumulate under it.  Use some sort of plastic tool for this, you don't want to scratch or score the male slider; it will then leak fork oil for the rest of its' life.
Quote from: "kev w"Would neoprene type covers be suitable as there are some that could be removed to dry/clean them?
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Kev
Most neoprene covers are designed for dirt bikes, think long travel, so you might be able to use 1 cut in half and have 2 spares from the set.  Many of these aftermarket covers have a velcro seam so you don't need to pull the fork leg to install.
05 Tiger, 04 KTM 625 SXC, 19 Beta 390

blacktiger

Personally I wouldn't run without the gaiters. They protect the fork legs from flying stones etc.  I've always fitted gaiters to my bikes over the years. Saves a lot of problems with the seals.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

kev w

Thanks for the replies.
I think I will go down the route of neoprene gaiters simply for the fact that as said they will protect from stone chips, etc. I must admit she (the bike) does look pretty good without the gaiters but maybe practicality should come first!!
Kev
\'05 Tiger 955i
\'85 Honda XL600R