News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

First successful ride on my Steamer

Started by Dr. Mordo, July 02, 2008, 07:57:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Mordo

Well, today it happened.  I test rode it and didn't have to turn around or push it the last quarter mile back to the house.  It took me 7 months to the day (to be fair, I was out of town two of those months, and another two I was waiting for a mechanic to rebuild the carbs - he finally ended up bailing on me, and then at least another 6 weeks was spent waiting on parts).  It still has a slight miss at idle, but nothing crazy.  It's certainly a work in progress - new chain/sprockets are in order as well as new intake rubbers.

Since I bought the bike I have done the sprag clutch (twice, if you recall my thread about said project), cleaned and rebuilt the carbs (with mucho help from y'all, particularly Mustang), put new tires on it, a new fuel petcock, new battery, and a bunch of little things.  Overall I've got $1900ish in it including a full 3pc set of Givi luggage.

Tomorrow, if it cranks in the morning, I am riding it to work for the first time.  I think I shall call it The Phoenix.  Maybe the Black Phoenix?  But I'm thinking of sanding and painting it, so it will likely be the Red Phoenix.
1999 BMW F650

1996 Tiger

aeronca

dude, she's a beauty, dont f@#$ with the paint. after all, the phoenix arose frome the ashes - so - black = ashes, plus it's cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D  and best of all, it's a steamer! i know what you went through, i rebuilt my carbs twice, two set's of ignighter's untill i listened to mustang and bought the nology, pluged tank vent, blown rear end, but all said and done, i love this bike. i crahed twice off road yesterday and never had more fun!(she's a bitch to pick up though). you got a nice bike man - now ride it like you stoled it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :headbang
Steamers Rule!!!
It's Tire, not Tyre

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!

Dr. Mordo

I forgot to mention that I replaced the coils with the Nologys as well, which certainly helped.

I'm thinking about painting it because it has some fairly significant rash from some previous owner dropping it repeatedly.  I may not paint it; I'm still "contemplating the ifs".
1999 BMW F650

1996 Tiger

JetdocX

Well done, Dr. Mordo!  Is it really running?  

Don't paint it, just ride like an idiot!  Scratches are street cred and people get out of your way, DAMHIK!

Enjoy it!  

I feel bad for your F650, though.  Hard to compete with a beast like this (when it's running :lol:  :lol:  :lol: ).
From parts unknown.

Mustang

:hello2  :wings  :thumbsup
you are going to fall in love !
Leave it black and scratched , gives it character  :ImaPoser

Mudhen

Congrats on sticking with it and getting her going.  Don't want to jinx you, but I bet you're out of the woods now...not much else left to do but ride her into the ground (that's just a figure of speech, don't actually lay it down or anything  :D )

And the work/time may have been painful, but at $1900 you've only got about a quarter of what I have into mine (including my fancy wolfman soft luggage :? ).  The only people with more are the dummies that bought them new!  (only kidding Mustang!)
\'96 Steamer

CBAT

Well done.  :occasion14   Now go forth and ride!  

nice box ;-)
Bruce

tigerrider

That's damn AWESOME!

Looks great in black, put band-aids on the scratches.

Mustang

Quote from: "Mudhen"the dummies that bought them new!  (only kidding Mustang!)
:shock:  :5huh
It's been nothing but :love10 since that first ride in July 95 and price didn't matter .

I just been grinnin  :hat10 longer than most is all

Mudhen

Quote from: "Mustang"
Quote from: "Mudhen"the dummies that bought them new!  (only kidding Mustang!)
:shock:  :5huh
It's been nothing but :love10 since that first ride in July 95 and price didn't matter .

I was just goofin'...I'm as smitten as anyone over this bike...
\'96 Steamer

cascadetiger

Great to see the Steamer up and running.  These bikes are unique and worth the hassle and money to fix up.

I had a CB 650 that I totaled, I was young and couldn't afford the insurance.  I scrapped up enough money over the winter and bought parts to get it back together.  I named it Phoenix too.  It was black by the way.

I wouldn't paint it either, you'll just worry about scratching up the new paint.

Mustang

Quote from: "Mudhen"I was just goofin'...I'm as smitten as anyone over this bike...
I know , but some of us (i am in that list) really are dummies !

Dr. Mordo

Well, it made it to work with no issues.  It does have a pretty good miss and it stumbles just a bit as I roll off idle.

But overall it is running real strong so far.

Thanks again for the help, and I look forward to seeing you guys on the road!
1999 BMW F650

1996 Tiger

nightrunner

Congrats man!  Yeah, you're gonna have fun with it.  Think of it this way.  Most of us learned the ins and outs of steamers as we went along.  You go the education all up front.  Good luck with it from here on out!

PS. Have you thought about a set of engine guards for it?  Definitely helps keep the scratches to a minimum.
Scott

Seeking adventure and peril

nightrunner

Quote from: "Mustang":shock:  :5huh

You bought a '95 new and still have it?    I bow to your wisdom and foresight.     Seems to me they only sold a couple hundred '95's in the US.     I remember the first time I ever saw a Tiger; in 96 at a shop somewhere in the SF bay area.     MSRP was $10,995 at the time IIRC.  I still have the brochure.    No way I could afford it then.     I still think they're best looking bike ever made.
Scott

Seeking adventure and peril