News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Help - Brake light works, but not running light!

Started by jmurguia, July 03, 2008, 06:54:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmurguia

Hello - please send any advice to a newbie with an '06...

SO, I just bought used camping equipment (tent, sleeping bag, pad, chair for $60!) and starting practicing packing my bike for a 6 day run to Yellowstone National Park & surrounding area in 2 weeks.

Then I realize my rear brake light does not stay on. The brake lights (both bulbs) illuminate when I brake with the rear and front levers, but no light when brake is not depressed.

So, I actuallly read the manual and do not think it's the fuse b/c my indicators and horn still function normally and these are tied into the same fuse.

I removed the brake lens to make sure the bulbs are secure (& they are) and to visually inspect them. Filaments in both bulbs appear to be intact...

Any ideas? Suggestions? I'm sure it's quick fix...

Thanks, Gracias, Mille Gratze,...
2006 Triumph Tiger - BEST BIKE I\'VE OWNED!

HockleyBoy

Probably a stupid question but are the bulbs the right way up?
05 Tiger Lucifer Orange (resting) 07 GSX-R1000TT K7 71 Triumph T25T 17 Tiger 1050 Sport

TigerTrax

Doesn't sound like a major issue... but do make certain the bulbs are properly inserted and secure . That means remove them and put them back in. They are 'keyed' so it is an easy ALIGN - PUSH-IN - TURN.

If you would have taken out another set of screws you could have seen the wires coming in and checked connections and run a voltage test.

PS: I use the 'tail running light wire' to operate a relay that controls a fused terminal strip for accessories.

Buy a service manual.
\'Life\'s A Journey ..... Don\'t Miss A Turn\'

jmurguia

Thanks for the replies...

I checked the wiring and all seems OK. I'll borrrow a volt meter and check for juice.

I pulled out both bulbs and reinserted them...

...still no running light. Break lights still function.

Any moresuggestions/ideas?

Worst case scenario, I'll swing by dealer. (Hate to so this b/c of $$$).

But, I also worked with a small "Mom & Pop" shop I trust.  Would they be familiar with Triumph Goodies?                                  Thanks, JCM
2006 Triumph Tiger - BEST BIKE I\'VE OWNED!

TigerTrax

Check your #10 fuse in the fuse box ( under seat ).

Power to your reare tail light comes thru Yellow wire off of fuse #10.
Then it goes to a connector plug and becomes a red wire that feeds both lights.

The tie in with the horn is the ground side.... If you have no power ... the ground is meaningless. Check  fuse #10. If it is not the fuse....
then you have a broken wire or bad connector. Get a multimeter.

Get a manual.
\'Life\'s A Journey ..... Don\'t Miss A Turn\'