News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Bad Head Gasket, 05 Tiger

Started by eldiii, July 16, 2008, 09:30:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eldiii

See my note 06/19/2009 in  955i oil consumtption

eldiii

mrazekan

Quote from: "Stretch"Vise-Grips didn't work.

I'm not experiencing any weeping at all, but after reading this thread a few months ago, I thought it would be a good idea to re-torque the head.

If it ain't broke.... :D

Did you just happen to be taking the valve cover off the bike and decided to give it a go?   :D

When I retorqued my head, the valve cap bolts were also on super tight.  While I did not snap a bit, I definitely twisted it.  It could be related to the bolts sticking or the heat cycling of the engine.  

The retorquingworked for me.

One note when retorquing; Follow the bolt removal sequence outlined in the manual.  When removing the first bolt, take it completely out, inspect and oil the threads, then retorque it to about 1/2 of the first stage torque value.  THEN move on to the next bolt and repeat.  This way you always keep some clamping force on the head so you don't have to worry about your liners.  Then proceed in the proper order and torque your head bolts in stages:

Manual:       15 ft*lb, 20 ft*lb, 90 deg
My Engine:  20 ft*lb, 25 ft*lb, 90 deg

Be well!
_h

TheMule

Kurgan,

Wow that bike is clean, I've spent hours on my '01 and still haven't come close to that.

"There can be only one"
Todd

2001 Roulette Green Tiger -

http://tigertriple.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5825

The Kurgan

Quote from: "TheMule"Kurgan,

Wow that bike is clean, I've spent hours on my '01 and still haven't come close to that.

"There can be only one"

Simple Green and some elbow grease. The stuff works wonders on everything from bug guts to road tar. Just be sure to wash it off quickly, as I hear it can leave permanent stains on exposed aluminum. I do a final rinse with Mr. Clean Auto Car Wash... to ensure there's no dried water droplets.  :lol:
[size=84]2005 Triumph Tiger 955i (BRG)
-- TOR Can & Tune
-- Dynojet O2 Sensor Bypass
-- Factory Gel Seat, Luggage & Liners
-- Bestem Topbox
-- Bagster Tank bag & Cover
-- R&G Crash Protectors
-- 55w Fog Lights[/size]