News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Help - broke down spewing fuel

Started by pit0rz, July 18, 2008, 10:41:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pit0rz

Just broke down a couple of hours from home.  the red plastic fitting on the side of the fuel pump is cracked and spewing fuel.  I'm currently in Westfield Mass and there doesn't seem to be a Triumph dealer anywhere close.  :cry:
Steve P.
'03 Tiger - Luci

Chris Canning

Quote from: "pit0rz"Just broke down a couple of hours from home.  the red plastic fitting on the side of the fuel pump is cracked and spewing fuel.  I'm currently in Westfield Mass and there doesn't seem to be a Triumph dealer anywhere close.  :cry:

Sounds like the dreaded female connector has broken off,and without the replacment,it a breakdown trunk i'm afraid

pit0rz

It's actually the male 90deg connector.  I had stopped for a break and noticed a very slow drip.  I was a couple hours from home and was going to just try and make it home.  Then the second time I stopped the drip was much worse.  I called an old riding buddy that I knew lived close by and made it to his house.  By the time I got there it was POURING out all over his driveay.  I had to disconnect the male fitting from the female to stop the flow of fuel.  The male piece is RED plastc.  More on this later...  So I sit there on his porch for 3 hours waiting for him to get home from work.  After many phone calls and Internet searching for a replacement part we finally conceded defeat and his wife loaned me her brand new KLR so I could get home.
This morning I hitched up the trailer to the truck, loaded up her KLR and headed back to Westfield.  Dropped off her bike and loaded up the Tiger for the trek home.

It's been a great 24 hours...
Steve P.
'03 Tiger - Luci

DobroDog

The original male fittings were a recall item; the plastic female fittings that attach to the tank are not a recall item. You can call Triumph USA and they can tell you if your bike had the recall work done. If it hasn't you can get if repaired for free. But that still leaves you with the plastic female connector that tends to break

I replaced mine this spring with a kit from TeamTriumph

http://www.rideteamtriumph.com/tiger.htm

Not a hard thing to do but be gentle removing the female fitting, they tend to break off leaving the threaded part in the tank.

Luck to Ya
DobroDog
DobroDog

pit0rz

Yup, going to replace with the all metal (female and male).  Triumphs database says my bike had the recall done.  Someone is full of shit.
Steve P.
'03 Tiger - Luci

pit0rz

Here's a pic of the culprit...
Steve P.
'03 Tiger - Luci

TuLane

PitOrz,

I have had my tank off of my 04' and the fittings on the hose side are definitely metal so I'm assuming the recall has been done.  I ordered the metal fitting kit from TeamTriumph this morning.

Im heading out Saturday for a 5-day trip on the Tiger.  I don't think the new parts will be here for me to change them out before I go.  Im going to chance it and hope the female tank side fittings don't break.

Have you heard of a lot of the plastic tank side fittings breaking too?

Jeff
TuLane
2004 Tiger
1968 Bonneville bobber

pit0rz

I haven't found any reports of the female portion cracking / breaking, just the male part.  I believe the Triumph recall only replaces the male part so this kind of makes sense.
Steve P.
'03 Tiger - Luci

DobroDog

QuoteHave you heard of a lot of the plastic tank side fittings breaking too?

TuLane

A number of us have had problems post recall with the female fittings. Triumph USA told me it was not part failure but human error that caused the problem. While removing and replacing the part, people bang the fittings against the frame or some other object

If your Tiger is not leaking now the chances of it failing on your trip would be low. Ride safe and enjoy
DobroDog

TuLane

Thanks all and sorry for the thread high jack.  Fuel fittings are good, new brass elbow on coolant overflow, coolant hoses rerouted, new fluids, tools, bottle of slime, and an electric air pump.  Should be good to go in the mechanical dept.

Ready for a High Desert tour.
TuLane
2004 Tiger
1968 Bonneville bobber