News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

1999 Tiger 885i - $3800 - Winston-Salem, NC

Started by DragonBreath, July 20, 2008, 06:50:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DragonBreath

Thanks to raindog to pointing me to this forum.  I'm a Tiger moron, which is a big part of the reason I am selling this bike.  I already have a KLR650, which is more my speed when it comes to doing my own maintenance and not stressing about keeping something nice looking and running that way.

I am offering a 1999 Tiger 885i for sale.  The bike has 33332 miles, which is certainly a lot of miles, but not unusual for a dedicated adventure tourer like this.  The bike is super clean with less nicks and scratches than one would expect on a 9 year old bike that has been used for it's intended purpose.  It has never been wrecked.  The only unusual mark is a small crack in the front fender where a wooden pallet fell on the bike when it was parked in a garage (picture below).

I'm selling the bike because I bought it a couple of days ago with that as my intended purpose.  I have a family member going through a divorce and they are having to liquidate some toys.  He gave me a good deal on this bike, so I figured I would take the deal and try to earn a few bucks on it.  I can't ride two bikes at once and this bike is not different enough from my 2007 KLR650 to warrant keeping both.

The PO gave me a very thorough stack of paperwork to document the maintenance history, most of which has been performed at dealer shops.  That is either a good thing or a bad thing, depending on your perspective.

Items of interest:
  • Triumph panniers with very trick release mechanism
  • Triumph centerstand
  • MRA windscreen (taller than stock & tinted)
  • New-ish tires - Trailwing on back & D607 on front (PO said the back has about 2K miles on it and he got 14K out of the last one - same tire)
Full disclosure:
  • Engine makes bit of a high-pitched whistle sound.  This may be normal, as I'm used to a thumper.  There are no codes on computer and the bike runs smooth as silk with good power.  UPDATE:  Since posting this ad, I've heard from two sources and read a third that this noise is normal and somewhat characteristic of a Triumph engine.  I guess this is one of the few sites where everyone already knew this piece of info, but I didn't.  Doh!
  • Normal nicks & scratches - all very minor (see pics)
  • Crack in front fender (about 3" long) - very fixable & does not affect performance at all (see pic)
  • OEM belly pan is missing (as far as I can tell, this is a decorative item and I think it looks better without)
  • Right side mirror is epoxied onto the stalk - both mirrors are 100% vibration free - like looking in the mirror in the bathroom
  • Triumph badge missing from right pannier
  • Euro-flash trigger and horn button not working currently - I plan to clean contacts tomorrow - will edit if I get fixed.  All other controls 100%

Blue book on the bike is as follows:
  • Trade-in = $3200
  • Retail = $4655

These figures do not account for the OEM panniers nor is there a place in the online tool to enter mileage.  I figure the panniers offset the higher mileage anyway.  As shown in the title of this thread, I am asking $3800.  I will entertain any reasonable offer.  Also, I will be as accommodating as possible as relates to delivery and/or shipping.  I've never shipped a bike, though, so I would need a lot of direction on that.

Here she is:

Hooligan

Is your bike still available?
Cheers
96 Steamer
07 KTM 950R SE
05 KTM 450 EXC
06 KTM 85 SX
09 KTM 105 SX

DragonBreath

The short is - probably not.  The longer answer involves a deposit from a remote buyer with no contact from that buyer for a few days.  I'm sending you a PM with more info, but don't mark this one closed quite yet.

Thanks,
Chris

DragonBreath