News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Fork Clatter

Started by Bixxer Bob, August 14, 2008, 10:49:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bixxer Bob

I know they all do it, but can someone remind me why?  It gets to be REALLLLLLY  annoying and I'd like to find a way to stop it. . . . .
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

The Kurgan

Call me insane... but I think its actually coming from the radiator fan. The fan has some play on its shaft. Test it, you might see that it makes the same clunking noise.
[size=84]2005 Triumph Tiger 955i (BRG)
-- TOR Can & Tune
-- Dynojet O2 Sensor Bypass
-- Factory Gel Seat, Luggage & Liners
-- Bestem Topbox
-- Bagster Tank bag & Cover
-- R&G Crash Protectors
-- 55w Fog Lights[/size]

tcbezza

I have the same noise and I think I agree with The Kurgan in that is does sound like it comes from the radiator fans. If I grab a hold of one fan and move it back and forth I get exactly the same noise.

Have you tried temporarily padding the fans (when it is cold) to stop them moving and see if it still does it ???
Trevor

800 Tiger Road
79 Guzzi V50
72 BSA A65
56 BSA B33

Silverstripes

15 w oil in the forks worked for me. It still does the clatter once in a blue moon.

The handling is much improved as well. I stayed with standard springs just replaced 10 w with 15 w oil.

Bixxer Bob

Thnaks fror the tips guys.  It's due a change of fork oil so I'll try going up to 15W
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

outrunner

Mine is due a 24k sevice soon so I think I will also go with the 15 w oil, does anyone know the exact amount of oil in each leg?

Andy.
Every day above ground is a good day!

Silverstripes

Outrunner

The fork oil is done more by measurment than volume. With the spring removed and the fork empty follow this process

Operate the fork several times to expel any air.

Fully compress the fork.

Top up with fresh oil to a level as follows:

Up to Vin 198874 = 107mm
From Vin 198874 = 146 mm

I did mine by setting a depth gauge on my vernier. You then measure from the fork tube top to the oil level and set as below. When you get close its only best to add small amounts, or else you will be looking to remove oil.

I found it easy to do.

Then decompress the fork, replace the spring and the top cap tighten to 30 nm.

Replace the forks on the yoke and tighten the clamps to 20 nm

To complete the job I purchased two bottles of fork oil as each leg will take around 720 cc of oil.

All make sense ???

Stretch

Quote from: "Silverstripes"15 w oil in the forks worked for me. It still does the clatter once in a blue moon.

The handling is much improved as well. I stayed with standard springs just replaced 10 w with 15 w oil.

Cool.  How much do you weigh?

Silverstripes

Stretch

96 kg and 6Ft 1in height

Not a Fat Ba---rd but heavy enough.

Stretch

That's about what I weigh... 211 pounds.

Thanks.

iansoady

Quote from: "Silverstripes"Outrunner

Up to Vin 198874 = 107mm
From Vin 198874 = 146 mm

And on mine, which happens to be VIN 198874?

Actually I do know the answer. :wink:
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

Silverstripes

Ian

Direct lift from the manual with the Vin listing.

You have the elusive Vin are there any other instances where this Vin threshold is an issue. :?:

NortonCharlie

If you have the cast wheel model the later spoked wheels the earlier
01 Dew Green 955i Tiger

02 Sprint RS

74 Norton 850 Commando

blacktiger

The answer to why is there a knock from the forks is........from 2005 model they fitted new forks which has an internal valve which is supposed to reduce the dive when on the brakes. It's that valve that clonks.....apparently.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

Bixxer Bob

In that case I'll be looking at how I can stop it when I change the fork oil.  If something's loose enough to clonk,  it should be possible to bush or shim it out somehow without affecting the action.  I'll have to tidy up the garage so that I can get to my lathe..... :roll: