News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Occasional stalling at idle and poor performance and fix

Started by NortonCharlie, August 21, 2008, 03:52:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NortonCharlie

My latest 01 Tiger seemed to be a little week and it would sometimes stall coming back to an idle.  I had the latest tune loaded which fixed a few things but not this.  I finally pulled the tank and air box and found a mouse had built a nest in the air box.  The filter element was still intact but soaked in urine and whatever, but at least not letting crud through.  A cleanup, new air filter and grommet around the idle motor and it is running like a champ.

Also, the fuel gage.  My old 01's fuel gage is great, linear and the fuel light would come on when the needle hit the bottom of the red with 1 gallon of fuel left.  The new 01, the only time I've seen the fuel light is shortly after filling the tank when the gage goes to zero for a bit then returns to full, sometimes cycling back and forth a couple times.  Then it seem about right till the needle hits the red, then it stops moving.  I have run the tank dry (push mode) without the light coming on.  Are these the symptoms telling me I need a new sending unit?
01 Dew Green 955i Tiger

02 Sprint RS

74 Norton 850 Commando

iansoady

Sounds like you have one of the defective sender units. These have a float made out of a white foam-like substance. The better ones have a float made of a harder, smooth grey plastic. After changing mine it has been fine.

But Charlie, aren't you the one who taught us all about fuel gauges in the first place?
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

NortonCharlie

Quote from: "iansoady"But Charlie, aren't you the one who taught us all about fuel gauges in the first place?

That is possible, I thought you were all a bunch of winers because my gage worked great.  I stand corrected.  I have a spare sending unit I was planning on putting in my RS, I guess the Tiger gets it instead.
01 Dew Green 955i Tiger

02 Sprint RS

74 Norton 850 Commando