News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Advice on 2005 Tiger

Started by crabtre, August 26, 2008, 03:45:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crabtre

I'm a potential new owner and have the option to buy a 2005 Lucifer Orange Tiger with just over 4K miles.  My current bike is a KLR650 and I've enjoyed it, but want to move up to something that is a little more geared to touring but still has some ability to handle a little dirt.

Question is, what is a reasonable price to pay in the states and what should I look for before I close the deal?  Anything specific to a 2005 Tiger that I need to know?  I've read on the forums about the fuel tank connections and the radiator coolant hose crossover issue.  Anything else?

I rode the bike last Friday and it runs great - very smooth, accelerates nicely, brakes smoothly with no shuddering, tires are in good shape, no obvious leaks or damage, paint and body is in good shape, heated grips included and working and the luggage is included (no top case) and is clean.

The only thing I can't figure out is that the paint on the speedometer needle hub (the little circle of metal that holds the speedo needle) is all cracked and looks flaky.  Silly thing to notice, but was trying to figure out if it might be indicative of anything.

I appreciate the help!  Thanks!

abruzzi

$5k is very good, $6k is still pretty good for a low mileage bike.  $7k would have to be absolutely pristine.

Geof

The Kurgan

I just came off a 2008 KLR650 in June. Bought a 2005 Tiger in late June with only 1400 kilometres on it. You won't be disappointed!

The speedo needle thing is a new one! I wouldn't be too concerned, unless it affects the operation of the gauge.

Issues that I've had are the following:

1. Rotted rear brake switch boot (some also have rotted mirror stem mount covers).  VERY COMMON
---> An easy fix for brake switch boot. I made my own plug and sealed into place with weather resistant adhesive-backed shrink tubing.

2. Head gasket leak (due to defective gasket, NOT blown gasket). Weeped (wicked) a very small quantity of coolant out of the water jacket on right side of the engine. Note: coolant does NOT go into oil. Only cosmetic. Affected a small batch of 2005 model Tigers. Apparently, Triumph sued the gasket manufacturer to recoup some of the loses due to warranty claims.
---> Triumph may cover under warranty -- enquire if necessary.

3. Huge desire to always ride the damn thing.
---> An easy fix. I ride it every free moment I have.  :lol:

btw... While they had the bike in for a head gasket swap... which I'm sure you won't need, I had them replace the plastic fuel connectors with the updated aluminum ones as a precaution. This was a Triumph recall. No charge.

The Tiger is better than the KLR in every regard, except of course, being a little less dirt worthy. This can be somewhat alleviated with dirt-focused tires and crash bars.  :D

Go for it, I know you want to.  8)
[size=84]2005 Triumph Tiger 955i (BRG)
-- TOR Can & Tune
-- Dynojet O2 Sensor Bypass
-- Factory Gel Seat, Luggage & Liners
-- Bestem Topbox
-- Bagster Tank bag & Cover
-- R&G Crash Protectors
-- 55w Fog Lights[/size]

The Kurgan

Quote from: "abruzzi"$5k is very good, $6k is still pretty good for a low mileage bike.  $7k would have to be absolutely pristine.

Geof

Dear god, I must have been ripped-off:

$10,240 OTD (CAD). Dealer threw in gel seat and the Tiger came with the TOR can and tune. The Tiger was like new with only 1400 km on it.
-- TOR Can & Tune
-- Bestem Topbox
-- R&G Crash Protectors
-- 55w Fog Lights[/size]

noivson

4,000 miles, faded speedo....lack of use, and out in the sun too much. Lube up the chain and change the oil. Then wipe off that grin...."Girle" riders are a serious bunch....
Ride More-Worry Less! \'05 Lucifer Orange \'S\'

crabtre

Thanks for the replies!  It will help when I start negotiations tomorrow.

Cheers!

jmurguia

Crazy enough, I sold '08 KLR after 4 months and bought a used '06 Caspian Blue.  KLR was burning oil & Kawasaki told me, "too bad." So I sold it...Best thing that happend to me lately.

YOU WILL NOT REGRET THE UPGRADE! 4 months of ownership and I'm still obsessed with riding my Tiger! I can't stop smiling when I ride!!! (Staintune exhaust really adds to the whole experience & it makes it hard to keep the front wheel down).

Planning a weeks run to Mexico during Thanksgiving break (Laredo/Durango/Mazatlan/Copper Canyon/West Texas). Rode my KLR to Guanajuato in March for a week and made it back in 1 day. Almost 8oo miles in the cold, but I was anxious to see my wife. KLR did well, but no power and seat sucked. Can't wait to ride in luxury next trip on myTiger!

But, expensive to have worked on and expensive parts will break in the dirt if you don't buy engine guards, etc.  

Good Luck and strike while the coals are hot!
2006 Triumph Tiger - BEST BIKE I\'VE OWNED!

HockleyBoy

Go for it, you will love the 05 and what's more it's the right colour!
05 Tiger Lucifer Orange (resting) 07 GSX-R1000TT K7 71 Triumph T25T 17 Tiger 1050 Sport

FrostedFlake

[slight thread hijack]
QuotePlanning a weeks run to Mexico during Thanksgiving break
Jmurquia, maybe we'll see each other on your Mexican trip?  I'll be the other Blue Tiger.  Planning to race the B1k again this year, then switch over to the Tiger, ride down to La Paz, ferry across, then back up through Copper and on to home.   :shock:
[end hijack]

To Crabtre - ditto to all the other responses.  You won't regret it.

crabtre

Well guys... I took the plunge...

I'm the new owner of a 2005 Lucifer Orange Girly!

Fairly sure I only got a so-so deal... $7700 out the door (including taxes, fees, tags, etc.)

I wish it wasn't quite so much, but its very, very clean.  Its only got 4800 miles and the only issue I found was cracked paint on the speedo needle and a kinda/sorta dry rotted brake switch plug cover.  I've got a few days before I pick up the bike, but hopefully will be riding it this weekend!

Thanks to everyone for the advice

M.T.

Don't worry- you won't regret the price for long!  

When I bought my '06 I thought it cost quite a lot, but now I know it was one of the best deals I ever made!
-RainRunner Extrordinaire

The Kurgan

Quote from: "crabtre"Well guys... I took the plunge...

I'm the new owner of a 2005 Lucifer Orange Girly!

Fairly sure I only got a so-so deal... $7700 out the door (including taxes, fees, tags, etc.)

I wish it wasn't quite so much, but its very, very clean.  Its only got 4800 miles and the only issue I found was cracked paint on the speedo needle and a kinda/sorta dry rotted brake switch plug cover.  I've got a few days before I pick up the bike, but hopefully will be riding it this weekend!

Thanks to everyone for the advice

Better price than I paid up here in Canada.  :D
You won't regret the decision. A fun bike to ride. WAY more power than the KLR.

My only suggestion is to purchase crash bars. You know how top heavy the KLR was, right? Well, the Girly is about the same: easy to drop!   :lol:
-- TOR Can & Tune
-- Bestem Topbox
-- R&G Crash Protectors
-- 55w Fog Lights[/size]

Stretch

Quote from: "The Kurgan"My only suggestion is to purchase crash bars. You know how top heavy the KLR was, right? Well, the Girly is about the same: easy to drop!

And a new replacement fuel tank is about $800 USD.

crabtre

Any recommendations on the crash bars?  I've seen several on the site, Thunderbike (seem to stick out extremely far), Ma's, Hepco-Becker, SW Motech...?

Stretch

Quote from: "crabtre"Any recommendations on the crash bars?  I've seen several on the site, Thunderbike (seem to stick out extremely far), Ma's, Hepco-Becker, SW Motech...?

Take a couple minutes to read this thread (3 pages):  http://tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,4140