News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Tiger Bites The Dust

Started by HockleyBoy, September 06, 2008, 01:50:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HockleyBoy

Went out at about 7.30 last night to go down to the local chip shop for some tea, as I approached a T junction braking gently, the front wheel locked and lost all traction, DIESEL SPILL, I was doing about 35mph and the bike went down on the left side. I slid along the road quite a way but fortunately stopped inches short of the road at the bottom which has some fast moving traffic.

Fortunately I am ATGATT so I didn't sustain to many injuries, couple of grazes, bruises and a cracked rib it feels like. I must say the Belstaff Jacket and Alpinestars boots stood up really well. My foot was trapped under the bike as I slid and the toe sliders/ankle protection did their stuff.

The Tiger dosen't seem to have faired so well, tank scuffed to bits, nose fairing damaged, top box scuffed, foot rests, indicators and gear lever broken. The engine casing wore through and spilled the oil everywhere. Have spoken to the in surance co and the early guess is write off but I am as I write this waiting for them to collect the bike and bring it home for assessment.

Then its the wait so see if it will be fixed or if I am in the market for a new Tiger.

I HATE PEOPLE WHO SPILL DIESEL!
05 Tiger Lucifer Orange (resting) 07 GSX-R1000TT K7 71 Triumph T25T 17 Tiger 1050 Sport

aeronca

sorry to hear about this - glad you are alright, though. shame about the tiger.     eric
Steamers Rule!!!
It's Tire, not Tyre

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!

HappyMan

I am so sorry!  Glad you're o.k.  Hitting a diesel spill is a sure take down.  :(
Life is hard.  It\'s even harder if you\'re stupid. - John Wayne

Life\'s too short......Let\'s ride! - HappyMan

http://ridedualsport.com

Bixxer Bob

Glad you're ok mate,  bikes can always be replaced.  Did you have any form of crash bars?  I'm guessing not..... :roll:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

HockleyBoy

No crash bars, was on my list to do but hadn't got round to it  :cry:
05 Tiger Lucifer Orange (resting) 07 GSX-R1000TT K7 71 Triumph T25T 17 Tiger 1050 Sport

John Stenhouse

Bad news, glad your OK. Crash bars are a must buy first for tiggers
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

Dr. Mordo

Wow, bad news.  Sorry to hear it, but at least you aren't dead.
1999 BMW F650

1996 Tiger

blacktiger

Glad you got away with it. Get the repairers to fit some Touratech crash bars when they do the rest.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

Groucho

Glad to hear you are O. K., sorry to hear about the crashed Tiger.
I myself am very fond of my Tiger's crash bars...

I hope your Tiger can be repaired!
"Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana." Groucho Marx

HockleyBoy

Thanks all, lesson I have definitely learned my lesson, as soon as the bike is repaired/replaced on go crash bars.

HockleyBoy

Well the insurance company collected the bike last night for assessment/repair so now I sit and wait for the verdict.

It is already a nightmare being Tigerless :(

dazco

Sorry to hear about your off :( .
Diesel is a killer and from what ive seen bus drivers and truckers dont give a shit about it (generaly)
Glad to hear that your ok and hope you get the bike sorted  :wink:
There is a fine line between genius and insanity, ive just crosed it.

HockleyBoy

Well it's good news, the insurance company have confirmed that my Tiger is being repaired and that the parts are on order.  :D

Apparently I only managed to do about £3,200 worth of damage which is below the market value so no write off.

I am putting aside some cash for the fitment of new crash bars as soon as the bike is returned.

John Stenhouse

Good news man, hope your back riding soon
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

HockleyBoy

Thanks John, I am hopeful that I will have the bike back fairly soon as it is in the workshop already. The only thing that should cause a delay is the wait for parts from Triumph.

As soon as it is back its time for crash bars, not sure which yet but I am leaning towards Touratech at the moment as they seem to be the most popular.