News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Stripped my caliper

Started by hobie, September 06, 2008, 08:38:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hobie

I miscalculated the Nm to foot pounds conversion and way overtightened my rear brake caliper mount.  Result: stripped the thread on the mount, but not the bolt.  
Does anyone know a fix or source of a used replacement?  A new one is $433 at Bikebandit.
Hobie

Black \'98 Steamer.
It\'s not ugly, it\'s uglificent.

Mustang

this is what you want to fix the stripped threads with , they work great and will give a steel thread repair that is permanant , unlike a heli coil which will  screw up from repeated fastening and un fastening
You can get them from mcmaster carr online and they have several sizes to choose from .

Dr. Mordo

How much space is behind it?  Can you buy a longer bolt and put a nut on the back of the caliper?  Certainly buy grade 8 bolt/nut if you do this!  I might also use a drop of blue loctite.
1999 BMW F650

1996 Tiger

hobie

The disc is right behind, so there is no room for more bolt.  However, I looked at Bikebandit's price list more closely and discovered I just need the 'caliper carrier' (a wishbone-shaped holder) that is a mere $122.  

Mustang, does that coily thing have a name?

Thanks for your replies,
Hobie
Hobie

Black \'98 Steamer.
It\'s not ugly, it\'s uglificent.

Mustang

Quote from: "hobie"The disc is right behind, so there is no room for more bolt.  However, I looked at Bikebandit's price list more closely and discovered I just need the 'caliper carrier' (a wishbone-shaped holder) that is a mere $122.  

Mustang, does that coily thing have a name?

Thanks for your replies,
Hobie
They are called Metric Key-Locking Threaded Inserts and are page 3206 of the online catalog at McMaster -Carr
http://www.mcmaster.com